Everything Else

Life beyond SGI... - Page 1

Since the real SGI has been dead and gone for a while now. What do you do in your free time now?

I know to some of you SGI was a serious business, to me it had always been an exciting voyage to keep me occupied in my free time which now has come to an end for said while. During my active period of SGI collecting I've managed to have quite some serious UNIX fun and I've also managed to grab some very special gear. It was quite a fun ride while it lasted.

Still life goes on. Personally I'm going back to playing the guitar more seriously. Attached is my Guitar #11. :-)

On a related note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nc7RmgMrlc Am I the only one thinking of a grown up version of Winnie Cooper of "The Wonder Years" while watching the front woman rock away? :-)
www.sgistuff.net - SGI info since 2001

:IRIS3130: :4D70G: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :4D220VGX: :4D220VGX: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :Crimson: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :Fuel:
Was the Flying V a birthday present? In either case, Happy Birthday Gerhard!
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
This is my new obsession (and the reason I haven't been doing anything with any of my computers as of late):

It's a 1965 Triumph Spitfire.
(tumbleweeds)
pierocks wrote: This is my new obsession (and the reason I haven't been doing anything with any of my computers as of late)....It's a 1965 Triumph Spitfire.
Nice! Used to have a Valencia Blue 1969 Triumph GT6.
I have a wife and kids. One can never spend enough time with them :)

There are still people messing with VAX systems; I expect to keep my SGIs around for a while.

If I ever get bored I might get myself a vintage Porsche 911 to restore or something like that.
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
Nice Spitfire! I have a '70 Porsche 914-6 that likes to gobble up time/money/patience/skin periodically. And while I don't have a wife or kids, there's always something I should be doing to the house...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Other vintage computers
Music.
Photography, plane spotting, train spotting,
Image Image Image
Sci-fi movies: just got the collector's edition of Doctor Who new series (seasons 1-4) :D
:Indy: :O2: :Octane2:
DECpc AXP/150, Sun IPX, Ultra 60 (broken), Mac 630, G4 Digital Audio, Amiga 1200T, IBM 7009-C10, HP Envizex a, A180, B132L, C360, C3600.
recondas wrote:
pierocks wrote: This is my new obsession (and the reason I haven't been doing anything with any of my computers as of late)....It's a 1965 Triumph Spitfire.
Nice! Used to have a Valencia Blue 1969 Triumph GT6.

And I have a 1964 MGB, but it will likely be going away in favor of my 'new' 1948 International Harvester KB-2 pickup truck.
:O2: :Indigo: :Cube: Image
ItsMeOnly wrote: Other vintage computers
[

Nice Album!
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
ScutBoy wrote: And I have a 1964 MGB
Nice - also once owned a 1969 MGC (at the time brit cars seemed like a logical idea - I'd picked up a whole chest of tools in the not-seen-much-on-this-side-of-the atlantic witworth/bsw sizes from a guy who retired from the local TriumpMC shop). The MGC was an odd beast - basically an MGB with an 3-liter Austin six shoehorned in.
ScutBoy wrote: but it will likely be going away in favor of my 'new' 1948 International Harvester KB-2 pickup truck.
What's the plan - Resto or rod?
I too once had an MGB, biggest piece of shit I ever owned.
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<
I went from running 50-60 miles/ month to 50-60 miles/week :) (tho I only play footy on occasion now, 2x week max, you see... after 24 years my poor ankles are getting too old for daily abuse...)

and I'm only *taking a break from SGI's* as I live in an apartment without space to set them up properly.
married, graduated, starting new job. All within 2 months of each other.

I still plan to have a secret lab type room for projects where the SGI's can hide. Meanwhile, I could get a DCD to hook my octane up to the monitor I have now (apple cinema, dvi-only :( ) but I haven't felt like making much time to play with it lately.
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
Aside from a few leftover parts, I've been SGI-less for about 6 months now.

After a 10 year hiatus I've started biking again. Pretty much every other day after work and on weekends. Also going back to the gym, usually late at night.

I've also been increasing my vinyl collection 180 grams at a time. :D Get it? I kill me. Same goes for various audio/video components.

And PC gaming. Got burned out on that several years ago, but have started to get back into it again as of late.
guardian452 wrote: ...married, graduated, starting new job. All within 2 months of each other.

triple congrats syb, save a slice of cake for us and boogie on down :)

(i'll manage to follow up with a decent pm when all this mess is over)

87Porsche wrote: I've also been increasing my vinyl collection 180 grams at a time.

:D
Built a basement mixing studio, and currently building a backyard observatory.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
recondas wrote:
Used to have a Valencia Blue 1969 Triumph GT6.

Great girl's car, wreck :D
recondas wrote:
ScutBoy wrote:
but it will likely be going away in favor of my 'new' 1948 International Harvester KB-2 pickup truck.
What's the plan - Resto or rod?

Resto. I learned to drive in a different but identical truck back in the day on my uncle's farm in the wilds of South Dakota. Ready for some straight-six, granny-low, double-clutching fun :)

Mexico
Mariage and children, you'll barely have time to touch an SGI ever again..

R.

アレゲはアレゲ以上のなにものでもなさげ -- アレゲ研究家

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1. Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo:

Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.
PymbleSoftware wrote:
Mariage and children, you'll barely have time to touch an SGI ever again..

Totally agree. I'm in the exact same situation... plus many new responsiblities and travels in my job. However, there are so many good moments when you look at your children growing !

:Octane2: R12k 360 V6, 2Go, HD (173Go, 34Go)
:Octane: R10k 400 MXE, 1280Mo / 2xR10k 300 SSE,...
:O2: R10k 195, 512Mo / R5k 180, 512Mo / R5k 180->200 motherboard and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: R10k 195, HighImpact, 160Mo/ R?k 125, Extreme, 160Mo
:O200: :O200: twin O200, 4xR12k 270, 2Go, HD (4x18Go)
:4D70G: 4D70GT... my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )