Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

MaXX is back! - Page 8

maxxi.desktop wrote: he's baaaaaack!

Sorry for the lack of updates. My health has been up and down for quite a while, but I think we've figured it out :)

Updates:
1) HP acquired SGI... I've reopened the discussion and waiting for a reply

If you could ask them to dump hardware documentation/specifications for "ISD" or "Godzilla" (Octane system design using HEART), plus the user programming manual for the R14000 and R16000 CPU's, that'd be awesome. HP was using R14K's on their NonStop-series of servers, so I know there's gotta be a manual or errata sheet lying around that details information on the Status and Config registers of those CPUS, just in case any new features or capabilities were added after the R12K. And knowing how HEART works better on Octane would let me solve the damn DMA bug with BRIDGE.
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic
I actually got DR3 working on Debian 8. It took some vododoo but it's stable and works great. I'll post a screenshot as soon as I am back on my geek laptop.
zizban wrote: I actually got DR3 working on Debian 8. It took some vododoo but it's stable and works great. I'll post a screenshot as soon as I am back on my geek laptop.

Getting same results here with Fedora24. Focus is on getting a release of MaXX out ASAP so that we can focus on moving forward.

Will be posting F24 shoots and videos on MaXX Facebook page.
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 1GB RAM DUAL HEAD
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 512MB RAM
Octane2 R14K 600MHz 2GB RAM V10 Pro
SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700

MaXX on Debian 8. Some caveats:

Along with all all other requirements, you need to install libglade2-0.
Add /opt/MaXX/bin to your $PATH.
Add the MaXX OpenMotif to your LD_PATH.

The filemanager (FM aka ROX-Filer) works just fine but the desktop with icons doesn't work. Yes, you see it on my screen shot but I have no idea why it works. I logged in one time and it just started working.

Xmmx (The Motif mixer) won't work on Debian. The GTK2 theme looks fine, there is no GTK3 theme yet.

I also tried this on vanilla Ubuntu 16.10 and while I got it to work, it was unstable and prone to crashing or simply freezing.
Awesome man :) We are getting closer to release something out and move forward! good job
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Here's what MaXX looks like on Fedora24 :) )) Visit the official Facebook page for more goodies and latest news...

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/maxxdesktop/
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
I have a Fujitsu Primergy XEON TX100 S1 , 8GB RAM, 3TB Raided drive and I've decide to install this tonight.

So first, I need a LINUX OS.. Is Fedora the choice? Debian was mentioned?

I will start by downloading Fedora25.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
Fedora 24 works, I don't think it works in 25 right now. Debian and Ubuntu are reported to work (I know it worked with Ubuntu 15.10, haven't tried the updated version on 16.04 yet since I've been in Slackware and Red Hat land for a while).
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Darn it.. bad start to a project then.. not only did I have to go up the shed (in the cold dark, winter, leaf covered garden) and get my blank CDs/DVDs.. I've now downloaded 25 and burning..

Ah well.. I will see how it goes.

[EDIT] Dead before it left the ground.. DVD wont eject even with the assistance of a screwdriver!!! Another day maybe. :(
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
No USB sticks or netboot servers?
Currently doing a net install remotely at work, I think one at a time is enough, I will obtain a new DVD tomorrow.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
Lol. Sounds fair enough. I actually had to hunt for blank DVDs when I was doing an install on my P3 laptop since I've been using USB sticks for so long to do installs (the Dell C400 doesn't support booting to USB. And even if it did I think it only has USB 1.1, so that would be painfully slow).
The thing is as well, I have so many things to do, that I just shouldn't be even doing it, but you know what it's like, you come home, see a machine sat there unplugged and think .. "I'm going to do it tonight" I am the worst person for time management!
I have a three part project for a windows suite to be beta at the end of November, APP, Service & Web Front end.. So far I have achieved a login, and a fancy trend graph on the app.. BUT it's sooo boring compared to net installs and my SGI stuff. On the plus side, my newest FUEL has a very nice install of 6.5.19 that's going very nice and will be a net install server.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
And....the installer script is shot. No work (bad URL).
uunix wrote: So far I have achieved a login, and a fancy trend graph on the app.

You're way ahead of the curve then... 'the rest of the code' is only a cumbersome vehicle for showing your fancy splash screen.

:)
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
:O2: bluebox 200Mhz 256Mb AV1+O2Cam
jimmer wrote:
uunix wrote: So far I have achieved a login, and a fancy trend graph on the app.

You're way ahead of the curve then... 'the rest of the code' is only a cumbersome vehicle for showing your fancy splash screen.

:)

Cripes Jimmer, Nov was so long ago, desktop app, web portal, services etc are all in production now. Still have stuff to polish off though.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
armanox wrote: And....the installer script is shot. No work (bad URL).

I fixed it yesterday. Should be fine.
We also have you should check out our forums as that's where I'll be posting tips, tricks and how-tos.
http://www.maxxinteractive.com/site/?page_id=554
I have posted a how to for the unsupported Debian Testing install.
Confirmed working. Super work!
I'll try on my POWER5 later on...

I'll try to find out later on why the toolchest doesn't run.
I love the icons!