Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

MaXX is back! - Page 1

Hello all!

We would like to let you know that @maxxdesktop is back and we are preparing a release. Exciting stuff ahead

Also our site moved to: maxxdesktop.co

take care

Eric Masson
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 1GB RAM DUAL HEAD
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 512MB RAM
Octane2 R14K 600MHz 2GB RAM V10 Pro
SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700
Not impressed until you get it running on BSD!
Entire collection up for sale :(
It's dr fsking doom again.. Haven't you left for Canada yet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
@TeamBlackFox BSD support was asked a lot :)

@uunix no I am back home since early 2000
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
@uunix no I am back home since early 2000

Wasn't aimed at you maxi..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: loft => :Indigo: :540: :Octane: :Octane: :Indy:
first nedit now this. good week indeed :D
r-a-c.de
welcome back!! that is good news indeed!
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
uunix wrote: It's dr fsking doom again.. Haven't you left for Canada yet?

Ahem, why would I be heading North? Also its funny, because both my posts here and on Nedit thread are meant tongue-in-cheek. You know, like John Cleese's Frenchman speech from The Holy Grail.
TeamBlackFox wrote: Not impressed until you get it running on BSD!

FreeBSD looks pretty well supported by NVidia. Dunno about ATi tho. I guess it's time to kick the tire and try it over the weekend.
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
indeed, freebsd is the most popular so supporting that would make the most sense
r-a-c.de
maxxi.desktop wrote:
TeamBlackFox wrote: Not impressed until you get it running on BSD!

FreeBSD looks pretty well supported by NVidia. Dunno about ATi tho. I guess it's time to kick the tire and try it over the weekend.

AMD and Intel are reasonably well supported on FreeBSD, and thus by extension ATi. Newest model AMD graphics cards don't work quite yet.
Speaking of Nvidia an EVGA Geforce 5700 that I'd been using for, let's see, eleven and a half years ate itself last night. I get a million "Failed to allocate context pattern *** Aborting ***" messages and the screen stays dark. Gotta hand it to the Nvidia engineers for packing a world of information into such a terse error message!

Anyway, back on topic, yaaaaaaay Maxx Deskop! I've been a user since the very first days of 5Dwm... :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote: Speaking of Nvidia an EVGA Geforce 5700 that I'd been using for, let's see, eleven and a half years ate itself last night.

BD,DT; Still have my mousepad... :D

Here's another vote for FreeBSD, always wanted to try Maxx but did not want to go back to Linux. I would put freebsd on my thinkpad just for Maxx ;)
Thinkpad x220 Slack + DWM

Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
So freeBSD it is... Will report on my progress and seek for tester very soon.

:D
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
As long as you provide a properly formatted makefile and instructions for .Xsession initialization, I'll do it.
I'd like to try it but since the last time I used any free linux/bsd was close to 10 years ago, I expect to take a while to get it working :)

That said, I do know how to follow instructions :mrgreen:

guardian452 wrote: That said, I do know how to follow instructions :mrgreen:

That is likely to be a hindrance :(

This is one of my pet peeves. Instructions these days for computing (in general, IBM excluded) SUCK !!!

This is one thing I despise about Solaris in particular. 400 web pages about "how-to-do-X". Three of them are correct. With the ridiculous 'release early - release often' philosophy of stewpidity (and in Sun's case, the fact that the primary requirement for employment was documented ADD), what was true on wednesday has been deprecated by thursday. But no one dates their instruction pages or documents exactly WHICH version they are talking about.

I hope the maxx instructions are better than usual.

You know, if it ran on Solaris that would be a real inducement to use that o.s. Solaris is great but their desktops are all pure unadulterated pigshit.
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...
After fooling around for a bit with FreeBSD, I wasn't able to get *anything* working with my thinkpad. The display brightness, sleep/resume, wi-fi, trackpad. All of it. xfce and chrome installed easily enough, but it's no fun having burned eyeballs perched next to my wifi router with a 3' ethernet cord (seriously, do they even make ethernet cords anymore? I don't think they sell them in the stores...

So I installed Linux Mint, and hell, I think even Hammie would approve of this linux :) It took less than 5 minutes to install, and all of the above features work out of box. In fact, sleep/resume is even faster than windows. I would argue it is as fast as my old macbook running OSX. It's certainly a lot less buggy than the last version of OSX. :twisted: which prompted trading in the macbook for a thinkpad in the first place...

Now I will be getting Maxx running on mint. Sorry Foxxxie, but you're on your own :( Years of using Apple products have reduced my tolerance and patience levels below what is required for getting FreeBSD going on a laptop, at least a thinkpad.

guardian452 wrote: After fooling around for a bit with FreeBSD, I wasn't able to get *anything* working with my thinkpad. The display brightness, sleep/resume, wi-fi, trackpad. All of it. xfce and chrome installed easily enough, but it's no fun having burned eyeballs perched next to my wifi router with a 3' ethernet cord (seriously, do they even make ethernet cords anymore? I don't think they sell them in the stores...

So I installed Linux Mint, and hell, I think even Hammie would approve of this linux :) It took less than 5 minutes to install, and all of the above features work out of box. In fact, sleep/resume is even faster than windows. I would argue it is as fast as my old macbook running OSX. It's certainly a lot less buggy than the last version of OSX. :twisted: which prompted trading in the macbook for a thinkpad in the first place...

Now I will be getting Maxx running on mint. Sorry Foxxxie, but you're on your own :( Years of using Apple products have reduced my tolerance and patience levels below what is required for getting FreeBSD going on a laptop, at least a thinkpad.

I don't care. Use Mint if it suits you. I'm running it on my x230 and it works fine, KB brightness, trackpad, wifi, volume control, suspend/resume, and screen brightness. The only complaints I have is X likes to lock up occasionally for some undiagnosed reason, and the sound volume isn't always working as needed and requires some sysctls.
guardian452 wrote: Years of using Apple products have reduced my tolerance and patience levels below what is required for getting FreeBSD going on a laptop, at least a thinkpad.

I'm beyond caring whether things work out of the box or not. It's when even the bloody instructions don't work that I flip out.

And that's way too often these days, too. Something is flat-out wrong with people now.
I never thought that a fat man's face would ever look so sweet ...