Everything Else

What pointless thing are you doing right now? - Page 6

Working on resurrecting Linux for the Dreamcast with an impossibly old kernel.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote: Working on resurrecting Linux for the Dreamcast with an impossibly old kernel.

do not feed the zombies

I really hate today - with no love for tomorrow - linux for things like these because it's a slaughter, with more blood than the killing of humans for food in a zombie-party

Loooooniiiiixxx is not really written in C, the Santa Schoolmarm of safeC taught that " everything that is written in C should be portable without hurting your brain ", but linux is written in GNU-C, which doesn't know if It can open up, everytime is like a birthday present, aggressive regressive, where the past is over so pathetic, fated, faithful, or fatal? One has to genuflect on GNU cross, are we fated, faithful, or fatal? And if you are feeling stoned and alone like a heretic, then you are ready to meet your maker, asking him the why on the why GCC comes incompatible with itself, as gcc v3 can't recompile gcc v4, and gcc v4 can't recompile v3 without blathering a lot of blasphemy on the console.

My " Atlas board " (made by MIPS inc.) was developed before kernel 2.6.16, say 2.6.10, the age of gcc-v3, or v2.95: every attempt to recompile this old kernel with gcc-v4 comes into a so deep depression with billion errors followed by million of WTF?!?!?!? on the console, that I was praying up to twelve kind of aliens (including the most beast ones from the Alien" movie,1986, by James Cameron) to lead me out on the martian floor, since no doubt that life as their toasted lunch would be better than hearing all of those bullshit about geGNUflecting on double-crossed glossed over in your pathos.

Hence, instead of frying my brain with tomato and sausage to feed the zombies, I offered my finger _|_ to looooooniiiiiix, Lazarus has got no dirt on me, I'll rise to every occasion without headache and I am feeling fine.

Xinu (is it "uniX" on the mirror?) is a piece of cake to be used, easy to be ported, well written, with ugly-unsafe-code segregation

happy coding :D :D :D
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.

every attempt to decrypt the above GaGa-message is resulting into a bloody dead spot
she says. … - invitation or play your fate - because she wants to be accompanied to a party,
and I only like Acid Rave HardCore parties, but umm it seems I can't say - no! - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my English still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
@ivelegacy

fix the transporter and teleportation and i’ll hook you up with vip passes for any rave on the planet

Damn Scientists, They Lied to Us! wrote:
this was supposed to be the future

where is my jetpack,

where is my robotic companion,
where is my dinner in pill form,
where is my hydrogen fueled automobile,
where is my nuclear powered levitating house,

where is my cure for this disease

you’re like a decade late but but oh man you remind me of diego. you have a lost brother on the other side of the atlantic, italian & member of nekochan :D
fu wrote:
pentium wrote: Developing film in my bathroom.

kids to the rescue!

LOL! Or is it?????
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
ClassicHasClass wrote: Working on [snip] Linux. [snap]

That's pointless enough right there! :-)
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote:
fu wrote:
pentium wrote: Developing film in my bathroom.

kids to the rescue!

LOL! Or is it?????

i took a quick look at my registration date when i posted that; i realised that i know pentium and syb guardian since they were preparing for college. now if he could only find me some expired HIE

1..2..3..10..1..2 ahem

out for a drink guys, first round’s on me :)
fu wrote: out for a drink guys, first round’s on me :)

Chilled cherry beer for me! What's your poison?
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
I'm contemplating feeding the troll in the "Would it be a good idea to pick up an SGI for programming?" thread. But I'm too old and jaded to go out and pull the remaining winter roots out of the vegetable patch.
@dex me and Oskar are the gin guys here and the bartenders of the board!

@jimmer lol no

do you remember the psycho with the font-formatting addiction PLUS a signature neurosis? he used to spin off a username every day to the point he’d have a whole thread talking to himself.

i really don’t understand why people don’t just take a walk instead

btw, is your "my o2" video still around? it should be on the wiki
I've yet to touch HIE. Even 3200 Delta feels scary to develop.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Posting travel photos, lol...

Last week I went on a trip for work. Fly to LAX, drive all over California, and then Phoenix, and fly home from there.

CVG->LAX on Sunday afternoon started with a delayed flight. The ground crew took 5 hours to change out some tires. Pizzas may or may not have been delivered to the tarmac. ;) Every time I travel there is a delay because of a mechanical problem. Last time it was the plane's cabin lights. What can I say, I have a knack for breaking things!

Good news is, plenty of room when we took off as most of the passengers were shuffled to meet new connections. I had the whole row of 3 seats to myself. (737-800)

By the time I found my tool bag, got the car, and got out of LA it was about 1:30 in the morning. Me and Sid stopped at a Jack in the box across from a truck stop.

0800 Monday. First van. They said the AC wasn't working but left out that they wrecked the condenser... I said I could fix it while I was there. Since the bumper cover was intact it must have been a well-placed debris strike.

Another unexpected surprise on one of *****'s delivery vans. Something hit a battery strap sending it into the pack. Now these things are tough, but not as tough as a concrete curb. I used a $6.99 toob o' goo (the really good stuff!) to seal it back up again after a quick inspection to make sure there was no water inside and the film heater, which is the bottom-most layer of the battery pack, was intact. And a new bracket delivered, because I didn't feel like straightening out the old one.

City of Shafter now. Admiring their charge station installation.

And their garage.

The reason I'm here, for private customer's van. (Not the city) In addition to fixing little stuff, I was actually sent out to replace a motor sub frame which had somehow cracked...
I can get the front clip off of a promaster/ducato in about 20 minutes now. Not counting recovering the freon and draining coolant. Without power tools. Assuming the lights and sides stay on. Otherwise.... maybe 30 minutes.

Lots of almond groves. And some pistachios. But the almond trees are in bloom.

The San Joaquin valley is an interesting landscape. It's as flat as holland, but surrounded by mountains in the distance.

Tuesday I went for a morning run in Bakersfield and found some MLP-FIM inspired road names.

Excellent signage for Bakersfield Chrysler/Jeep where I went for the new condenser. I only drove past once...

Perfect weather the whole trip.

Shafter city center.

Thanks to Shafter Transmission and Smog for allowing me the use of their shop and tools. We send all of our customers in the Bakersfield area there, because quality of the work is not something I have to worry about. Nice to finally meet him in person and help out!

Good morning Phoenix, from my hotel room. The night drive was uneventful. Stopped at a nice Italian place in Pasadena for dinner after missing my exit. (Apple maps does have a reputation to keep up ;) got in around 3:00 in the morning.

I'm glad I visited. This van has been neglected for a few years, with some botched mods. At some point the AC compressor was replaced (this was an early van, back when we were still using the fusion/escape compressor) The person installing it decided to use wire nuts instead of the adapter harness we had sent. You can see exposed conductors, but don't freak, it's only the shielding. It could have been worse. He could have used scotchlocks. Seriously, it's only 360VDC, what could go wrong?!

A botched attempt at probing the power input for the 12V converter. It's shielded exrad, anyway. The issue was the output ground was loose. But why check the simple stuff when there is shiny high voltage to play with! This van has had a lot of issues over the years, and with people like this working on it, it is easy to see why.

The wire was repaired. The harness is now 2.5 inches shorter (bit tight but perhaps too much slack before!) and the connector terminals have been replaced ;)

Flames add an easy 20 BHP...

A 22 gauge wire had been munched off the tiny sumitomo connector for the AC connector signal cable. Right at the back of the connector, with about 1/4 inch sticking out the terminal. So it was this guy, and not the wire nuts, that was causing the AC to not work.

But without a replacement terminal, we were SOL. I couldn't splice it, because the break was right at the seal. I carry a lot of spare connectors and terminals, but not this one. I can't just bring a whole spare van with me! I could have one shipped from our shop but it wouldn't show up until tomorrow morning!

Next time I am bringing my own soldering iron...

The botched probing of the shielded power input also meant the main junction box had to come out to replace the fuse. Note the harbor freight heat gun box. I travel light and carry tools that I need and assume that a shop will not have. They will have sockets, wrenches, transmission jack, and (hopefully!) an AC machine. Etc. Anything electrical, or connector tooling, I bring. Inevitably, I usually have to buy some little thing. I'm not above using a cigarette lighter to seal heat shrink and soldering with propane, but with over two dozen splices to repair, a 10 minute errand saves an hour of frustration.

Boba has the right idea to combat the Phoenix heat (91°F). This photo sums up the scene nicely. Nothing better than working below a van on a car lift that can only go up 3' because of the van's high roof, and above a dirt floor. It's much nicer than the midwestern heat (aka... 85°F temp and 85°F dewpoint) I'm used to. In the desert heat I didn't have even one drop of sweat dripped on the sheetmetal :D

My hero at Import Auto who allowed me use of their facility and tools. If you need your motor fixed in Phoenix, Moe's your man.

A creative AC hose faucet. Markie likey! Available next season at overpriced home-design outlets everywhere!

Bag packed ready to come home :)
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
Very cool pictures, at least someone is getting sunshine on this planet.

Shiny Fluke bag! With matching colors and all that. My multimeter is a 112, still going strong after all these years. What's yours?
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
ivelegacy wrote: Image
Simtec Hydra multiprocessor, 4 CPU cards, labelled { ARM1 .. ARM4 }

I am reading the Risc PC Technical Reference Manual (TRM)
and all the documentation from Simtec (located in Lancashire, North West of England)
they developed a strange kit called " Hydra ", product code AUHYDRA , it comes with 5 CPUSLOT s
it's a sort of multiprocessing kit for RiscPC :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Links to the images are giving 404 errors - for other late arrivals to this thread see http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... Hydra.html - from the linked text document, I think RISC OS 4.39 could cope provided that the user has software written with the Hydra API to access the additional "slave" CPUs.
But for a RiscPC with a StrongARM, using the Hydra instead would be a downgrade for most (all?) applications!
Fuel ; Indigo2 ; Octane ; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39 or Debian-etch; Dell Inspiron4100/P3 1GHz/1GB/Debian-stable; EspressoPC ViaC3/900MHz/256MB/Debian-testing; RPi B RISCOS5.23; Rpi2 Raspbian-jessie; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21; R140/35MHz/4MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21
pentium wrote: I've yet to touch HIE. Even 3200 Delta feels scary to develop.

go on try it if you can find a roll or two. it plays nice with all developers. i only develop it with kodak d76 though. be strict on the turns and the shakes while its inside the film tank (doesn’ t like shaking too much).

the ilfords are baby do-gooders, there’s nothing tricky about them.

guardian452 wrote: CVG->LAX on Sunday afternoon started with a delayed flight...

awesome, get ready for mediterranean blue

are the security checks sane now? some time ago every time i had to do the jfk<—>lax dance i had to go through rows of batteries being detached from laptops. "what’s that sir? is it a bomb sir? is it a terrorist device sir?" i once answered “yes, yes, yes i’m the fucking easter bunny” and they almost didn’t get the joke. :lol:
Lots of LAX traffic around here. Currently in SYD myself visiting the fiancee. Didn't get too badly assaulted by the LAX crew on my way over, but I had to repair my shoe with volatile compounds, so there's still time for a full cavity search on the return leg. At least it'll keep me awake.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
dexter1 wrote: Very cool pictures, at least someone is getting sunshine on this planet.

Shiny Fluke bag! With matching colors and all that. My multimeter is a 112, still going strong after all these years. What's yours?

Also have an 8845A, and a 1507 insulation tester, and a bunch of smaller tools. Some of their probes are surprisingly crappy but generally I don't have a problem with the yellow stuff.

fu wrote: are the security checks sane now? some time ago every time i had to do the jfk<—>lax dance i had to go through rows of batteries being detached from laptops. "what’s that sir? is it a bomb sir? is it a terrorist device sir?" i once answered “yes, yes, yes i’m the fucking easter bunny” and they almost didn’t get the joke. :lol:
I almost never have a problem. Take your laptop out of the bag, take your shoes off, get zapped by the same machine they use in Halo to test their armour-suits, and go on your merry way... International travel tends to be a bigger problem, at least coming home. US border patrol doesn't like anybody without an American passport, so I don't think I'm getting a special treatment there.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
it wasn’t a passport thing for me (i still have a us one), the airport staff has gone insane. some time ago in berlin the security girl went nuts over a super8 editor i was carrying, i lost 1 hour while she was scanning a totally analogue, mechanical thing and empty too. the damn thing looks like:

editor.jpg
danger danger

i’ve also done some jailhouse rock 2 times in countries with an unmasked dictatorship, luckily we were all together (cast+crew) and the girls kept improvising with the mustaches untill the ambassador’s car showed up.

@chc, on your way back from oz, try to wear some flip-flops and see if it works any better :)

we’ve gots to fix the transporter guys

playing with HDL and fpga, I have developed a super simple VDU (video display unit) able to display 80x40 chars on a 640x480-VGA screen with 1 bit of color, green only :D
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ, ... }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB, GBA, PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight } ~ ~ I am still Learning English, be patient with me ~ ~
about me , there are just a few things to know: I am exuberant , and I love the urban dictionary : is it a problem ?!?
Well, I flew back from a training course the other day. The plane was a small 30 seater JetStream plane, and as you can see from the picture, there was a grand total of 1 passenger (ie, me).

Quite nice having your own personal jet and stewardess for a flight (who kindly took this picture). Also had a nice chat with the pilot too before we took off - he said it seemed rather daft to use the tannoy for one person, so just came and spoke to me direct. Definitely one of the more memorable and enjoyable flights I've had :-)

Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30