Everything Else

What pointless thing are you doing right now? - Page 1

Well, currently I'm trying to save a program (ie cassette - audio in) to my indy via soundeditor and then reload it back into my MSX.
The recording works fine, and I can relive the wonders of the 1980's but having difficulty reloading it back.

What other pointless things are you doing?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
1) Reading up on emulator design from http://www.codeslinger.co.uk/
2) Making a patch set to GemRB latest version with MIPSPro compiler. I'm at 82% done now.
3) Thinking what to do with an MFM RLL disk i found in an old shipping box at work.

Well some stuff aren't quite pointless, but hugely entertaining. :o
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
Nothing much. Finishing up glueing a Monroe 325 Scientist calculator back together that USPS did a number on and wondering if I should plan a 500 mi trip to pick up a PDP 11/44 and stuff.
:Indy: :O2: :Octane: :Octane2: :Fuel: :Tezro:
Other than answering this post?-) Unifying all my tripod heads to Arca-swiss (a grand total of two). I also just finished moving my on-line photo collection to iSCSI rather than NFS because windows (which runs the raw developer) is shit at NFS. The iSCSI target is a file (on a level 5 raid), mounted RO locally on the host machine via (vnd and fuse and) ntfs-3g so the photos can be fed individually to backup tape rather than pulling the entire filesystem image every time (bacula doesn't do block-level differentials AFAIK). Works great.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Modifying a hot plate to use on the still I'm making. :twisted:
:Octane2: Octane 2, Dual 600MHz R14k's, 2GB, v12
:O2000: Origin 2200, Dual 300mhz, 2GB
:Onyx2R: Onyx2
Mac Pro dual quad Xeon 16GB 1TB
HP dual core 4GB 500GB
Dell Workstation Dual quad Xeon 8GB 500GB RAID
Imac | HP laptop | Compaq | Commodore 64 floppy | TI 99 38k Peripheral Expansion Box
Building pkgsrc on Solaris, finally, and trying to find a bug in my TMS9995 emulation for my Tomy Tutor emulator.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Installing System 7.5 on a Powerbook Duo 280 in preparation for selling.
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image
Contemplating getting out of bed.
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
dexter1 wrote: 1) Reading up on emulator design from http://www.codeslinger.co.uk/

Planning on writing an emulator, or just interested in how they work?
Ha ha, you guys are all cooler than shite... 8-)

So I found an Nvidia Quadro FX 3000G lying around at work, I brought it to the IT guys and they said I could have it because they would just throw it in the recycle bin, now admittedly this thing is old but HP sold it for $3000 back in the day, and it's got a genlock and full multisystem visualization and multidevice film and video environment skills, so I'm hoping I'll be able to get it working with my Octane and Tezro VBOB's for doing... Really Cool Stuff. Anyway it took me all day to get it running on my Slackware machine because the Nvidia driver source code has to be hand hacked to get it to work with modern Linux kernels (like mine) that no longer support the acpi_remove_notify_handler() function call, and who's bright idea was it to remove that from the kernel source anyway? Some crazy ass crackers are saying Linus did it deliberately because he hates Nvidia, and, by extension, any Linux users who use Nvidia products. :roll:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: Some crazy ass crackers are saying Linus did it deliberately because he hates Nvidia, and, by extension, any Linux users who use Nvidia products

the Science says it's - suffer the opposite - xfile :D
refers to the punishment of souls in Dante's Inferno, by a process either resembling or contrasting with the sin itself.
What the robot Hell, so we have the scientific proof that looooooniiiiixxxxxxx put your feet in Purgatorio :lol: :lol: :lol: :

edit:

I am polishing and hacking this marvelous british 68k-board (made in 1986)
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
nyef wrote: Planning on writing an emulator, or just interested in how they work?

Mainly interested in the different techniques of emulating CPU's, although my main motivation for reading up is to help make emulating SGI machines a reality. Fortunately, MIPS emulation is relatively straightforward and several emulators already have been written. The hard part is the ASIC's surrounding the core, but that's not different from many other systems.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
GaGa dressed like a she-pirate, don't ask why she figures like a blonde
I want to tease her hair style, && what if I make my hairstyle like Skrillex, my love ?

because she happens to teach me how should I dance
and she doesn't know that nobody can rock like robots

she said something like the above about Skrillex's hairstyle (OMGaga)

since that I love to put things made by { Daft Punk, Deadmau5, Skrillex, kraftwerk }
on my gemini-mixer, since the last time I did, I have been designing a few funny covers
to be uploaded on iPod nano (there is no why? just because I wand to express my humor)
I wish I could enter into the vegetable garden of William Gibson , on the right of a director, to decide how a film is ultimately released for public viewing, but I am not a nor Cyberpunk writer neither a dude in Hollywood , and my * flawless English * still looks like an old rusty trailer which needs a fix-up, so my personal wonderland begins with a pill ... tumbling down the rabbit hole , where the sky above the router port is the color of television, tuned to a dead channel and some gears still need a debugger there.
dexter1 wrote:
nyef wrote: Planning on writing an emulator, or just interested in how they work?

Mainly interested in the different techniques of emulating CPU's, although my main motivation for reading up is to help make emulating SGI machines a reality. Fortunately, MIPS emulation is relatively straightforward and several emulators already have been written. The hard part is the ASIC's surrounding the core, but that's not different from many other systems.

The problem I've found is a distinct lack of R10k/R12k/R14k/R16k CPU emulators, which means more work required in order to support Octane or Origin (including Fuel and Tezro as Origin variants). I suppose O2 or Indy support might be possible in the context of QEMU, though.

So, what pointless thing am I doing right now? Reading fiction instead of writing some code to load an Octane PROM, map it into some semblance of an address space, and start simulating instructions. Which has been on my to-do list for a week now, sidelined partly by work and partly by reading fiction.

We might want to spin off a new topic for emulation stuff (another emulation topic?) if we want to continue on this line. And if you are aware of any R10k type CPU emulators, please let me know. It might save me a pile of work. (-:
Reading Being and Nothingness . Quite relevant for this thread.
No signature
Just spent a couple of hours figuring out why my G5 no longer talked to the outside world ( I could ping internally). Resetting the PRAM took care of the problem and now I'm surfing the web and looking for PPC software I can install. I was able to download Blender 2.63a and get it working, now I just need to learn blender.
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
Ha. I'm on my G5 surfing Nekochan. That's pretty pointless. ;)
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Right now I should be working on an important presentation for work next week. However instead, I'm attempting to recover the bloody data RAID array in my PC which has failed. Seems one drive has packed in, and the other switched to offline. Booting into Windows to be told that your primary data drive is offline is not nice.

Managed to get the working drive back online, and am now doing an emergency backup of my most important data from it. I did have a backup already, but it's a fair few months old, and losing several sets of holiday photos (plus other important work) isn't part of the plan.

Then I guess I have to replace the dead drive next week and enjoy my PC grinding for about 6 hours whilst it re-builds the array.

All this happened when I was in the middle of replacing the system drive in my Mac Mini and working out how to clone the contents of my old one across. So right now my office is a mess of hard drives, dis-assembled computers, USB to SATA adapters and the likes.

Fun and games :(
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Simtec Hydra multiprocessor, 4 CPU cards, labelled { ARM1 .. ARM4 }

I am reading the Risc PC Technical Reference Manual (TRM)
and all the documentation from Simtec (located in Lancashire, North West of England)
they developed a strange kit called " Hydra ", product code AUHYDRA , it comes with 5 CPUSLOT s
it's a sort of multiprocessing kit for RiscPC :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Trippynet wrote: Right now I should be working on an important presentation for work next week. However instead, I'm attempting to recover the bloody data RAID array in my PC which has failed. Seems one drive has packed in, and the other switched to offline. Booting into Windows to be told that your primary data drive is offline is not nice.

Managed to get the working drive back online, and am now doing an emergency backup of my most important data from it. I did have a backup already, but it's a fair few months old, and losing several sets of holiday photos (plus other important work) isn't part of the plan.

Then I guess I have to replace the dead drive next week and enjoy my PC grinding for about 6 hours whilst it re-builds the array.

All this happened when I was in the middle of replacing the system drive in my Mac Mini and working out how to clone the contents of my old one across. So right now my office is a mess of hard drives, dis-assembled computers, USB to SATA adapters and the likes.

Fun and games :(

How did you get on chap?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: