Everything Else

WHat do we all do (occupation)? - Page 4

I work for a linux company as a software engineer. Been into unix/linux since 1998

BT is not easy, I remember from 10 years ago, in FreeBSD, when BT support was barely beyond simple serial port and modem support.
There was no A2DP, let alone have any AVRCP...

It's certainly possible, at least serial port could be implemented relatively easily - even as a hardware add-on..
hmm i see, ok noted ;) i just asked coz now i'm going to deal with BLE (BT4.0) TI chip on coming projects.. anyway my gXipmsg is almost done! it can send and receive now, but still need to modify the sending as a process to have it run on background.

gXipmsg will be the lightest and fastest way to pass around files and text massages on different Nix flavors with Motif to the modern Wintel and other platforms ;)

gXipmsg will be the lightest and fastest way to pass around files and text massages on different Nix flavors with Motif to the modern Wintel and other platforms ;)

Next stage for you - build up on the gXipmsg, and make it into a swarm network of all IRIX users, so that we can all stay connected :P

I am general manager of an Internet provider. I founded the company with my partners in 1996. Since the first day of the business I used a SGI workstation, today I still use my Tezro for my daily work.

My job title is "Staff Scientist" and I work for a global defense and aerospace juggernaut with major operations in Australia, India, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Kingdom and the United States, and minor operations pretty much everywhere...

So, uhm, say I wanted some big stuff transported cross the Atlantic? :twisted:

Seriously though, a pilot always seemed to me like a rather relaxed profession, but these days you hear about pilots that work to long shifts and get too tired. What's it like for you?

I am surprised that not everyone here works in computational technology.

I am just a kid in high school trying to make a startup.
Pontus wrote:
bigD wrote:
Airline Pilot.

Seriously though, a pilot always seemed to me like a rather relaxed profession, but these days you hear about pilots that work to long shifts and get too tired. What's it like for you?

Didn't seem relaxed to me, I am a licensed pilot (private). In flight school they said its not the impact of the crash that kills the pilot, its the mountain of paperwork that crushes them. I've worked on a military flight simulator and it seemed pretty much punch in some way point data into a CDU and let the APs fly the jet for you while you sort out hours of paperwork, rules and regulations.

Nuke wrote:

Today equivalent of a high school rock band in the 1990s.

R.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
rock and roll gets you a better shot with the ladies ;)

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
Who gets more tail, Bieber or Zuckerberg?

Nuke wrote:

I'm a mechanical engineer, working for a medium large automotive supplier in Koblenz/Germany. So i think there are quite some people here from outside the It business. But i admit i started loving sgi back in university in the 90s, and that didn't change much

Airline Pilot.

Ha! If there's interesting heavy iron in any of my cargo compartments, that plane will be going straight to my local airport! :)

Pontus wrote:

I have it pretty good when it comes to fatigue. We don't fly through the night, and typically just two legs per day. A couple of times per year the schedule breaks down and we end up flying to the limits of the regulations (16 hours on duty here in the States), which is pretty grueling, but it's rare. Guys on the lower tiers of the industry tend to get worked a lot harder - I'm by no means at the top, but I'm far enough up the ladder to not have to worry about being a zombie all the time either.

PymbleSoftware wrote:
I've worked on a military flight simulator and it seemed pretty much punch in some way point data into a CDU and let the APs fly the jet for you while you sort out hours of paperwork, rules and regulations.

It's definitely pretty routine, until something goes wrong or the conditions push us to the limits of what's legal/safe. As I tell people, I spend 95% of my job thinking I'm overpaid, and 5% feeling I'm grossly underpaid . ;)

I'm going with Bieber. I find (through 2nd hand experience, mind you) that women are more attracted to fame than money. Although both work wonders of course!

rock and roll gets you a better shot with the ladies ;)

I dunno - if you were in Europe, that picture of Sebastian Vettel you're using for a forum avatar might do pretty well... ;)

mjw.jpg
mjw.jpg [ 177.33 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

And me and my lady do just fine. Who is yours supposed to be?

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
:D He does look like Vettel.

guardian452 wrote:
That's actually the one and only me ;) with my birthday hat and everything.

Pretty big for seven years old ... what do they feed you guys back there ?
Web developer and sysadmin on Linux since 1996.
In 1997 I found myself at 2:00 at night in my ISP's editorial staff office filled with more than a dozen Indys, all sporting a giant 20" monitor, webcams shut, 3D glasses connectors ready... I was hooked.

Worked for Dutch Internet provider, web studios and a computer science institute, all good sources for SGI hardware. Currently in Wellington, New Zealand, which is awesome... except SGIs are rare here.

Thijs

(p.s. I now own one of the Indys I fell in love with that night. It is still my favourite ;-)

4130photo wrote:
Nuke wrote:

I'm a mechanical engineer, working for a medium large automotive supplier in Koblenz/Germany. So i think there are quite some people here from outside the It business. But i admit i started loving sgi back in university in the 90s, and that didn't change much

I see. Yeah, I was surprised, but now that I think of it, they were graphics workstations...so people with industrial design (CAD) and graphics (3D graphics for games, movies, etc.) people could be into this, too. Hah.