SGI: Development

Nekoware-current - Page 1

<!...>

EDIT:
This thread is for all your feedback regarding the GNOME/GTK 2 Office for IRIX project.
Checkout the products in g2office section of the Nekochan.net download arena.

Please don't hold back -- air all of your grips and complaints -- that's the only way we can improve the product.

Personally, I would like to thank semifly for his huge effort and of course Neko for making it all possible.

Enjoy!
OK. I'm going to continue to champion beta practices. When a major componet like GTK+, Perl, readline etc. gets updated and has the potential to massive disable nekoware, there needs to be a buffer---that's /beta. For top level apps with no child dependancies, it probably is less useful.

As for feeling disappointed about feedback, for the most part we port apps to meet a personal need and/or scratch an itch. That won't neccessarily translate to the community in general...well at least not immediately. But sometimes, maybe a year or so later, you will have made somebody's day/week/month in a big way. Let's hope's he/she takes the time to say thank you. My feeling is that most folks around here do. But, now that most the "core" apps have been ported, the odd-bits are less likely to win you immediate praise---which is unfortunate, because schleusel you do a fantastic job and we all benefit greatly from your hard work.
squeen wrote: OK. I'm going to continue to champion beta practices. When a major componet like GTK+, Perl, readline etc. gets updated and has the potential to massive disable nekoware, there needs to be a buffer---that's /beta.

I agree, but without feedback it's generally not too useful of a buffer. I try to test what I can myself but I have to wear so many hats just keeping up with my regular job testing is not something I can keep on top of on my own. I'll install/test things I have an immediate need for, but a lot of stuff falls through the cracks.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Neko, you shouldn't have to bear the burden for sure. Instead, the packager should razz the community "SOMEONE PLEASE TEST MY APP", not, "Neko, why haven't you moved my app out of beta?". I don't really see the issue with apps lingering in beta for awhile if no one tests them., but that just suits my needs. Again, for the no deps, we can skip this step. But, I really depend on IRIX and Nekoware every day and instability is a major bane for me. For a casual (dare I say Linux) mentality, maybe new=better works. OK, that was a cheap shot... :)
Pete,
about your tests with mysql 5.0.22. These version was a security only release and it contains no other fixes like the patches with correct the behaviour with the using of the wrong signals.

For more information about this issue take a look to
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=15869

Some time ago i have talk to Foetz about this issue and he confirm that all of his own mysql builds also effected. But he did not care if the problem and didnt create a bug report.

But its fixed in the bitkeeper cvs and with the last 5.0.24 release.

regards
Joerg
joerg wrote: For more information about this issue take a look to
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=15869

I don't think it's the same issue. It's not that I couldn't shut the server down - it's that it would crash whenever phpBB2 tried to query the database through PHP5 (whenever a user hits the page, crash/restart).
All Rights Reserved.
squeen wrote: Neko, you shouldn't have to bear the burden for sure. Instead, the packager should razz the community "SOMEONE PLEASE TEST MY APP", not, "Neko, why haven't you moved my app out of beta?".

I hope you got something wrong. The only thing what i have ask for if its time to move the packages out of the beta directory. Nothing more and nothing less.

It might be possible that you build your packages why you need them for your own. Thats not true for me. I have build most of them by request from the community. The other half are needed because of dependencies or why i like to build something with all of the extras and not only a limited versions.

I don't really see the issue with apps lingering in beta for awhile if no one tests them.

If the beta dir is growing and the packages are aging over the time it makes is harder to create new packages, because you have to take care of versioning and dependancies. So from time to time we have to move the bunch of packages.

Btw:
If i would like so see something in /current i would place it there.

regards
Joerg
joerg wrote: I hope you got something wrong.

Yes I did. I meant to include you with schleusel, neko (and others) in my praise for the prolific and excellent work you have done. :)

I see your point on stale beta dependancies, but all that is required to move from beta to current is only one other member to validate it works OK on their system. Too often our build systems can accumulate items that are missing from the packages. It's just a check on that.

Btw:
If i would like so see something in /current i would place it there.

Sorry, I don't follow what you are saying here.

Oh well...I see value in a /beta-staging, but also sense that Neko would rather do without the added responsibility. I totally understand that, and only want to deflect that responsibility to the developers and community members instead.
in beta:

neko_irssi-0.8.10a-tardist

Updated the version by Timo to the latest version, and to use perl 5.8.8.
There were a few weirdnesses in the package, which I fixed. But there's one I'm not sure about how inst handles it:

A file was packaged in subsystem neko_irssi.sw.perl while it actualy belonged in neko_irssi.sw.lib. In the new version of the tardist I moved this. What will inst do when upgrading the previously installed version of the package to this new one?
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
Just a followup on neko_mysql-5.0.24 - I wasn't able to get it to work :(

Same issue:

Code: Select all

060815 11:50:38  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 47650
060815 11:50:38 [Note] /usr/nekoware/mysql5/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.0.24'  socket: '/usr/nekoware/var/run/mysql5/mysql.sock'  port: 3306  Source distribution
mysqld got signal 6;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail.

key_buffer_size=16777216
read_buffer_size=258048
max_used_connections=1
max_connections=100
threads_connected=1
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections = 92783 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

060815 11:50:39  mysqld restarted

Oh, and I noticed that /etc/init.d/neko_mysql5 has:

PROG=neko_mysql4

Instead of:

PROG=neko_mysql5

So it wouldn't start until that was changed.

Sorry for the outage guys - just wanted to give it another shot.

On a positive note, I was able to turn the blog search back on after the neko_perl-5.8.8 upgrade (and 'DBD::mysql' compile); it was broken after perl-5.8.4 for some reason. Thanks much for the new version whiter!
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Just a followup on neko_mysql-5.0.24 - I wasn't able to get it to work :(

PROG=neko_mysql5

This was from the mysql-5.0.7 version. It was fixed in the current package. But the files is marked as 'noupdate'.

About the other problems i will go and see if i can reproduce it.

regards
Joerg
joerg wrote: This was from the mysql-5.0.7 version. It was fixed in the current package. But the files is marked as 'noupdate'.

Ah okay. Makes it difficult to push out changes/bugfixes to the startup script though. Maybe changing it to 'suggest' would be helpful.

About the other problems i will go and see if i can reproduce it.

No rush. 5.0.12 works well enough; I just find it odd that later versions are failing spectacularly. Maybe one of these days when I have a moment I'll do a diff between 5.0.12 and 5.0.13 and see if I can find something.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: On a positive note, I was able to turn the blog search back on after the neko_perl-5.8.8 upgrade (and 'DBD::mysql' compile); it was broken after perl-5.8.4 for some reason. Thanks much for the new version whiter!

No problemo. Glad to be of service.
Movabletype is the main reason why I had to work on getting a newer perl in the first place ;)
( Officialy MT 3.2+ requires perl 5.8.6+ )

I managed to get it working on irix running under mod_perl. The speed increase is absolutely stunning . If you're running apache 1.3 and don't use mod_perl yet, it's definnitely worth trying it.
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
whiter wrote: in beta:

neko_irssi-0.8.10a-tardist

cool, works great so far :-)
A file was packaged in subsystem neko_irssi.sw.perl while it actualy belonged in neko_irssi.sw.lib. In the new version of the tardist I moved this. What will inst do when upgrading the previously installed version of the package to this new one?

hm, the upgrade simply consists of removing the old content of the updated subsystems and installing the new content, no fancy merge procedure or the like.. so moving files between subsystems will simply work without side effects.
uploaded to beta:

neko_cyrus_imapd-2.2.12.tardist - new package of the same (still current) version because it had some hooks in the old perl tree
neko_cyrus_sasl-2.1.22.tardist new version
neko_db4-4.4.20.tardist new version

the cyrus_imapd build is linked against that new db4 version which apparently introduces some incompatibilities with the db files of existing cyrus imapd installations. Rebuilding them using db_recover (part of the neko_db4 package) fixed it for me. I placed a note about that in the relnotes. No other problems yet..

Anyway, even it its still the same release i'd like to watch it on my mail server for two days before moving it out of beta :-)
schleusel wrote:
uploaded to beta:
neko_db4-4.4.20.tardist new version

ok, this one broke neko_perl_db_file (and spamassassin with it..) :-|

I uploaded a rebuild of neko_perl_db_file-1.814.tardist against the new db4 to beta that fixes the problems..
I think freeciv2 is broken - it seems to have neko_audiofile.sw.lib as a dependancy, but the nekoware archive only contains a neko_libaudiofile.sw.lib.

Additionally, running swmgr over the entire archive - current and beta - I get a further conflict:

neko_dia requires neko_perl.modules.xml_parser

... which doesn't seem to exist, either (needs to be updated to neko_perl_xml_parser.sw.eoe?)
stuart wrote:
I think freeciv2 is broken - it seems to have neko_audiofile.sw.lib as a dependancy, but the nekoware archive only contains a neko_libaudiofile.sw.lib.

Grrrrrrr.... same problem again. We already hit it in the pass.
http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?p=79296&highlight=nekoaudiofile#79296

Looks like that i have problems with removing neko_audiofile :|. I have updated neko_freeciv2. Upload is in progress...... finished at 15:15 GMT+1

Stuart please test it if its now install and runing.

regards
Joerg

Stuart please test it if its now install and runing.

Yup - that's fine now. Thanks!
new in beta:

neko_cdrtools-2.01.01a11.tardist Joerg Schilling's CD/DVD writing tools.

The DVD wrinting part of it was closed source until recently and was distributed binary only (cdrecord-ProDVD). This lead to GPL only forks like the dvdrtools already in nekoware or the cdrecord-ossdvd patches.
That part of the cdrtools is now free too and still appears to be more advanced than the forks (those still don't support DVD+R for example) - althogh some linux distributions still won't start packaging cdrtools again due to the weird GPL/CDDL license mix. Personally, i couldn't care less about that fact, but if somebody has a problem with it, please scream now ;-)

The package is marked icompatible with neko_dvdrtools (and actually makes that one obsolete)

Note that i couldn't test the DVD support yet because i'll have to buy new dvd recordables first, so hopefiully it actually works as promised :-)

neko_xcdroast-0.98alpha15.tardist GUI frontend for the cdrtools.

I've patched it with a patch kindly borrowed from gentoo (thanks, goolge) that disables the checks for cdrecord-ProDVD to make it work with the new cdrtools.

neko_cdrdao-1.2.1.tardist disk-at-once cd-copying/recording tool

neko_smake-1.2a36.tardist Schilling's own make variant.. because the world doesn't have enough of those already *sigh*