Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

MaXX is back! - Page 4

armanox wrote: Maybe I am pointing that Red Hat is monopolistic and trying to dominate the market :) . Also, that last once, about Mir and Wayland, worries me a great deal. I still haven't gotten over systemd (actually am avoiding it), and dropped Fedora from my laptop and desktop due to differing views with the Fedora team (Communications have shown (yes, I do contact them) that I am not their target audience).

Well, taking mainstream distros, if only RH will survive, its not a big deal :) Those dependent on ready to use native packages of commercial software and using Ubuntu/Debian will just switch.
Anyway, current MaXX release supports some choice of distros and as you shown before with Slackware example, it may also work on non-supported ones.
Just checking in, seeing if a tester for FreeBSD would still be needed. If you could just send me a tarball and a list of dependencies, I do promise to be discrete and not share anything with anyone. I can see you had issues setting up FreeBSD ( PC-BSD and FreeBSD are the same thing moreorless, but PC-BSD is a spin off by iXSystems. I hate them for their willingness to try to make FreeBSD, OS X-lite. Assholes )
:fuel: 900MHz 4GB
but first, enforce a smile to your signature
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new fun with IP30/Octane2
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ, ... }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB, GBA, PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight } ~ ~ I am still Learning English, be patient with me ~ ~
about me , there are just a few things to know: I am exuberant , and I love the urban dictionary : is it a problem ?!?
How is the project coming along?
Did this project die? I seem to be unable to access the website these days :(
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Hmmmm, weird! 5dwm.org is still up as is the (empty) sourceforge page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxxdesktop/
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
armanox wrote: Did this project die? I seem to be unable to access the website these days :(

maxxdesktop.co is up now. Make sure to do only local backups :)
Thank you. I'm going to add it to a few places right away....
Wait, what? A MaXX backup on a Microsoft website? The Microsoft web team must have some seriously wonky renegades for something that weird to ever have happened... :shock:
Project:
Plan:

Hey guys! I am not dead, just extremely busy. Just want to warn you that someone has stolen my content and registered 5dwm.org. that's not me! and the worst thing is that they don't mention SGI and my copyrights anywhere...

the real deal is at: maxxdesktop.co

I am preparing a new set of binaries for you all.

regards,

Eric Masson
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 1GB RAM DUAL HEAD
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 512MB RAM
Octane2 R14K 600MHz 2GB RAM V10 Pro
SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700
armanox wrote: Thank you. I'm going to add it to a few places right away....

hey! please don't :) my content is under a dual license between SGI and my company. much appreciated
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Eric, did you see the MaXX backup at live.com linked above? I didn't download any of the files so I can't verify if they are in fact genuine MaXX files, I guess the site is a Microsoft owned cloud service or somesuch weirdness...
Project:
Plan:

vishnu wrote: Eric, did you see the MaXX backup at live.com linked above? I didn't download any of the files so I can't verify if they are in fact genuine MaXX files, I guess the site is a Microsoft owned cloud service or somesuch weirdness...

it's weird to the Maxx ;) but the worst is that guy who cloned maxxdesktop.co and made a new 5dwm.org with my old domain name... now i do online gambling and fantasy footbal... wt_ will have to send a terminator to New Mexico :lol:
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
maxxi.desktop wrote:

hey! please don't :) my content is under a dual license between SGI and my company. much appreciated

I was referring to on my own, personal machines. Not internet backups.
armanox wrote:
maxxi.desktop wrote:

I was referring to on my own, personal machines. Not internet backups.

that's all good. have a great one :D
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Does the MaXX-SGI license prevent others from shipping applications with themes that exactly match the SGI widgets on systems where MaXX is not installed? For example, if the GTK themes were a perfect match of the Motif SGI widgets (they aren't but let's suppose they were), would it be prohibited to include such theme within an application package?
maxxi.desktop wrote: Hey guys! I am not dead, just extremely busy. Just want to warn you that someone has stolen my content and registered 5dwm.org. that's not me! and the worst thing is that they don't mention SGI and my copyrights anywhere...

regards,

Eric Masson

Eric, does MaXX works correctly with multiple keymaps for you?
I use

Code: Select all

setxkbmap -layout "us,ru" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:caps"
for layout switching and when I'm switched to russian I can't interact with windows using mouse under MaXX DR3 anymore, hotkeys still do work though.
Moved setxkbmap to different switching hotkeys but it didn't help.
When under CDE I don't have such issue.
Please help :)
Thanks!

P.S.: http://dev.maxxdesktop.com/trac/maxxdesktop is down.
dukzcry wrote:
maxxi.desktop wrote: Hey guys! I am not dead, just extremely busy. Just want to warn you that someone has stolen my content and registered 5dwm.org. that's not me! and the worst thing is that they don't mention SGI and my copyrights anywhere...

regards,

Eric Masson

Eric, does MaXX works correctly with multiple keymaps for you?
I use

Code: Select all

setxkbmap -layout "us,ru" -option "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:caps"
for layout switching and when I'm switched to russian I can't interact with windows using mouse under MaXX DR3 anymore, hotkeys still do work though.
Moved setxkbmap to different switching hotkeys but it didn't help.
When under CDE I don't have such issue.
Please help :)
Thanks!

P.S.: http://dev.maxxdesktop.com/trac/maxxdesktop is down.

it's dev.maxxdesktop.co/trac/maxxdesktop :)

let me check over the weekend. I might have a solution. cheers
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
cesss wrote: Does the MaXX-SGI license prevent others from shipping applications with themes that exactly match the SGI widgets on systems where MaXX is not installed? For example, if the GTK themes were a perfect match of the Motif SGI widgets (they aren't but let's suppose they were), would it be prohibited to include such theme within an application package?

if there are Motif(standard not SGI Motif) based theme, hum i guess it's fine. GTK+ is different because the look & feel mimic SGI's Motif. I would suggest to use MaXX's themes and add the MaXX's license and copyright. this way you are covered.
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
maxxi.desktop wrote: if there are Motif(standard not SGI Motif) based theme, hum i guess it's fine. GTK+ is different because the look & feel mimic SGI's Motif. I would suggest to use MaXX's themes and add the MaXX's license and copyright. this way you are covered.

See what I was able to get -without any modification to the original Motif- here: http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?p=7387166#p7387166
Certainly I'd love to use MaXX for developing apps, but Linux is just a planet for me... I live in several planets right now, cannot be tied to any of them :(