Everything Else

WHat do we all do (occupation)? - Page 2

Software Engineer

freelance - embedded software :: (and now also web programming)
work - tools programming (mainly custom parsers for metadata), utilities :: user apps :: (and now thanks to my boss not wanting to hire someone new) web programming
My Website --> https://sites.google.com/site/y3software/

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Image {1x R14000A 550mhz :: 2GB :: V8} * Courtesy of Japes
Image {1x R10000 195mhz :: 640MB :: MXI [parted out]}
Image {2x R10000 250mhz :: 1.4GB :: EMXI}
Image {1x R5000 180mhz :: 448MB}
Image {1x R12000 270mhz :: 832MB}
------------------------------------
HP C3700 :: HP J6000 :: Sun Ultra 24
------------------------------------
Lenovo W520 RAID1 (beast)
duck wrote:
theinonen wrote: It seems I am the only one not working with computers for living.

Nope, I was way up there as the first reply...

Not working with computers for living too...
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here .
Senior translations engineer for a major wireless telecom.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Former research biochemist that became a state government bureaucrat after taking what was to be a temporary low-level tech job. Now dedicated to changing the small part of a taxpayer-funded clusterf*ck under my control into proof that government can exhibit the positive qualities of private enterprise rather than the qualities of a Three Stooges episode.
System Administrator in a department with a dozen or so Windows boxes at a big corporation.
"EV-ERY-ONE!" --Stansfield
After 30 years wasted as Senior System Administrator [for a rather well-known international organization], I finally discovered that there is more to life than IT. And I'm happy now.
371- 528 - 818 - ?
Oskar45 wrote: After 30 years wasted as Senior System Administrator [for a rather well-known international organization], I finally discovered that there is more to life than IT. And I'm happy now.

May I ask what made you unhappy? Did you not like being a Sys Admin?
15 years in unix/linux sysadmin/engineering...actually doing solaris/hp-ux and veritas vm / ha

and to follow up Oskar45...no wonder long time it guys gets burned out...the whole it biz is a big bubble full of dottled crib sheet addicts, highly talented to give theirselves melodic sounding characterizations like IT Enabler/System Architect eg....

but the truth is....thumbs down.
no plan
IndyFred wrote:
Oskar45 wrote: After 30 years wasted as Senior System Administrator [for a rather well-known international organization], I finally discovered that there is more to life than IT. And I'm happy now.

May I ask what made you unhappy? Did you not like being a Sys Admin?

Quite to the contrary. But, looking back over 30 years, I figure I got sucked in too much. I certainly enjoyed my job for all these years, without doubt. In fact, I always used to stress that I'd not want to exchange my position with any other in the organisation - not even with the big boss himself although, of course, he earned a bit more money [for the record, of late my monthly salary was a slim €9000.- after tax]. As Sr. SysAdmin, though, I actually considered myself as the most powerful person around - *everyone* sooner or later depended on me [surely all other sysadmins on here can confirm this], and I was *always* available. And so, I most certainly neglected much of my personal live etc. in favour of my job. But that's history now. I'm free finally ... and happy :-(
371- 528 - 818 - ?
I'm a software developer for an RDBMS development company since two and a half year. A bit surprised, I'm working mostly with Android now which has it's ups and downs. Before that I was a SysAdmin for a small bioinformatics cluster (well, it grew to some hundred nodes at its peak) and wrote Perl to interface with an ancient Fortran program.

The combo of being a sysadmin and developer sucked a bit. And the combo of Perl and Fortran was ... interesting.
:Onyx2R: :IRIS3130: :Crimson: :4D310: :Onyx2: :O2000: :O200: :PI: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy: :1600SW: :pdp8e:
:BA213: <- MicroVAX 3500 :BA213: <- DECsystem 5500 :BA215: <- MicroVAX 3300
Pictures of my collection: www.pdp8.se
I am biologist. I read my thesis in 2007 and now I am working at the EMBL in Germany. I will be here until September (end of my contract) and then I will probably go straight to hell, because I do not know exactly what to do with my life :-| . But, hey, they gave me my O2 for free! :O2:
Image _ Betty Blue _
R12000A 400 Mhz ; 1 Gb RAM ; 72 Gb 15K HDD; IRIX 6.5.29
CrystalEyes; Dial Box; O2Cam "ZEYE"; external Toshiba SD-M1711 DVD-ROM; Octane speakers;
Lock bar; SGI microphone.
Mods: PSU Noctua fan; internal Toshiba SD-M1401 DVD-ROM; Adaptec AIC-7880P SCSI card.

_ REKIEM_I7 _
Seasonic X 1250W PSU / Intel I7 2600k 4 x 5,00 Ghz / 2 x Gainward 2Gb GTX 560Ti Phantom 2 / 32 Gb DDR3 / Intel x25-M 160 Gb SSD and 10 extra Tb
_ REKIEM_T5400 _
875W PSU / 2 x Intel Xeon Harpertown 4 x 3,33 Ghz / 1 x EVGA Geforce 4Gb GTX 980 Supercloked / 32 Gb DDR2 667 ECC / Samsung 840 Series Pro 128GB SSD and 3 extra Tb
_ Raspberry Pi _
:|
I work at a startup (my third in a row now) - technically, I'm an "engineer," but since there aren't many of us I wear all hats: code in Ruby/Java/Scala, debugging C and C++, occasional sysad, product development, input on UI decisions, and so on. It's definitely a blast and I love being able to shape the product I'm writing, plus I work with an awesome team.

I used to do sysad and IT security consulting on a freelance/short-contract basis - that was fun but I'm sure glad I'm doing more now. Sys-ad especially got incredibly old incredibly fast.
I work as a manager at an oil company. Lots of looking at contracts and spreadsheets, or finding solutions to sometimes large and quite open-ended business problems. I am also responsible for all international banking transactions. I wrote much of the code used to interface with the wire transfer platforms we use (SWIFT formats etc), but I don't really have the time for development anymore. In the past I've mainly worked in teaching, and software development combined with some sysadmin.
[[C|-|E]] wrote: ...and then I will probably go straight to hell, because I do not know exactly what to do with my life :-|

oh tempora oh mores! kids these days…

reverse, replace, rephrase: there's no place like freedom
during their thesis no less. i didn't know what i wanted to do in life until after i got out of college and cleared my head. physicists make dirt. i wouldn't mind being an astronomer in my retirement.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
sure, who did?

i wouldn't call it hell though. it's hard to get lost when you don't know where you're going :)
Don't be so afraid C-E... During my thesis I didn't know what I wanted to do in my real life either. I learned physics and finally work as PM in a pharmaceutical company. Nothing related. During your thesis, you learn how to manage a scientific project and to think globally. That's already a good starting point. You'll learn your specific job on the go.
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here .
When I was young I wanted to be Han Solo. That didn't work out.

Instead I'm the lone IT guy for a family owned (not mine) printing company that was founded in 1896. I've been there for twelve years now. I have 15 servers and 60+ workstations running the usual array of Microsoft products, in addition to several iMacs and Mac Pro towers running Adobe and ESKO products. On top of all that I handle the Crystal Report writing, phone system, alarm system, wiring/cabling, 'help desk' stuff, broken home computers that magically appear in my office, etc... All the way down to changing toner. Some days I'm twiddling my thumbs thinking it's too damn quiet, other days I don't realize what time it is until my wife calls asking when I'm coming home.
fu wrote: i wouldn't call it hell though.

how about: its a jungle out there? :D

yup! don't worry c-e, with your skill? at your age? i think you still go a distance ;)
after there, how about try here in Asia ;)

geeez envy your location tough.. love to smell deutschland again someday...
:Octane: (Sakura) :O2: (Sasuke) :1600SW: (Naruto) ... lil Jesse! (O2 laptop)
“Imagination is more important than knowledge.“ – A. Einstein
jungle boogie? i get to fight a few monsters some times, it's a dirty job but someone gotta do it
shooting_shark.png
shooting_shark.png (121.9 KiB) Viewed 821 times

@c-e and the rest of the youngins, enjoy the brake of freedom. us humans tend to take zeriouzly the wrong things all the time.

@87porsche, all of the printing houses i'm aware of run on macs for reasons of colour consistency, is windows ok for such a job? (not joking, genuine puzzlement)