Everything Else

What pointless thing are you doing right now? - Page 8

Trying to coax this gorram Blade 1000 into re-formatting the hard drives I didn't realize were formatted with the wrong block size...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01/SY22, Korg DW-8000/MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/M1/03-RW, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris
do you remember william tell ivy?
start practicing how to walk with an apple on your head as your girl prepares her darts

meanwhile, since you like r. l. stevenson, read the “suicide club” :)
surrealdeal wrote:
skywriter wrote:
ClassicHasClass wrote: Working on [snip] Linux. [snap]

That's pointless enough right there! :-)

Do you ever get that creeping feeling that dealing with source-code is one of those zen things, like raking a garden of sand, designed to distract a person from the fact that their life is empty and that they are poverty ridden?

YES! It was the singularly most horrible experience I had before I retired. Looking through and trying to improve code that was so bananas and nobody would let you make a change because they didn't know what the effect would be - even though I already determined what the effect was, and it was the right thing to do. Hardware engineering was so much more mature. I don't believe that there is an engineering discipline to software that is practiced anywhere but in textbooks and academia. Elsewhere I would just call it 'coding', which is merely a small step above typing.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
Grieving.

He said the boards still had their chips. The recycler pulled all the VLSI's. Even the TG option is unusable. The passive pin plug on the bottom is missing. That was a $250 transaction.....
Best I can salvage out of this is the TG option, the Z-buffer, the Bitplane, the ram and the Bt431KC for the dual cursor hack (okay, I guess that still makes the deal worth it). Enough to max out my second 4D/20 and up the ram in my R3K Indigo but I was hoping for enough parts to make a a running 4D/35.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Oh that is some bullshit . I'd demand money back.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
even pulled the EPROM I see. anything that could be yanked with a pair of pliers.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
That sucks
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Pentium - not to suggest throwing more money at the problem but I just saw a complete (actually complete) PI electronics module listed on eBay.

No affiliation with the seller but thought you might be interested. I have one of these machines myself so I keep an eye out
The TG option alone makes up for the dead boards. Honestly that was the gem I was after (and it has its chips!) so now I can at least have TWO maxed out 4D/20's. ;)
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Washing El Car-O
guardian452 wrote: Washing El Car-O
IMG_7673.JPG

Why don't you guys have a front number plate?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
We put them in the back instead. I guess because people tend to pull into parking spots nose-first here?
We have to have them front and back.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
I wish! Maybe then car drivers would stop aiming at us pedestrians (I still run every morning) like it's an arcade if we could see their license number *before* they ran us over!
uunix wrote: We have to have them front and back.

Many (most?) states here require front and back as well, but it's not something that's heavily enforced. I drove my last Acura for almost 15 years in both Texas and California without a front plate and was never ticketed. ::shrug::
:Onyx2: :Indigo2: :O3x0:
KY has no front plate but I still have the bracket for it from when I lived in Ontario and Ohio...
Made a donation, I got me mah Purples! :)
Installing AutoCAD R12 and the AME onto a 730TE tablet.

The install went fine (it fast!) but I've lost my AME key! It's not in the box. It's not even in the R12 box! What the hell??
That's a key generated from the product serial number, so even in the unlikely event I were to try and google that, any other keys that someone might of posted elsewhere will not work. Panic! PANIC! Image

Enjoying my new shirt while the laundry is done.

A purple shirt! Say it loud and wear it proud...

PS: Who is Kjaer?
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2: