SGI: Discussion

SGI hardware in movies - Page 2

TWC used O2s for their regional weather displays up until the mid-to-late 2000s. I think they're all gone now though.

yes, the weather star XL was apparently two skinless O2s mounted on a rack shelf. from what I understand, a lot of the "B" rate cable systems (also called "overbuilds" in the CATV world) still use these systems to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomy_2

Swedish crime movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343097/

There are various Macs running OS X all over the movie, but this is real surprise. I suppose it's real IRIX, Indigo Magic desktop icons were visible for a moment.
This thread makes me wish I had kept track of all my spottings over the years, most of the time it was not the hardware but the desktop. I remember watching movies or TV with non-geek friends that knew about SGI only because of me, and I would mention the SGI spot in a scene and they'd make fun of me for being such a geek :) .

Up until maybe a couple years ago, I would often spot SGI in documentaries. Not too long ago I remember seeing a docu on TV about military stuff, I think they were flying unmanned drones, and it was definitely IRIX.
javier911 wrote:
I remember watching movies or TV with non-geek friends that knew about SGI only because of me, and I would mention the SGI spot in a scene and they'd make fun of me for being such a geek :) .

Oh, the history of my life. Just add some photo mania and you're done!
...hey, look! ...there is an Edixa Prismat LTL! :-)

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
It isn't technically a piece of hardware, but while watching Scream 3 the other night I couldn't help but notice the O2 boxes in the background.

Attachment:
scream3_o2.jpg
scream3_o2.jpg [ 30.75 KiB | Viewed 507 times ]

Uhm no. That's two racks right in the middle of that picture.
You guys are too nerdy to even see these things... sheesh!

Well, after adding some very crude virtual resolution, and altering a bit brightness and contrast...

Attachment:
scream3_o2.jpg
scream3_o2.jpg [ 2.54 MiB | Viewed 474 times ]

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
Another 4Dwm sight, X-Files :) , episode with title "Aubrey" (1995) watching last night. Agent Scully and Mulder are using some kind of medical application, scanner or i dunno custom toy, there is no sight of any SGI machine nearby, seems hidden or bellow the desk they're seating.
-----------------
Image Image Image
Great catch! Looks like they hacked xv to put "FBI IMAGE ANALYSIS" in the title bar, and that monitor looks like it's running at 600x480 which was low even by 1995 standards...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
cybercow wrote: Another 4Dwm sight, X-Files :) , episode with title "Aubrey" (1995) watching last night. Agent Scully and Mulder are using some kind of medical application, scanner or i dunno custom toy, there is no sight of any SGI machine nearby, seems hidden or below the desk they're seating.

Interesting the way she has the lamp shining directly on the screen in a dark room. That's going to work real good :lol:
hamei wrote: Interesting the way she has the lamp shining directly on the screen in a dark room. That's going to work real good :lol:

This is like how space and biosuit helmets in modern sci-fi shows have lights inside that shine at the face of the wearer, rather than out in front of them. Obviously this is done so we can see who is inside them, but it's ridiculously impractical.
:Onyx2: 4x400MHz R12K Onyx2 IR2, 5GB RAM
:1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: R10K Indigo2 MaxIMPACT, 4 TRAMS, 768MB RAM, 2x9GB HD, CD-ROM, Phobos G160
Black Cardinal
Maybe the lamp is shining on the wall on the other side of the monitor... you can't tell because it is a 2d picture ;)
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
Not really a movie but a newly released remake of the video game Half-Life has a model of a multirack Origin 2000. :mrgreen:

It explodes into a pile of PC parts if you break it with a crobar. :roll:
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
@I just saw that in the game - but you were faster :-)
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
Hmm... The replacement names aren't terribly flattering: Glacier, Sand (as in hour glass I presume...)
:Cube: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indy:
Look around a bit more and you might find a cube logo coffee mug. :)
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
pentium wrote: Not really a movie but a newly released remake of the video game Half-Life has a model of a multirack Origin 2000.

Is this a commercial release? I have not played in a while and don't see anything about it on planet half life. Where do I get it?
-ks

:Onyx: :Onyx: :Crimson: :O2000: :Onyx2: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane2: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :320: :540: :O3x0: :1600SW: :1600SW: :hpserv:

See them all >here<