Everything Else

WHat do we all do (occupation)? - Page 1

I just began the wonderful life as an IT Security Administrator. I am learning the PCI PA-DSS side of things right now. After reading various threads on how members aquire SGI equipment, what do we all do?
Six years so far of delivering morning newspapers. (no joke)
Senior software engineer at a storage company, working with embedded software.
:O2000R: (<-EMXI/IO6G) :O200: :O200: :O200: (<- quad R12k O200 w/GIGAchannel and ESI+Tex) plus a bunch of assorted standalone workstations...
another 10 week contract as cad operator starts next monday for me, and hopefully that will be my last indoor job for quite some time (until next winter maybe)

also a university student for another year or two until I graduate.

and the rest of my life is up in the air :mrgreen:
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
25 years software developer. On UNIX since 1988 and everyone is trying to ram .NET down my throat. :roll:

R.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
I'm a software entrepreneur.
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
PhD until 2009, then unemployed quite one year. Hired as CAD-man in the R&D department of a pharmaceutical company for 2 months, then as test & characterization engineer and finally, since one week, as a R&D project leader.
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here .
Systems consultant in IT - mainly in storage, hardware and virtualization.
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
ramq wrote: Systems consultant in IT - mainly in storage, hardware and virtualization.

That's interesting. I'm involved pretty heavily in virtualization also. Are you focused more on the server side or desktops (VDI)? Which Hypervisors do you typically employ?
--
:Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Fuel: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:
Designer, architect, strategist, futurist for an IT infrastructure company.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
Independent Civil and structural engineer, for almost 15 year.

Check Out : http://www.markgoossens.be

----------------------------------------------------------
Some computers, two cats and two hamsters ;)
sr. software engineer.

Everything from device drivers to GUI applications. Lots of platforms, incl. UNIX (commercial & oss), Windows, RT and embedded systems (VxWorks & co) and even bare metal (FPGA boards without a 'real' OS).
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
12 years as a Systems Admin, both UNIX and Windows.
:O2000: :Indigo: :Indy: x2 :Octane: :O2: :Fuel: WIP :1600SW: x2
sgifanatic wrote:
ramq wrote: Systems consultant in IT - mainly in storage, hardware and virtualization.

That's interesting. I'm involved pretty heavily in virtualization also. Are you focused more on the server side or desktops (VDI)? Which Hypervisors do you typically employ?

Is there any other competitor than VMware? 8-)
No, seriously. Done large amounts of VMware ranging all the way back since 2.5 and touched Hyper-V in (very) small installations. I know only one customer running Xen. I mostly go for server virtualization and the biggest customer are running a couple of hundred virtual servers on NetApp storage via NFS.
Regarding VDI I have only done some (regular) VMware View installations, but the most interesting project was SunRay + VMware View.
:O3200: :Fuel: :Indy: :O3x02L:
Java Enterprise developer for 5 years.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:
that was a nice description smj :) . acrobatting between comedy and drama with a touch of we wuz robbed
Electrical engineer, currently developing hardware for commercial/industrial printing presses.
:Onyx2: 4x400MHz R12K Onyx2 IR3, 5GB RAM
:1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: R10K Indigo2 MaxIMPACT, 4 TRAMS, 768MB RAM, 2x9GB HD, CD-ROM, Phobos G160
Black Cardinal
Hardware designer, PCB and FPGA is what I have done for the past hmm 25 year gosh its almost over ;)
ofcourse only on Unix(Solaris and lately alot Linux), no VAX/VMS the first 5 years :)
--
No Microsoft product was used in any way to write or send this text.
If you use a Microsoft product to read it, you're doing so at your own
risk.
Degrees in life sciences; formerly head of bioinformatics at a global pharmaceuticals firm; also ran a genomics laboratory. I've had a consulting business for the last few years, with practices in data analysis and more generalized management consulting. I'm on the board of a few non-profit and for-profit organizations, too. I really enjoy coaching startups with business plans and business development.
Well, up until last Monday, been sitting on my unemployed thumb for 16 months. As of now I am part of a work group for the re-fueling shutdown at a local nuke plant. 28 days from now I'll probably be sitting on that thumb again until Peach Bottom goes down in September and Three Mile Island in October. I've done re-fueling shutdowns since 96, apart from that I have been employed as a union carpenter for the last 18 years until the economy ended up in the crapper. Before that I worked for Rexroth Hydraulics as an electronics tech/service tech.
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<