IRIX and Software

Cool (open source) software you would like to see ported... - Page 7

this seems to be a linux toy. irix doesn't have SIOCGIFHWADDR and neither do freebsd or solaris.
funny tho that they do have linux checks but it seems not at the right places :P
Just a FYI, minidlna isn't very useful on anything but linux because they rely solely on inotify to find new files other than an initial, hideously slow, filesystem traversal. I had some mind to hack together a kqueue module for usage on *BSD but I lack in time and energy. I don't even know if IRIX has any kind of equivalent other than plugging into fam.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Is there a better DLNA server you'd recommend, duck? This one seems to serve video files to my PS3 well enough. The FreeBSD port (minidlna-1.1.0,1) includes the config directive "inotify=yes" by default, for whatever that's worth...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
eg. MediaTomb, i tried to compile too without success. http://mediatomb.cc/

I using PyMeds http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/jmpc/pymeds.html on my O2, a DLNA server written in python, works but has a very limited functionality. After some little modification capable to serv HD .mkv movies to my Panasonic TV.
Is it possible to port MediaTomb to Irix?
Looks like it could be persuaded to work with IRIX... never tried myself anyway:

http://www.mtoussaint.de/qtdmm.html

http://www.mtoussaint.de/qtdmm2.html
Hmmm, 'LiVES - Video Editing System ' ^^
I would really love to see:
A newer webbrowser than Firefox 3. Maybe something webkit-based?

Also a newer office suite than OpenOffice 1 would be great. What about Libreoffice?

Another really great thing to port would be the Telegram messenger (Source Code available here: https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop ). Especially this one would be really really great to have on my Octane.

Thanks if something of it is possible!
:Octane2: SGI Octane 2 - Dual R12K 400 MHz - 250 0MB RAM - 73 GB HDD - vPro v12 - IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo² - R10K 175 MHz - 320 MB RAM - 73 GB SCSI HDD - High Impact-AA + TRAM - IRIX 6.5.22f
:O2: SGI O2 - R5K 180 MHz - 96 MB RAM - 18 GB HDD - CRM - IRIX 6.5.30
eudatux23 wrote: Also a newer office suite than OpenOffice 1 would be great. What about Libreoffice?

Open Office was a major major project. The one we have only happened because SGI paid for it. Just building the thing took something like eight hours on a 16p Origin.

I have no idea why it's such a problem but there are threads here about it. Search button is up and to the right. One of the people who did Open Office 1.03 used to post here.
What country do you want to go to ? ... Wyoming
eudatux23 wrote: I would really love to see:
A newer webbrowser than Firefox 3. Maybe something webkit-based?

Also a newer office suite than OpenOffice 1 would be great. What about Libreoffice?

Another really great thing to port would be the Telegram messenger (Source Code available here: https://github.com/telegramdesktop/tdesktop ). Especially this one would be really really great to have on my Octane.

Thanks if something of it is possible!

You'd be very lucky if one version of FF with a JIT got ported, yet alone a whole different program.

If JVM works well on IRIX, maybe you'll get a newer OpenOffice, but probably not.

Telegram...well maybe that can be ported, but Pavel Durov would probably remove it due to lack of updates in the future, and it may not work for very long due to maintenance concerns.

Or maybe the guy who resigned from his company and blamed the government when he couldn't get his job back from an angry board would keep it, if you're lucky.
Hmm the last commit of Telegram Desktop is only 3 days old, so it seems to be pretty alive. Would be really great if you try to port it. As far as I see it uses QT.
:Octane2: SGI Octane 2 - Dual R12K 400 MHz - 250 0MB RAM - 73 GB HDD - vPro v12 - IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo² - R10K 175 MHz - 320 MB RAM - 73 GB SCSI HDD - High Impact-AA + TRAM - IRIX 6.5.22f
:O2: SGI O2 - R5K 180 MHz - 96 MB RAM - 18 GB HDD - CRM - IRIX 6.5.30
Well, the reason I said it wouldn't work out is exactly because it's alive. If they update their protocol like an ordinary messenger, it will gradually break the IRIX version, since we'll be too short-staffed to maintain it.
Transmission, a popular bittorrent client for OS X and other *nix, has a component called "transmission-cli" which is just a simple command line client. Supports magnet links and UDP. It might be a nice replacement for neko_ctorrent, and since the efforts for libtorrent + rtorrent on IRIX seems to be dead end.

Can anyone with dev kung fu try to see if "transmission-cli" can be ported to IRIX?
:O2: daenerys
I won't do Transmission because I won't port GPL software, but I don't mind trying btpd instead - its MIT licensed, written in C and looks to be stable enough that it will work, probably either with gmake/MIPSPro or gmake/gcc
SGI:
:A3502L: Dual Itanium [email protected] 4GB Marisa
:Octane2: Dual R14000A@600MHz 2GB V12 Sakuya
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300

For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies.
canavan wrote: MIDI-support in IRIX is really easy. Just see man mdIntro and check the sample source code that comes with IRIX in /usr/share/src/dmedia/midi.

Still interested in playing with PureData, I took time to rtfm, and compiled the simple scale demo. Its argument is a MIDI port name, which can be "Soft Synth" (default) or "Serial Port 1" (if 1st serial port has been configured as MIDI port in System Manager/Serial Ports). Then I extracted pd-0.34-3 archive on the Indigo2 (mips3), and MIDI out from test audio menu seems functional: the Soft Synth is playing on the internal speaker. I will try with a real MIDI interface. There are a few more recent versions with a makefile.irix.
How to replace gcc with mipspro in makefiles and what are the typical shell env variables required for a successful build ?
:Indigo2IMP: extreme :Octane2: V8 :O200: :Onyx2: IR2e
silicium wrote: Then I extracted pd-0.34-3 archive on the Indigo2 (mips3), and MIDI out from test audio menu seems functional: the Soft Synth is playing on the internal speaker. I will try with a real MIDI interface. There are a few more recent versions with a makefile.irix.
How to replace gcc with mipspro in makefiles and what are the typical shell env variables required for a successful build ?

There's an IRIX binary of 34.3 here, or do you want to compile it yourself just for funzies?
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
I have tried pd-0.34-3, and want to find the most recent version that can be compiled but was released without IRIX binary.
:Indigo2IMP: extreme :Octane2: V8 :O200: :Onyx2: IR2e
Speaking of MIDI, is there any decent lightweight general-purpose sequencer application for *nix that could run on IRIX? I took a look around at stuff in the Debian repositories during my last Linux experiment and it seems like everything there is either a full-scale Sibelius-style sheet-music notation program or a "because all anyone will ever want to do is techno loops!" FruityLoops clone, and all of them weighed in at obscene sizes...you'd think for a standard that's as old as the Commodore 64 and requires less than a 38.4Kbps serial connection, there would be some less ridiculously bloated software available.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn wrote: Speaking of MIDI, is there any decent lightweight general-purpose sequencer application for *nix that could run on IRIX? I took a look around at stuff in the Debian repositories during my last Linux experiment and it seems like everything there is either a full-scale Sibelius-style sheet-music notation program or a "because all anyone will ever want to do is techno loops!" FruityLoops clone, and all of them weighed in at obscene sizes...you'd think for a standard that's as old as the Commodore 64 and requires less than a 38.4Kbps serial connection, there would be some less ridiculously bloated software available.

I like SEQ24 for simple stuff on Linux. To some degree, it emulates the older eight track hardware sequencers. Not sure if it could be compiled for IRIX, but it might be worth a shot. Nice synth collection BTW.
http://www.filter24.org/seq24/
Mame. rTorrent(if not already in there somewhere), wolf3d, snes9x, mupen64(if it wasn't too demanding, but I'm not counting on that).
:O2: O2 - (Mantadoc) - R5K - 200MHZ - 128MB RAM - 6.5.30
:Octane: Octane - (Montrealais) - R12K - 2*360MHZ - 1024MB RAM - EMXI. - 6.5.30
Alphaserver DS10 - (Vandoc) - EV6 - 466MHZ - 256MB RAM
Sun Ultra 5 - (Quedoc) - UltraSparc II - 400MHZ - 512MB RAM
ASUS K55VD - (Mapleglen)- I5 - Dual Core 2.5GHZ - 8 GB RAM
Dell L502X - (Algorail) - I7 - Quad Core 2GHZ - 6 GB RAM