SGI: Development

Nekoware-current - Page 6

uploaded to beta:

neko_dvdauthor-0.6.11.tardist - command line DVD authoring tools
neko_libdvdread-0.9.6.tardist - library for reading DVD-video images
neko_mjpegtools-1.8.0.tardist - tools for MJPEG/MPEG capture/editing/compression
neko_mpgtx-1.3.tardist - command line MPEG audio/video toolbox
neko_dvdplusrw_tools-6.1.tardist DVD mastering tools (does not interfere with neko_cdrtools. It mereley adds some additional tools)

neko_dvdstyler-1.4.tardist wxwindows based GUI frontend for the dirty dozen ;-)

I couldn't test it much yet. Creating a very simple project and letting it create the DVD structures and image of it at least looked promising though..

DVDstyler is built against wxgtk. I was hoping to be able to build it against wxmotif but that didn't work out due to apparently missing drag and drop support in wxmotif :-(
Just uploaded neko_gqview-2.1.1.tardist to beta on popular demand (well, at least one person asking for it... :) ).
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
where where alver ????

:D

regards

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb
schleusel wrote: uploaded to beta:

neko_dvdauthor-0.6.11.tardist - command line DVD authoring tools
neko_libdvdread-0.9.6.tardist - library for reading DVD-video images
neko_mjpegtools-1.8.0.tardist - tools for MJPEG/MPEG capture/editing/compression
neko_mpgtx-1.3.tardist - command line MPEG audio/video toolbox
neko_dvdplusrw_tools-6.1.tardist DVD mastering tools (does not interfere with neko_cdrtools. It mereley adds some additional tools)

neko_dvdstyler-1.4.tardist wxwindows based GUI frontend for the dirty dozen ;-)

I couldn't test it much yet. Creating a very simple project and letting it create the DVD structures and image of it at least looked promising though..

DVDstyler is built against wxgtk. I was hoping to be able to build it against wxmotif but that didn't work out due to apparently missing drag and drop support in wxmotif :-(

I can't wait to try the whole suite. Thanks!
neko_firefox-1.5.0.7.tardist now in beta ... let me know if there are any problems.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
GeneratriX wrote: is there any GNU/GPL replacement for Java? Just wondering. It would be great to have complete the web puzzle.

No clue :? but once they do, im playing jake on the octane.
VenomousPinecone wrote: No clue :? but once they do, im playing jake on the octane.

The jake page says it just needs Java 1.4 or greater - we have 1.4.1 on IRIX so I'd think it would be doable now ...
All Rights Reserved.
Updated/uploaded Firefox-1.5.0.7 with "official branding" as this was apparently a big issue for some. If someone can confirm that it still works as expected I'll move it to 'current' :)
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
VenomousPinecone wrote: No clue :? but once they do, im playing jake on the octane.

The jake page says it just needs Java 1.4 or greater - we have 1.4.1 on IRIX so I'd think it would be doable now ...

Hmmm, going to have to bring the quake 2 discs by the office and try this out. I forgot what exactly the problem was last time that had prevented me from playing :?
nekonoko wrote: Updated/uploaded Firefox-1.5.0.7 with "official branding" as this was apparently a big issue for some.

just out of curiosity, what's the difference ?
The difference is it says "Firefox" instead of "Deer Park". Just the addition of "ac_add_options --enable-official-branding" when building. I would have done that from the start but the Mozilla folks don't really advertise that switch in their documentation.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: The difference is it says "Firefox" instead of "Deer Park".

ah-ha ! that's certainly an important feature :-)
nekonoko wrote: If someone can confirm that it still works as expected I'll move it to 'current' :)

confirmed. ;-)

new in beta:

neko_x264-0.50.564.tardist - H264/avc encoder
schleusel wrote: new in beta:

Wow!; that's a damn cool addition! :shock:
schleusel wrote:
nekonoko wrote: If someone can confirm that it still works as expected I'll move it to 'current' :)

confirmed. ;-)

Excellent! Thanks for doing a sanity check; it's been moved to 'current'.

new in beta:

Wow, that sounds great - definitely will give it a try. Any chance for even a rough build of mplayer for x264 playback in the near future? That's the only missing piece ;)
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
new in beta:

Wow, that sounds great - definitely will give it a try.

don't be too exited about it.. it seems to be quite a dog on mips, but still helpfull to have around for smaller things i guess :-)

Although its much more comfortable to use it through ffmpeg or mencoder, so you can transcode from other codecs directly.
Any chance for even a rough build of mplayer for x264 playback in the near future? That's the only missing piece ;)

Yes, i'll upload an initial neko_mplayer (and an overdue update to neko_ffmpeg) this week - doesn't make much sense to wait much longer :-)

I did a few small changes to vo_sgi that i was hoping to get feedback for from vegac, but he seems to be a busy man currently - so i'll just leave those in for now, enough chances to revert things later if needed ;-)

I uploaded a very bare svn build (all external features disabled, only linked against system libs) two weeks ago, feel free to give it a try: http://www.kanera.de/mplayer-svn/
This one is built with the /opt/mplayer prefix so it will pick up the osd fonts and mplayer.conf of the old package if you have it installed. Just make sure to move the old codecs.conf out of the way.
schleusel wrote: I uploaded a very bare svn build (all external features disabled, only linked against system libs) two weeks ago, feel free to give it a try: http://www.kanera.de/mplayer-svn/
This one is built with the /opt/mplayer prefix so it will pick up the osd fonts and mplayer.conf of the old package if you have it installed. Just make sure to move the old codecs.conf out of the way.

Nice, thanks! It's very solid on the DIVX encoded content I've thrown at it so far in both avi and mkv containers (mkv has always been troublesome in the past); no crashes at all with this build. Doesn't like my h264 content much (lots of frame decoding errors) but still a very nice update.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Doesn't like my h264 content much (lots of frame decoding errors)

ah.. yeah, it does that when it drops frames. Apparently thats normal, the h264 implementation isn't very robust wrt framedrop yet :-| Still works ok though, just bitches. To check if that is the cause you can try with -noframederop (kills a-v sync of course).

One way to speed up h264 decoding a bit on files that almost play well is to turn off deblocking with -lavdopts skiploopfilter=all (doesn't hurt quality with high quality h264 files). A little benchmark with a 848x480 h264 trailer thats just beyond trouble-free on the 600MHz Fuel:

codec only (no display/audio): -nosound -benchmark -quiet -vo null

with deblocking:
BENCHMARKs: VC: 27.245s VO: 0.014s A: 0.000s Sys: 0.182s = 27.442s
without deblocking (-lavdopts skiploopfilter=all):
BENCHMARKs: VC: 25.149s VO: 0.014s A: 0.000s Sys: 0.127s = 25.290s

with display and audio: -benchmark -quiet

with deblocking:
BENCHMARKn: disp: 791 (19.78 fps) drop: 148 (15%) total: 939 (23.48 fps)
without deblocking:
BENCHMARKn: disp: 840 (21.00 fps) drop: 99 (10%) total: 939 (23.47 fps)

So in this case it reduced framedrop from 15% to 10%, not impressive but it helps in those borderline cases.

testfile was: http://images.apple.com/movies/wb/the_fountain/the_fountain-tsr_h480p.mov , found in some thread on the mplayer devel mailinglist lately.
schleusel wrote: ah.. yeah, it does that when it drops frames. Apparently thats normal, the h264 implementation isn't very robust wrt framedrop yet :-| Still works ok though, just bitches. To check if that is the cause you can try with -noframederop (kills a-v sync of course).

Aha - yep, that was the problem; was just expecting it to be a bit more verbose :) Looks like I need to find a 700 or 800MHz CPU for my Fuel. Thanks for the hints!
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Looks like I need to find a 700 or 800MHz CPU for my Fuel.

Get the 2 GHz one for proper 720p or (god forbid) 1080p playback :-|

Well, i'm sure there is still a bit room for optimizations.. h264 doesn't go through any of the functions that dexter touched so far ;-)