SGI: Development

Nekoware-current - Page 8

Wow. Nice shot! :shock:
squeen wrote: Second-hand Octane on ebay......................................$300
mencoder and ffmpeg from nekoware................................$0
Nekochan.net annual fees....................................................$0

Making cross platform movies from IRIX.............*priceless*.

today is a good day :)
thanks all

Squeen, I am very sad to inform you that you'll have to take that photo down, toss your Octane and go buy a nice new Dell wintendo machine. There is no place even in a mom-n-pop for this kind of thing. That Octane consumes too much power and it's too big and too slow. No one can do worthwhile work with old SGI junk so just give it up and move on.

We have this on the highest authority.
hamei wrote: ...No one can do worthwhile work with old SGI junk so just give it up and move on.

We have this on the highest authority.

Aye! Aye! Sir! :)

In a related note I under went an MRI scan yesterday. The OS running the system was IRIX (Onyx?)!
Just tell me what other OS you'd trust your brain to?

Cheers.
The user "kasbah" reports an error that the old sqlite extension for php5 doesnt work when using PDO.

So i have replace the neko_php5_sqlite with a working one.

regards
Joerg
Just uploaded a new neko_firefox-2.0.0.1.tardist to /beta - latest and greatest release.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
squeen wrote: Image
No MLI? Just Kapton?
In case the last post confused anyone, unixmuseum is letting me know he works in aerospace. :)

MLI = multi-layer insulation or "blankets"
Kapton = kapton tape (in fact HST uses silverized teflon---kapton is the yellow stuff)

Either way, despite the progress of the past year (leaving Performer in May and writing a C base scene graph library from scratch & moving from IR4/IRIX to nVidia Quadro FX/Linux AND completely rewriting the visualization app...*whew*) there's still quite a lot missing from the model and the viewer. The immediate goal was decent frame rates with dynamic environment (cube) mapping, shadow mapping and per pixel lighting all playing nice in the scene. (5 fps...ugh!). Right now the shaders are the bottle neck. Hopefully the newer nV cards will help.

As for model improvements, stay tuned... :)

That said. I apologize for cluttering the nekoware thread with a tangent. What I really was psyced about was how nicely the nekoware media tools (ffmpeg and mplayer) were working for animation creation. I'm gonna try the DVD authoring tools in the near future as well.

Minor quibble on mencoder and (?) ffmpeg is that they seemed to have dropped SGI RGB image format support, so I'm stuck converting the frames to jpeg (which takes the most time).

Again thanks to the nekoware porters for putting those tools at my finger tips (before I even knew I needed them!).

@neko: I just tickles me to death that the version of Firefox I run under IRIX is more recent than all the Red Hat installations. You rock! (It also cracks me up I can't get SuperTux to run under Linux, but IRIX and Mac work just fine.)

Happy holidays!
squeen wrote: I What I really was psyched about was how nicely the nekoware media tools (ffmpeg and mplayer) were working for animation creation.

Neko Irix mplayer works better than Windows Media Player :P
Yes. The mp4 created by ffmpeg preserves colors better than mencoder (avi container) and has the advantage of playing nicely on IRIX, Linux (w/ mplayer) and OS X (w/ Quicktime). Neither ffmpeg nor mencoder created files played using window media player (on OS X, I don't have a Window machine).

A weirdness though on IRIX & Linux mplayer playback of the .mp4 created with ffmpeg using HDTV 1280x720 sized frames. The playback window is stretched. xwininfo report 1536x720. Why? Quicktime plays it back at the proper aspect. Weird.

Another weirdness:
neko_xscreensaver-demo now crashes and complains
screensaver-demo
Error: Cairo does not yet support the requested image format:
Depth: 32
Alpha mask: 0x00000000
Red mask: 0x000003ff
Green mask: 0x000ffc00
Blue mask: 0x3ff00000
Please file an enhacement request (quoting the above) at:
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=cairo
Assertion failed: NOT_REACHED, file cairo-image-surface.c, line 155, pid 4877
Abort (core dumped)
holmes4:~:
X error in fliptext:
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GetWindowAttributes)
Resource id in failed request: 0x38000c9
Serial number of failed request: 12
Current serial number in output stream: 13

I've got neko_cairo-1.2.2 installed. Don't know why this started happening. I don't think I messed with software lately.
squeen wrote: Error: Cairo does not yet support the requested image format:
Depth: 32

I think Cairo can only deal with a 24-bit visual (-depth 24 on Xservers line) - 8 (IRIX default) or 32 cause it to crash.
All Rights Reserved.
Ho ho! Good catch Neko. I have the desktop set to 24bpp, but...like we had in SGI freeware's gtk+ once long ago, the Octane is capable of 32bpp, so some dumb Linux apps just grap the "best" and then assume it's 24bpp. Cario must have been fallen victim to sloppy Linux programming. A patch is probably in order.
squeen wrote: A weirdness though on IRIX & Linux mplayer playback of the .mp4 created with ffmpeg using HDTV 1280x720 sized frames. The playback window is stretched. xwininfo report 1536x720. Why? Quicktime plays it back at the proper aspect. Weird.

Hmm, do those files contain bogus aspect information for some reason? (Mplayer should print the aspect ratio it thinks the file has). You can use -noaspect to prevent mplayer from honoring such aspect information or -aspect to override it.
squeen wrote: In case the last post confused anyone, unixmuseum is letting me know he works in aerospace. :)
:-) Was just wondering if you were also graphically modeling MLI, that should be quite a sight...
squeen wrote: @neko: I just tickles me to death that the version of Firefox I run under IRIX is more recent than all the Red Hat installations. You rock! (It also cracks me up I can't get SuperTux to run under Linux, but IRIX and Mac work just fine.)

Well getting 2.0 straightened out was a bear, but once the porting work is done it's trivial to produce the point releases. The fun will begin again when they move on to 3.0 ;)
All Rights Reserved.
schleusel wrote:
squeen wrote: A weirdness though on IRIX & Linux mplayer playback of the .mp4 created with ffmpeg using HDTV 1280x720 sized frames. The playback window is stretched. xwininfo report 1536x720. Why? Quicktime plays it back at the proper aspect. Weird.

Hmm, do those files contain bogus aspect information for some reason? (Mplayer should print the aspect ratio it thinks the file has). You can use -noaspect to prevent mplayer from honoring such aspect information or -aspect to override it.

-noaspect fixed it thanks! It complianed some during the encoding but since the original frames (just jpegs) were corrrect movie aspect I don't know how bad aspect info got in. I'll have to learn more of the ffmpeg interface. The command I used was:
ffmpeg -r $FPS -b $bitrate -i frame%05d.jpg output.mp4
Updates:
neko_xchat-2.6.8 - GTK1 based IRC client

New:
neko_gdis-0.77.4 - display and manipulation of isolated molecules and periodic systems

regards
Joerg
joerg, you da man! gdis! wicked! :D
joerg wrote: Updates:

That's gtk2, right? I thought gtk1 ended at 1.8.something...
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
Alver wrote:
joerg wrote: Updates:

That's gtk2, right? I thought gtk1 ended at 1.8.something...

Youre right.

regards
Joerg
Do we have anything in /beta that can be moved to /current? Looks like some stuff has been in there a while now.
All Rights Reserved.