Everything Else

What pointless thing are you doing right now? - Page 5

Going off-chip will kill you everytime.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
Developing film in my bathroom.

I've forgotten how relaxing this was.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: Developing film in my bathroom.
{snip}
I've forgotten how relaxing this was.

I'm ever so slightly freaked out that your bathroom has the exact same style of tub, vanity, and fixtures as my childhood home once had.
I'm just amused by the Turbo Pascal handbook sitting atop the commode.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/Jupiter-6/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01, Korg DW-8000/03-RW/MS-20 Mini, E-mu Proteus MPS/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn wrote: I'm just amused by the Turbo Pascal handbook sitting atop the commode.

Why? What else do people read in their bathrooms? :lol:
josehill wrote: I'm ever so slightly freaked out that your bathroom has the exact same style of tub, vanity, and fixtures as my childhood home once had.

Now that you mention it, they do look very familiar. I think they were common for houses built in the early '70s.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
In Arise v3, "tap" comes renamed into おたく/オタク Otaku :D :D :D
have fun
ivelegacy wrote: Don't you like Berkeley RISC legacy (SPARC) ? :D
Do you prefer the Stanford University solution (MIPS) ?

The point is that even the principal people involved with SPARC were forced to recognized that register windows were a bad idea, eventually. Anybody doing an out-of-order SPARC has at some point wished they had a time machine, so they could go back in time to when the idea was proposed, and slap with a rotting herring whoever was responsible for it.
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
Got to be honest, it's not often I read whilst on the toilet, sometimes I may look at my phone.. but to develop pictures.. cripes!! that's just ground breaking!! and so productive!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
R-ten-K wrote: The point is that even the principal people involved with SPARC were forced to recognized that register windows were a bad idea

the point is that Arise is RISC-like just in some aspects
e.g. it's fixed opcode length, it has stages, it has load/store and a lot of registers
but it's multi cycle with no pipeline
and if you do not have a pipeline, you do not have all the RISC troubles :D

it's a comfortable CPU, and you can conformably program in assembly
it aims for being RISC-like, easy to be implemented in fpga, fast in its responds,
all of these without being less friendly and comfortable than 68k

(which, the 68k, is comfortable and elegant to be programmed in assembly,
but … too slow in its responses, and too complex to be implemented in vhdl)

uunix wrote: Got to be honest

Got to be honest, Arise v2 was inspired on the toilet
sometimes GaGa removes my playboy magazines from there
so, I was idle of good lectures :D
have fun
I'm servicing a Saeco Royal Professional super-automatic espresso machine:

My parents in law introduced me to these, I serviced that one a couple of times (it has > 56000 coffees and counting ...), so I bought them a new one, bought one for us, one for work, one for my father in law's yacht club and now this one which I got for €50 because it had a "short circuit" -- a burned out motor for the brew group transport (cost me €12 to replace). I'll keep this one as a spare if one of the other Saecos develops a problem. These things are (semi) professional units, quite reliable and parts are readily available and cheap. Unfortunately, the engineering is typical a Italian job:

I mean, get real. Why not bundle wires and keep them away from the hot boilers? Half of those wires carry 230VAC, btw.

This particular unit is from 2001, so I think I'll do a complete rebuild, replace the boiler gaskets all other O-rings. Costs only a couple of bucks and then it's good as new 8-)
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Downloading all the friggin manuals that I can get my hands on from the SGI TPL, even for the machines I don't currently own. Doing it "just in case" the SGI TPL site goes belly up and we all start seeing 404 errors.
SGI: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Fuel:
SUN: T2000 (x2], SunBlade 1500 Red (x2), SPARCstation 5 (x2) - Nextstep/Openstep, SPARCstation IPX
Alpha: DEC AXP 3000/300LX, API CS20 (Dual 833 Mhz CPUs)
Cobalt RaQ 550
jan-jaap wrote: I'll do a complete rebuild, replace the boiler gaskets all other O-rings

lucky you are double-J-man, here I am fighting with a motorcycle control unit, which comes under "resin", even if this is not a sticky flammable organic substance, it is inorganic and insoluble dark matter, very hard to be removed as its purpose is to make the reverse engineering too hard, sadly in this case ... the control unit has a damage somewhere in its circuits (a few fast diode has gone ? some exploded capacitors ? transistors got a blast ? resistors burned ? microcontroller died ? it doesn't smell good, it smells something burned, but who knows ?), so that resin is making the repairing stuff so hard that I am really tempted to say "have fun by yourself" the the friend who asked me to help him, as no doubt things are going hard, and the repairing will take me a lot of time :lol:

can I say: I envy you, just because your machine has no dark-resin over the hood and you can reverse engineering in a more comfortable way ?

I do, I envy you :D :D :D :D :D
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
Admiring more of my photographs.

:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

pentium wrote: Admiring more of my photographs.

Scan-160224-0001.jpg

I think I saw that scene in Inception... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
oh, an article by the magazine "Iris Universe number 39, 1996"
was titled " Architecture of Workstations Silicon Graphics SGI "
while number 38 of Iris Universe is dedicated to the 1996
incoming new OCTANE workstation among other articles.

is it a must-have for every computer geek or high end SGI user?
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
jan-jaap wrote: I'm servicing a Saeco Royal Professional super-automatic espresso machine

Jesus.. that cabling.. looks almost like the Alfa 155 I had... :lol:

Nice! :) Reminds me I should get going before my 30 metre roll of photo paper turns useless.. My Kaiser Enlarger is waiting in the bathroom. What camera is that? I presume a Hasselblad?
:Onyx2:
Mamiya. I got a pretty good deal on an RB67 Pro S out of South Korea last spring. $350 for the body, lens, viewfinder and film back, plus $50 shipping. Great camera but good christ it's heavy.

reading about the Transporter technology used in Star Trek :D :D :D

if such a devices allow near instantaneous transport between two fixed points, one can … spy the whole volley girls team (GaGa has subscribed as her new sport activity) and get evaporated in a whistle - emm transported away (in a safe place) - before they (or she) can react :D :D :D :D

marvelous technology, I still have to understand if I can control it under Irix :D :D :D :D :D

kids to the rescue!

pentium wrote: Admiring more of my photographs.

mirror mirror on the wall...

pentium wrote: Mamiya. I got a pretty good deal on an RB67 Pro S out of South Korea last spring. $350 for the body, lens, viewfinder and film back, plus $50 shipping. Great camera but good christ it's heavy.

all mamiyas are nice and built to last, congratulations

my all time favourite camera for stills is the fuji gx680, dressed-up in a full studio setup, it weighs as much as a decent crt monitor, no joke. every time i take it on the road it slims down to 5.5-6Kg

and oh pent, does your mom still work in that lab? gotta find me some infrared film, the more expired the better :)