Everything Else

What pointless thing are you doing right now? - Page 10

I pulled all the digital guts out of a Guitar Hero drum set and replaced it with an Arduino Pro Mini microcontroller.
Now the $10 second hand drum set is a MIDI enabled drum instrument.

Image Image
Image Image

There's a video on how to do this, by the way. ;)
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Hell of a Sound Canvas you've got it hooked into :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
pentium wrote: Now the $10 second hand drum set is a MIDI enabled drum instrument.

Awesome hack!
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Trippynet wrote: Well, I flew back from a training course the other day. The plane was a small 30 seater JetStream plane, and as you can see from the picture, there was a grand total of 1 passenger (ie, me).

Quite nice having your own personal jet and stewardess for a flight (who kindly took this picture). Also had a nice chat with the pilot too before we took off - he said it seemed rather daft to use the tannoy for one person, so just came and spoke to me direct. Definitely one of the more memorable and enjoyable flights I've had :-)

20160309_175016.jpg

I can never compete with a whole airliner to myself, but empty seats are happening more often lately. Either it's a location thing or a seasonal thing? I had an empty seat (the best seat buddy is no seat buddy!!) last week (LAX to IAH) and then another whole row to myself (IAH to CLT) Both flights were on time.

pentium wrote: I pulled all the digital guts out of a Guitar Hero drum set and replaced it with an Arduino Pro Mini microcontroller.
Now the $10 second hand drum set is a MIDI enabled drum instrument.

There's a video on how to do this, by the way. ;)

That is pure titties, I love it! :mrgreen:
Working on building my e-commerce platform, and listening to the song Robosonic - Worst Love, which is also available on YT and features a pretty funny video clip. (The video clip they used is unrelated to the song, it is from one of the sequels of movie called "Lemon Popsicle")
oOoO :Tezro: oOoO
ivelegacy wrote: who's been a good boy? who's been a bad boy?
" American Horror Story " I am watching the first series, " Murder House "
even Gaga, whose tastes are exemplary, likes the series :D :D :D

That is a good series, unlike the second one.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
I'm trying to design/put together a woodworking 'shop' (as the americans call it) in my kitchen coz my flat isn't big enough for a 'shed'. Any good suggestions for converting/modding a simple workmate 301 into a table saw... Current idea is to design some sort of 'drop in' mounting unit into the jaws of the workmate. Which might involve replacing the standard jaws with bespoke ones. And yes, of course part of the fun is trying to do the moderately impossible with very modest means and a 'wrong' location, because after all my woodworking the whole 'workbench' needs to fold away behind my bedroom door and the kitchen has to go back to feeding people sawdust-free food :)
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
Got bored with the old ones and made some new wallpapers

http://duck.at.shangtai.net/files/pegboard/
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Watching grown men kick a ball around and falling over like toddlers..

I have though purchased some XLR - RCA cables as I have neglected sound in my conquest of Video editing.. <- ooh Wrong thread! :oops:
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Listening to the Kinks and not doing what I only have 5 days left to do..

I did spend the evening playing on my new G7000 Videopac with my son this afternoon.. nostalgia is a terrible thing..
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
I'm busy not going to bed, watching Tokyo Ghoul instead.
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
Writing an SDL rotozoomer with support for per-line rotation/scale/offset parameters so I can do SNES RPG-style tilted-plane map effects without having to dig into OpenGL. Already did a proof-of-concept version in FreeBasic, but it was slow as shit because I didn't make any meaningful attempt to optimize on even the algorithmic level. Hopefully the end result here will be a hell of a lot faster.
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
commodorejohn wrote: Writing an SDL rotozoomer with support for per-line rotation/scale/offset parameters so I can do SNES RPG-style tilted-plane map effects without having to dig into OpenGL. Already did a proof-of-concept version in FreeBasic, but it was slow as shit because I didn't make any meaningful attempt to optimize on even the algorithmic level. Hopefully the end result here will be a hell of a lot faster.

I'm unsure how pointless that is commodorejohn, it sounds like you have found a planet we can all live on and is rather fantastic!
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

It's almost 3am and I can't sleep.
commodorejohn wrote: Writing an SDL rotozoomer with support for per-line rotation/scale/offset parameters so I can do SNES RPG-style tilted-plane map effects without having to dig into OpenGL. Already did a proof-of-concept version in FreeBasic, but it was slow as shit because I didn't make any meaningful attempt to optimize on even the algorithmic level. Hopefully the end result here will be a hell of a lot faster.

Make sure you add at least 8 sprite layers - and add support for FM sound - some of us prefer FM sound and games from the NES and Genesis (which have fewer colours but more FM sound over the SNES, which I think the cutoff filter and the *only* wavetable generation b-o-ring
:O3x02L: R16000 700Mhz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane:
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4400 100MHz 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R12000SC 300MHz 192MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.7GHz 2GB RAM kasha
Heh :D Layer count will actually be pretty much arbitrary, and sprites are just graphic objects blitted into the layers, so (minus performance considerations) there shouldn't be much of a limit on that. (Heck, you could even have multiple rotozoomer layers - say, a ground map and then a sky map with the same rotation but inverted scaling and a much slower parallax motion. Just need a little fog to hide the sharp-edged horizon and voila, instant skybox.) As for sound, it's still (mostly) in the planning stages, but I'm scheming up a combination subtractive/FM softsynth (plus some kind of wavetable support so at least sampled drums can be used.)

(Also: the SNES sound chip is actually strict wavetable with no proper filter at all, save for the bit that does reverb. What occasionally sounds like a lowpass filter is actually adjustably-weighted linear interpolation between samples, to smooth out the artifacts caused by its built-in sample-compression format.)
commodorejohn wrote: Heh :D Layer count will actually be pretty much arbitrary, and sprites are just graphic objects blitted into the layers, so (minus performance considerations) there shouldn't be much of a limit on that. (Heck, you could even have multiple rotozoomer layers - say, a ground map and then a sky map with the same rotation but inverted scaling and a much slower parallax motion. Just need a little fog to hide the sharp-edged horizon and voila, instant skybox.) As for sound, it's still (mostly) in the planning stages, but I'm scheming up a combination subtractive/FM softsynth (plus some kind of wavetable support so at least sampled drums can be used.)

(Also: the SNES sound chip is actually strict wavetable with no proper filter at all, save for the bit that does reverb. What occasionally sounds like a lowpass filter is actually adjustably-weighted linear interpolation between samples, to smooth out the artifacts caused by its built-in sample-compression format.)

I see. Unfortunately that explanation re: the SNES sound chip is a little beyond my knowledge of music. All I know is that the way it runs makes things sound muted and stupid compared to how I prefer FM sound - I really like the way later FM systems were capable of switching voices on the fly. I like the YM2612 as well as the 2608 used in the PC 9801-86
The muffled quality to a lot of SNES games has more to do with crappy samples at low sample rates than anything else (I suspect there was a default set in the devkit or something because a lot of games from different developers seem to use the same ones.) In the right hands it can sound quite good (*cough* Chrono Trigger *cough*)

FM avoids that problem because every sound is always synthesized at the same (relatively high) master sample rate and nothing has to be compressed to save memory. (Plus, the technique just naturally lends itself to complex, overtone-rich sounds - Gordon Reid's excellent "Synth Secrets" series for Sound on Sound gives a clear explanation as to why in these three articles .) Of course, FM has its own pitfalls (particularly the "everything sounds like rubber bands and farts" syndrome heard on too many DOS games with token-effort Sound Blaster support,) but so does anything.
commodorejohn wrote: In the right hands it can sound quite good (*cough* Chrono Trigger *cough*)

Oh certainly, I don't for a second discount the wonderful soundtracks on the SNES - but the fact remains that MOTHER 2's tracks carried over from MOTHER on the Famicom sound, brighter and more lively to me I guess.

commodorejohn wrote: ) Of course, FM has its own pitfalls (particularly the "everything sounds like rubber bands and farts" syndrome heard on too many DOS games with token-effort Sound Blaster support,) but so does anything.

Most of the DOS games I play are well passed the point of the SB16 - well into the AWE32 era and beyond.

Some soundtracks made in FM I think are stellar are Touhou 4 and 5 on PC-9821, especially the boss tracks for those, and the entirety of Herzog Zwei on the Genesis (I have three copies of the game I love it so much)
Pointing a cantenna at my friends house and hoping we can connect via Xbee.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy: