Everything Else

What pointless thing are you doing right now? - Page 2

uunix wrote: How did you get on chap?

Certain loa display very distinctive behaviour by which they can be recognized, specific phrases, and specific actions.
As soon as a loa is recognized, the symbols appropriate to them will be given to them

Concerning actions, and reactions …
.. it seems that recently we are in troubles with a few Loa spirits of Haitian Vodou and Louisiana Voodoo

one should give cane, straw hat, and pipe to lord Legba, and top hat, sunglasses, and a cigar to lot Samedi
so, once the loa have arrived, fed, been served, and possibly given help or advice, they leave.
Otherwise certain loa can become obstinate, or hostile … and more evil and spiteful than a Poltergeist

May be a coincidence, it happens to me, too, a few hard drives lost with a lot of pain and overdose of blasphemy
which is a backbone for the cause: the more you have no respect for Loa spirits, the more they multitask their anger

so, I bought a few candles, and I am burning incense to show them my respect

I do not believe in them
but I +r.e.s.p.e.c.t+ :D
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
Managed to back up all the pictures and other important stuff, and got the array back online in degraded state. Seems as if the Intel RAID controller can spot when a disk has problems and can degrade the array accordingly and warn, but after a reboot it forgets this, sees two disks in different states, and so offlines the pair of them. Solution is to physically disconnect the faulty drive and reboot. However, having both disks disappear on me did result in a bit of a brown-trousers moment as I quickly checked how old my last backup was!

I've got a replacement drive now, so will be popping that in when I get home so the array can rebuild itself. Hopefully it'll be all sorted then.

Now to make a mental note to do backups more frequently :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Trippynet wrote: Solution is to physically disconnect the faulty drive and reboot

In Cerberus each hard disk power interface is connected to a switch, and each switch is controlled independently
If an hard disk becomes faulty, it will be physically disconnected, and the master node control will reboot the node where the faulty hard drive gets disconnected
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
ivelegacy wrote: I am reading the Risc PC Technical Reference Manual (TRM)
and all the documentation from Simtec (located in Lancashire, North West of England)
they developed a strange kit called " Hydra ", product code AUHYDRA , it comes with 5 CPUSLOT s
it's a sort of multiprocessing kit for RiscPC :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Simtec (later bought by Chalice) is well-known for doing all sorts of ARM stuff back in the day. I had heard of the Hydra, but this is actually the first time I've ever found pictures of it, thank you for sharing them!

There used to be some experimental support for it in NetBSD/arm32 in the 1.x days; I'm not sure it survived the split of the arm32 ports afterwards.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
I should be working on any number or Real Life things, but instead I've been 'researching' EVE online, one of the games on my must-play-this-at-some-point list. Fascinating to see how CCP uses time as a game mechanic.
miod wrote:
ivelegacy wrote: There used to be some experimental support for it in NetBSD/arm32 in the 1.x days; I'm not sure it survived the split of the arm32 ports afterwards.

Hydra, as hardware, is very difficult (and expensive) to be found, it needs a special patch for RiscOS, and I do now know if v4.39 has support (probably no), so my interest is about its documentation, just because it looks like a multiprocessing system :D

never checked NetBSD/arm32 v1.* (does it come with support for Hydra?), but I can try to download

I have built a switching DC/DC, 5V/-20V (yes, negative, 20 under zero)
I have also bought a few DC/AC, 5V/HC inverters, to be used with neon (typically used in LCD backlighting)
ivelegacy wrote: never checked NetBSD/arm32 v1.* (does it come with support for Hydra?), but I can try to download

The only report of a succesful Hydra boot I could find is http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-acorn32/2002/11/04/0001.html . Note sure if all the code involved in this ever reached the official source tree, though.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
I am reading all the pointless posts in this pointless thread - a pointless^2 thing to do...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
I'm finishing off upgrading the hard drive in my Intel based Mac Mini (one of the early Core 2 Duo ones). And I'm also remembering how much of a PITA Apple stuff can be at times - mainly because of their "one way of using it" approach. Do everything exactly as Apple expect, and no problems. Deviate at all, and it'll just not work.

On a PC, it's a doddle. Boot from an Acronis boot disk, mirror the drive across using a USB -> SATA adapter, and it takes care of all the partitions and different sizes for you. On a Mac with a BootCamp partition, it's a bleeding nightmare.

Connected the new drive via USB and told Disk Utility to partition into a 40GB partition (for BootCamp), and the rest for MacOS. Use Disk Utility to easily mirror the MacOS partition (took 8 hours), then realise that Disk Utility screwed up the partition sizes. Re-do with the correct partitions, then find out that Disk Utility can't mirror a BootCamp partition, so had to get WinImage for it.

WinImage demands me to use BootCamp utility to set the partition up, and the BootCamp utility refuses to touch an external drive, so did a drive swap (primary drive now connected via USB). Now, BootCamp utility refuses to use an existing partition - it needs a drive with just one partition. So, repeat the above partitioning/mirroring AGAIN, only for the BootCamp utility to now decide that if it's running from an external drive, it cannot be used. Reboot from newly imaged drive and run BootCamp utility again, to now be told that the new drive has a Master Boot Record partition table, and it only supports GUID partitions.

So yep, re-partition the bloody drive yet again, finally get the BootCamp utility to create the correct partition, then run WinImage and create the image. Try to restore to new drive, only to be told image is larger than the new partition, and WinImage cannot shrink it. Instead, you have to shrink the original BootCamp partition with WinImage, then create an image of it, then restore that to the new partition.

So, finally all done, but bloody hell I want to go back to the simple flexibility of Acronis TrueImage next time. :(
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Use the CLI, Luke.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Eating a Fray Bentos Steak, Pie reading Trippynets struggle and listening to Roberto Martinez moan that Manchester City's goal was delivered from a ball that was OUT! It was indeed.. but get used to shite.. if you want too moan.. become an Aston Villa fan..then you'll have something to fscking moan about... no purchases this January.. doomed to relegation, can't score in a brothel.. oooh sorry I digress! (I still have faith).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
VenomousPinecone wrote: Been reading the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, Avery & Heath-Stubbs translation.

Also learned how to make Hiroshima Okonomiyaki, made it for family and friends last night. Was great.

Vladio wrote: Modifying a hot plate to use on the still I'm making. :twisted:

Excellent! I am planning on making one, any recommended reading?

Ha, it's all done. I got a ton of info from the Home Distiller forum. Hot plates control their temp by turning the power off and on which plays hell on distilling, I tore all the "guts" out of the hot plate and wired directly to the coil with 800*F wire. I found a schematic for a temp controller and it works great. It controls the current to the coil instead of the on/off cycle. I'm going to run it this weekend. Search home distilling, there's a lot of info out there. PM me if you get stuck.
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
We got 38" of snow that I had to clean up last weekend? :? Yes 38" (.96 meter).
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Pfft. We call that "Tuesday" and go to work.

:-)
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image
I went to work. :lol:
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
My place of employ following the infamous Armistice Day Blizzard, in the lower left corner the watercourse is the Mississippi River:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
no doubt the award for the most Pointless is GaGa's

currently she is having her shower,
and 9 billion people can't listen to what she is singing

- Eh Eh, Nothing Else I Can Say, Electric Chapel -

Live Fun Concert under the Shower :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Running...
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.

I am designing a PLL PCB in Eagle/CAD, forcing 1 layer, instead of using Altium :lol:
Searching for a document I didn't save.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: