SGI: Discussion

SGI hardware in movies - Page 1

Some cool screenshots I took while watching Congo today. Didn't notice these a few years back :wink:

Notice the IndyCam 8)
Attachment:
CONGO-sgi1.jpg
CONGO-sgi1.jpg [ 34.7 KiB | Viewed 1741 times ]

-

Hybrid/Laptop/Fake ?

Attachment:
CONGO-sgi2.jpg
CONGO-sgi2.jpg [ 32.19 KiB | Viewed 1714 times ]

-

Doom running on Irix in '95 !

Attachment:
CONGO-sgidoom.jpg
CONGO-sgidoom.jpg [ 31.34 KiB | Viewed 1702 times ]
Quote:
Didn't notice these a few years back
--me, too. nice screenshots, indeed. that sgi-notebook looks different than that one in "twister".
Seems like a fake laptop. The screen is clearly a Presenter 1280. I bet there's an Indy inside that yellow crate.

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi
There's a description of the "laptops" used in Twister here:

http://www.bftr.com/Pages/projects/twister.html

Probably much the same for Congo.

Quote:
In the story, the two rival chase teams --one corporate sponsored, one low-tech university funded-- both have sets of computer equipment that was to match their incomes. SGI product placement dictated that ALL of the computers in the film had to be SGIs, so we had the task of making not only two distinctly different sets of graphics for nearly every scene, but different-looking EQUIPMENT between the two teams. This was nowhere more evident than with the SGI "laptops," which of course didn't exist. With the tireless dedication and help of Dan Evanicky at SGI, we were able to design and build two different fake laptop shells around the SGI Corona LCD flatscreen displays, with seven functional and seven dummy cases for each design, we had a handful to take care of; each "laptop" had a powerful custom backlight run off a separate 12-volt DC power supply and multiple cables which ran back off the set (often through mud and puddles) to the Indy CPUs which fed them. Each shell was custom-milled for us by IDE, a prototype manufacturer in the Silicon Valley.

All Rights Reserved.
I have a few more pics I might post when I get home.

Its great to see how SGIs were viewed in the 90s: the ultimate workstations. How the times change...
oh i see, the display is presenter-based - so it should be the same "fake-laptop" as in the twister movie. but looks nice and convincing, as in twister one could only see the upper part of the laptop.
Err... Did SGI make laptops? I've never heard of this.

"Chief, look! I learned to make fire! Who knows what we could do with this... We should learn to control it!"

"Ridiculous. How can you justify wasting time and effort on this so-called 'fire' when our children are freezing to death at night?"
zr0hero wrote:
I have a few more pics I might post when I get home.

Its great to see how SGIs were viewed in the 90s: the ultimate workstations. How the times change...

Right, nowadays hollywood has gone intel...MI:3 is full of "winux" lapcraps.

:O2: 400MHz R12k - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi
Quote:
but looks nice and convincing

Sure does. She uses it multiple times during the movie..I'll have to get a few more shots of it up.
Can't forget the big irons behind the glass.

Image [/img]
I definetively need this movie on dvd - didn't remember that it was such massively sgi-equipped.
Don't forget 'The Peacemaker'. Lots of workstations in that one too.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119874/
A few more..

Another Laptop shot (plus some GPS device)
Attachment:
CONGO-sgi4.jpg
CONGO-sgi4.jpg [ 25 KiB | Viewed 1640 times ]

Laptop again
Attachment:
CONGO-sgi6.jpg
CONGO-sgi6.jpg [ 57.42 KiB | Viewed 1644 times ]

LCD shot
Attachment:
CONGO-sgi7.jpg
CONGO-sgi7.jpg [ 41.49 KiB | Viewed 1663 times ]

And a cool shot of that Laser Perimeter Fence 8)
Attachment:
CONGO-laser.jpg
CONGO-laser.jpg [ 39.85 KiB | Viewed 1679 times ]
Man it's hard to find this movie at my local video stores on DVD.

All I can find is the tape version, too bad my vcr crapped itself last year. :(

OMG! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'M GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!! AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! HELP ME!!!!!!

Thought for a minute one of maxsleg's girls from Roppongi Hills got to you.....
:D

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
pentium wrote:
OMG! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I'M GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!! AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! HELP ME!!!!!!

Thought for a minute one of maxsleg's girls from Roppongi Hills got to you.....
:D
rofflecopter :mrgreen: omg, I just got stuff up my nose.

Doom running on Irix in '95 !

Attachment:
CONGO-sgidoom.jpg

so that answers the question, "YES! it runs (ran) doom!"

found at http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/TheWe ... -2005.html
notice that last pic has an SGI CRT monitor with a windows XP screensaver on it....

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 4GB RAM
Raspberry Pi
Dell XPS M1530