Everything Else

WHat do we all do (occupation)? - Page 3

Jack of all trades at a small specialized laser and electron beam welding company.

I do everything from IT to designing, building and programming custom control systems. My latest project was an automatic fixture for a helium mass spectrometer leak detector. I also do allot of repair work as some of our machines are decades old with all sorts of upgrades tacked on.
Coming soon! :O3x05R: On their way: :Onyx2: :Octane:
fu wrote: @87porsche, all of the printing houses i'm aware of run on macs for reasons of colour consistency, is windows ok for such a job? (not joking, genuine puzzlement)

Workflow modifications aside, we could easily get away with running Windows instead of Macs in our art department. It's just a matter of prying the $70 mice and keyboards out of their cold dead hands. :D It is of course the platform they've been accustomed to all these years.

For us though, the maintaining of color consistency occurs between the press and the customer's proof/existing printing. Then being able to reproduce that consistency time and time again in future jobs.

We do calibrate the iMacs and cinema displays (to the best of their abilities) to match what the presses can produce, but they'll never be 100% dead on with each other. So on the computer side of things, the emphasis is on the CMYK/RGB numbers... Which you can do on whatever platform you want.
good to hear so, thanks. a good friend is a retired master pressman, he used to tell me that proofing on windows just wouldn't cut it, that was ages ago tho.

as a kid i used to get summer jobs in printing places, loved every bit of it. work around a real press and you get to understand some aspects of colour :)
Sys admin. The company I currently work for caters to the SMB crowd. 3d modeler by trade but I required a much more steady means of compensation when the family started to grow.
System Engineer for the managed hosting wing of a large established software company in the Healthcare IT/EHR industry. I spend my day installing and maintaining proprietary medical applications and performing basic system administration on AIX, HP-UX and RHEL. There's also a little bit of Oracle 10/11g in there, but only when a DBA can't be arsed to check out the problem himself.

Eh, who am I kidding - I spend my day checking e-mail and reading Slashdot.
Since we're dusting off this thread ...

previously: system administrator/DBA (mostly HP-UX and AIX, a bit of Solaris and RH)

currently: physician (primary care and public health)

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 2GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Visual Effects since 1993
mostly feature film & television

and yes I am still using SGI!! just about everyday.
mostly my octane2 & Tezro.

Before SGI i was using amiga.

-mrbob 8-)

mostly feature film & television

and yes I am still using SGI!! just about everyday.
mostly my octane2 & Tezro.

Before SGI i was using amiga.

-mrbob 8-)

Doing my dream job! I envy you.

I'm doing everything under the sun with C# from ASP.NET, WinForms, WPF, WP7, MonoTouch, MonoDroid, MVC and recently Windows Workflow Foundation. While not doing anything groundbreaking at a global level like I dream of doing one day, I am glad to say, the applications I have written in the US Healthcare Accreditation industry blow away the government equivalents. It's been fun showing my applications to them over the years :)

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 :O3x0: 2x700mhz R16k/4GB
FANX

so what do you use your 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB for.

so what do you use your 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB for.

When I do get time to jump back into indie film making I wanted to use them for 1080p processing from my Canon XL-H1 & Nikon D7000, but in the mean time I've been writing small C++ apps to test scalability of my algorithms, since I don't get much time to test my code on my employer's 24 core Opteron HP G7s.

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 :O3x0: 2x700mhz R16k/4GB
Airline Pilot.

:Fuel: bigred , 700MHz R16K, 2GB RAM, V12, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
probably posted from Image bruce , 2x2x2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
For the last 30 years I was Senior System Administrator in one of the best-hated international organizations of the world (with a decent salary, I admit). Anyhow, I'm retired now but, believe me, I certainly enjoy I DON'T have to get up at 7:30 in the morning anymore :-)
Prior, Device drivers developer for one of the greatest IT company in the world. ( let's call it Big Blue)
Now, Device drivers developer for another one of the greatest IT company in the world. This one is competitor of Big Blue also( let's call it Red Evil).

Both companies has their own CPU brand and architecture. Both of them has their Unix OS also.

Mexico
BSDero wrote:
Big Blue
IBM :?:

BSDero wrote:
Red Evil
Lucent :?:

no wonder you're working on the USB for our IRIX hehe how is it? sorry wasn't able to do the test coz i disassembled my O2, got too excited for my next project :)

hmm i wonder which one is nice to have in IRIX, USB or BT/BLE?

Big Blue
IBM :?:

BSDero wrote:
Red Evil
Lucent :?:

no wonder you're working on the USB for our IRIX hehe how is it? sorry wasn't able to do the test coz i disassembled my O2, got too excited for my next project :)

You're spot-on with the first guess, but I don't think Lucent has an OS or CPU architecture.

The combinations of "red" + "CPU architecture" + "Unix" seems to point to Oracle. They inherited SPARC and Solaris from Sun.
dclough wrote:
You're spot-on with the first guess, but I don't think Lucent has an OS or CPU architecture.

The combinations of "red" + "CPU architecture" + "Unix" seems to point to Oracle. They inherited SPARC and Solaris from Sun.
hahaha actually that was my first guess too: ORACLE; but was hesitant coz what i only know was oracle before was only about database while SUN was not yet theirs hehe that's why i think Lucent coz of Unix but i wrongly assume they have hardware coz they were Bell Labs before? and funny was i remember i read or i hear from somewhere, Lucent was from the name Lucifer hehe so Lucifer = Red devil :twisted: hehe

Mainly doing datacenter revamps & migrations.

Hmm, but a company who pissed everyone with their Java claims can't be so great... But I never worked there, it might be different from inside.

Oskar45 wrote:
best-hated international organizations of the world

Microsoft ?

geo wrote:

BT is not easy, I remember from 10 years ago, in FreeBSD, when BT support was barely beyond simple serial port and modem support.
There was no A2DP, let alone have any AVRCP...

It's certainly possible, at least serial port could be implemented relatively easily - even as a hardware add-on..