Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

MaXX is back! - Page 7

I installed it on my Devuan build on my MacPro 3,1. Really weird, everytime I try to launch anything in the /opt/MaXX/bin32 directory, it says "file not found". Maybe it has been a long day of BS at work and my brain isn't working....
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:
I played with it, found 5DWM was too unstable, but using MWM with all of the apps gave a pretty pleasant experience. I'd be interested to know what's missing from IRIX compared to a MaXX setup.
foetz wrote: ldd problematic_file

Any executable in the bin32 folder return
"not a dynamic executable"

For example, ldd -v 5Dwm
Image Image
DMJC wrote: I played with it, found 5DWM was too unstable, but using MWM with all of the apps gave a pretty pleasant experience. I'd be interested to know what's missing from IRIX compared to a MaXX setup.

How did you get it to run?
I tried Debian and Fedora, no go. =(
Image Image
opcode wrote: I installed it on my Devuan build on my MacPro 3,1. Really weird, everytime I try to launch anything in the /opt/MaXX/bin32 directory, it says "file not found". Maybe it has been a long day of BS at work and my brain isn't working....

See my reply five messages above... 8-)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
Where do you get it? The project website points to a Sourceforge page with no files available for "Downloads."
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indigo2IMP: :O3x0:
ianj wrote: Where do you get it? The project website points to a Sourceforge page with no files available for "Downloads."

http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16729754&start=120#p7393697
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Ahh Thanks Vishnu :) Wasn't MaXXX working on a new build? Did he give those files out for testing?
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:
opcode wrote: Ahh Thanks Vishnu :) Wasn't MaXXX working on a new build? Did he give those files out for testing?

Indeed he did say he was working on a new build, and then he promptly disappeared. Again... :roll:
Project:
Plan:

Slightly off-topic: What steps would you need to go through (specifically with SGI's intellectual property) to clone the IRIX Interactive Desktop? And if it were cloned, which toolkit would you want to see it using? Would you want an exact copy or a themeable environment (default theme would be an exact copy) that would allow for a more modern look?
segfault wrote: Slightly off-topic: What steps would you need to go through (specifically with SGI's intellectual property) to clone the IRIX Interactive Desktop? And if it were cloned, which toolkit would you want to see it using? Would you want an exact copy or a themeable environment (default theme would be an exact copy) that would allow for a more modern look?

Now it is HP's intellectual property... which won't make things easier I fear.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!
vishnu wrote:
opcode wrote: Ahh Thanks Vishnu :) Wasn't MaXXX working on a new build? Did he give those files out for testing?

Indeed he did say he was working on a new build, and then he promptly disappeared. Again... :roll:

I saw a post out of MaXX Interactive Desktop on Facebook recently - so assuming that he's running that page it isn't 100% dead after all.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
armanox wrote:
vishnu wrote:

I saw a post out of MaXX Interactive Desktop on Facebook recently - so assuming that he's running that page it isn't 100% dead after all.

Huh! :shock: Well you could knock me over with a compression connector... :lol:
Project:
Plan:

he's baaaaaack!

Sorry for the lack of updates. My health has been up and down for quite a while, but I think we've figured it out :)

Updates:
1) HP acquired SGI... I've reopened the discussion and waiting for a reply
2) I retain the rights for MaXX and binaries/installers must come from maxxinteractive.com as of now.
3) Working on new code and looking for c,c++ and Java developers
4) Fedora 25 and Debian8/Ubuntu 16.04 are the supported releases
5) New links (see below)
6) Incremental releases will be the way to go.
7) New release dubbed Onyx is on the work
8) Writing technical documents to facilitate the involvement of contributors

Here are the main links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/maxxdesktop/
main site : http://www.maxxinteractive.com

-Eric
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 1GB RAM DUAL HEAD
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 512MB RAM
Octane2 R14K 600MHz 2GB RAM V10 Pro
SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700
maxxi.desktop wrote: he's baaaaaack!

Sorry for the lack of updates. My health has been up and down for quite a while, but I think we've figured it out :)

Updates:
2) I retain the rights for MaXX and binaries/installers must come from maxxinteractive.com as of now.
4) Fedora 25 and Debian8/Ubuntu 16.04 are the supported releases
5) New links (see below)

Here are the main links:

-Eric

Awesomeness - let us know what exactly you are looking for. I for one am more then happy to help with testing, and I have some experience with C, C++, and Java (most of my experience is in C/C++), but I am sure that plenty of others would be willing to step up to help with development too. Just think - getting some helpers might really kick this thing into gear!

Updates:
4) Fedora 24 and Debian8/Ubuntu 16.04 are the supported releases
5) New links (see below)

Here are the main links:

-Eric

Correction: Fedora 24 is the version. Too many uncertainties for ABI compatibility, the intro of Wayland as default Windowing System and Python 3.6 (for anything Blender)
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
maxxi.desktop wrote:

Updates:
4) Fedora 24 and Debian8/Ubuntu 16.04 are the supported releases
5) New links (see below)

Here are the main links:

-Eric

Correction: Fedora 24 is the version. Too many uncertainties for ABI compatibility, the intro of Wayland as default Windowing System and Python 3.6 (for anything Blender)

I wouldn't worry too much about Fedora 25 until it is closer to release. Fedora will have to include X.org still because Wayland + nvidia proprietary drivers currently does not work, and other desktops (XFCE, LxQT, plus the basic Window Managers like FVWM and Window Maker) do not support Wayland at this time (and I doubt that FVWM or Window Maker ever will). There again, the Fedora team has a history of just breaking things and not really caring, plus they have been trying to shove Wayland down our throats for what, six years now? Too many things at this time do not support Wayland for that to be the only option (plus they would break compatibility with other developers, like the TDE team, Mplayer, CDE, etc).

I think we all will be happy to have it working with Ubuntu 16.04 and Fedora 24 though :)
Eric, I have a couple decades experience with C, C++ and Motif and would be happy to help. Presumably you have the source code to Viewkit as well? Are you using, or did SGI use RapidApp/BXPro for their development? I have BXPro 5-something on my Linux box and on my SGIs, and RapidApp on my SGIs...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: Eric, I have a couple decades experience with C, C++ and Motif and would be happy to help. Presumably you have the source code to Viewkit as well? Are you using, or did SGI use RapidApp/BXPro for their development? I have BXPro 5-something on my Linux box and on my SGIs, and RapidApp on my SGIs...

That would be awesome! ViewKit is sadly one of those great technology that felt into a black hole when SGI went chap-13 and loose interest in its desktop technologies :( I only have binaries from a BXPro version... I am using ViewKlass for MaXX and it does pretty much anything I need it to do. I could tell you more offline ;)

Please send me your contact details via pm

cheers
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
maxxi.desktop wrote: That would be awesome! ViewKit is sadly one of those great technology that felt into a black hole when SGI went chap-13 and loose interest in its desktop technologies :( I only have binaries from a BXPro version... I am using ViewKlass for MaXX and it does pretty much anything I need it to do. I could tell you more offline ;)

Please send me your contact details via pm

cheers

ICS has the Viewkit source code, presumably they could still be lobbied into selling a binary that would work with one of the MaXX Desktop target distributions, here's a link to their rather bare-bones Viewkit page:

http://motif.ics.com/products/viewkit

The binary I got from them 15 years ago no longer works with any recent Linux. I've never used Viewklass but if you're happy with it I'm sure it's fine.

Regardless of any of that, PM sent! :mrgreen:
Project:
Plan: