Everything Else

Life beyond SGI... - Page 2

Other classic computers (mostly Power based, like Power Macs, etc., and 6502-based machines like the Commodore 8-bits).
Roadgeeking.

Other vintage computers
wow!! you have all the best commercial UNIX around and OpenVMS! really like a heaven.. btw, was wondering if you could help me try my app on all your nix with motif wm? really love to see and hear if it works on AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, Tru64, and OpenVMS :)

for this topic:
* Basketball playing to keep fit
* Guitarist for our English mass choir every Sunday

Built a basement mixing studio, and currently building a backyard observatory.

please save some space for the teleportation capsule sky, will help with everything :)

hamei wrote:
recondas wrote:
Used to have a Valencia Blue 1969 Triumph GT6.

Great girl's car, wreck :D

guess what the girl drove when she came to meet me today. for a few seconds i thought we were on the set of the graduate and dustin was round the corner

Attachment:
alfa_romeo-duetto-spider_ad_68.jpg
alfa_romeo-duetto-spider_ad_68.jpg [ 84.77 KiB | Viewed 425 times ]
recondas wrote:
Was the Flying V a birthday present? In either case, Happy Birthday Gerhard!

Nope, I've bought it myself some days ago. Actually I was looking for a reasonable priced Les Paul, but that one just got me. Plays nice and sounds quite fat and heavy.
Thanks though. :)

There is much I can relate to in this thread. Personally I'd go for cars as an "exit hobby" myself but luckily space and skill prevents that.

:IRIS3130: :4D70G: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :PI: :4D220VGX: :4D220VGX: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :Crimson: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Onyx2: :Fuel:
Gerhard.Lenerz wrote:
Personally I'd go for cars as an "exit hobby" myself but luckily space and skill prevents that.

Motorcycles are smaller ... and the really old ones are cute.
Attachment:
1917.jpg
1917.jpg [ 115.18 KiB | Viewed 333 times ]
Super nice Triumph. I'm currently restoring a 1965/6 Sunbeam Alpine, albeit very slowly (I've had it since the early 90s). Needs fresh paint and a total engine rebuild after 188,000 miles - hasn't run in 4-5 years. Same model as pictured below but with both soft and removable hard tops. Good handling car and lots of fun to drive until the engine died. :(

:O2: Ox - R5k 300 MHz, 224 MByte ram
:Indy: ryoko - R5k 180 MHz, 128 MByte ram
[ -] stingray - Macintosh IIci
Actually, there was life before SGI. I still have running an IBM PS-half [ahem, an IBM /2]. Of course, it'd need a little bit of oiling to catch up with the top SGI boxes, but it is still reliable :-)

Other vintage computers
wow!! you have all the best commercial UNIX around and OpenVMS! really like a heaven.. btw, was wondering if you could help me try my app on all your nix with motif wm? really love to see and hear if it works on AIX, HP-UX, Solaris, Tru64, and OpenVMS :)

What's the app?

What's the app?

morning IMO! its this app from this thread: http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16726853

if you have git: https://github.com/gorais/gXipmsg.git

but i just attache the full code here too:
Attachment:
gXipmsg-master.tar.gz [18.11 KiB]
Downloaded 7 times

really thanks in advance IMO! the installation guide is on the README. Please feel free to modify anything if needed for the build for specific machine and if so could you please let me know which changes for which platform? really thanks and hope its not too much to ask, could you provide me a screenshot for each platform? really love to see it running on all possible Nix and VMS :)

hmm i think this app will be useful for your setup if you want a faster and lighter way to transfer files between each other and with your latest PC. For the PC side please use the link from README file.

Thanks again IMO! btw can you post you reply on the thread above? hehe don't want to cause OT on this thread, thanks :)

DECUS Member 368596
skywriter wrote:
After the first three times, how can much more can you really watch stargate?

If not for Doctor Who (fifth season on Monday) I'd watch it for 21st time :D (with or without commentaries)

skywriter wrote:
After the first three times, how can much more can you really watch stargate?

If not for Doctor Who (fifth season on Monday) I'd watch it for 21st time :D (with or without commentaries)

I think I watched it 3-4 times. A very good series that didn't make it into sequels for me. The original characters made the show IMHO.

DECUS Member 368596
Seeing all those DVDs reminds me that I was stopped a few discs into my boxed set of Danger Man / Secret Agent, starring Patrick McGoohan. I should restart that...

I'm sure your Sunbeam Alpine will be just as nice when you get it running again, tux. This summer I found a Porsche mechanic who makes house calls, and he got my 914/6 running again. If I ever figure out what I want to do about the knackered gearbox, I might actually start to make progress next year...

I'm sure your Sunbeam Alpine will be just as nice when you get it running again, tux. This summer I found a Porsche mechanic who makes house calls, and he got my 914/6 running again. If I ever figure out what I want to do about the knackered gearbox, I might actually start to make progress next year...

Ah yes, the clouds of oily smoke that draw the neighbors to ask "What's going on?!" and you proudly reply "Progress!"

My neighbors stopped asking two cars and one motorcycle ago :-)

Thanks for the kind word of encouragement, smj. Got to love that 914/6 - a real wicked road-magnet. In my slalom and autocross days in my alpine, I once got once my @ss handed to me by an 914/6. That car was wickedly fast around the pylons - no one even got close to his times. Take care of yours, it's a gem. ;)

:O2: Ox - R5k 300 MHz, 224 MByte ram
:Indy: ryoko - R5k 180 MHz, 128 MByte ram
[ -] stingray - Macintosh IIci
The engine of a 914 fits a Volkswagen beetle as well (with minor adjustments). The 5-speed gearbox is a decent improvement over the Beetles 4-speed transmission as well. Better upgrade the suspension too, though. But then you essentially have a Porsche disguised as a Beetle. A great way to make teenagers in hot hatches look like shit at the traffic lights. And it's loud too :D

Me, I'd go for a 1980's 911 Turbo. The one that's continuously plotting new exciting ways to kill you if you loose concentration for a split second, and the *only* car that can get away with such a rediculous spoiler on the back and still look good :lol:

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
But then you essentially have a Porsche disguised as a Beetle.
I'm afraid the opposite was an attitude many people held towards the 914, since the 4 cylinder model used a massaged VW Type IV motor and these models were built completely by Karmann/VW. The 6 cylinder models were shipped as a "rolling chassis" to Porsche in Stuttgart where they received a 2.0L 911T motor, better brakes, and were in general better finished with more options. In Europe I believe all the cars were badged as "VW-Porsche," which caused additional consternation in the States where they were sold under just the Porsche name.

The gearbox for all models is taken from the early 911 and flipped around to suit the mid-engined design. The front suspension is also borrowed from the 911, while the rear uses independent trailing arms and springs instead of torsion bars. Overall they're sweet cars to drive, very capable and fun, and most 4 cylinder models use an early and successful electronic fuel-injection system for good fuel economy to boot. Over the decades people have performed almost every engine swap imaginable, from big V8s to diesels to electric.

jan-jaap wrote:
Me, I'd go for a 1980's 911 Turbo. The one that's continuously plotting new exciting ways to kill you if you loose concentration for a split second, and the *only* car that can get away with such a rediculous spoiler on the back and still look good :lol:
Heh - well, the early 930s definitely left the rest of the car too close to stock while dropping in a motor borrowed from a space program.

Alright, enough. There's more on Wikipedia and if you're really curious, a great community on 914World . We now turn back from classic cars to classic computers... ;)

Nah, seriously: We work so much (six days a week) that there's precious little time left on Fridays (our days off) to get anything done, so life beyond SGI is mostly family life, some further education and watching quality movies. Been thinking of actually making movies now after having watched thousands myself.