Nekochan Net

Downtime - Page 2

I was definitely going through withdrawals :mrgreen:

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
nekonoko wrote:
(currently runs me about $3000/yr out of pocket).

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. I really, really, really appreciate your dedication!

Just to throw it out there, I have some unused IPs, ample server space, and plenty of bandwidth available - If there's absolutely anything I can do to help you work that number down, I'd be happy to help. Even if it means a Paypal donation button - I'd click it a few times. :)
nekonoko wrote:
That said, I may look into using Twitter for notifications again. But you have to realize this is my hobby, not a professionally paid for site with advertising and income and all the other neato stuff (currently runs me about $3000/yr out of pocket). Going on right off the bat about how I could do things better isn't very endearing.

My 'withdrawal symptoms' are my problem ;) Personally, I'm grateful for your effort, and very happy with the site the way it is.

I guess the bulk of the costs are for connectivity with a guaranteed bandwidth?

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
I guess the bulk of the costs are for connectivity with a guaranteed bandwidth?

Yeah, the connection I run has a static IP allocation, the ability to run servers (obviously) and guaranteed upstream/downstream. It's basically a business-class SDSL line, but it runs me $250 a month. For many years I used it as my sole connection to the Internet and Nekochan kind of just rode along as a freebie, but nowadays Nekochan is the only thing using that line (I've moved on to faster downstream cable service for general surfing).

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
That said, I may look into using Twitter for notifications again.

I'm using Twitter a little bit here, and it seems handy for some things... but no matter what, and no matter how many times I've posted there, I feel weird each time I tweet something! :)

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
I've registered for a twitter account, and played with it some the day I got it; I needed it for an experiment with curl. Since then, I haven't used it for anything. It doesn't seem to have the same appeal to me that facebook does. Maybe if I find all you guys it will give me something to use it for.

@mjwinterink

"InfiniteReality Graphics - Power Through Complexity"
guardian452 wrote:
Maybe if I find all you guys it will give me something to use it for.

@mjwinterink

Okay, it is done! :)

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
Oskar45 wrote:
Mrs. Brown lives anywhere you want her!

Oooh ! Oooh ! Uncle Martin and I had to move :(
nekonoko wrote:
It's basically a business-class SDSL line, but it runs me $250 a month

Ouch ! And I thought our so-called "service" was overpriced ! We get especially good web filtering, tho :P

Does your isp snivel about running a low-traffic website on a normal dsl line ? I'd think you could run nekochan on a less expensive service without causing any harm (except to your ISP's pocketbook :D )
hamei wrote:
Does your isp snivel about running a low-traffic website on a normal dsl line ? I'd think you could run nekochan on a less expensive service without causing any harm (except to your ISP's pocketbook :D )

Yeah, most providers block key ports unless you have a business class connection, plus the cheap packages tend to use dynamic IPs. I may look into Comcast's business package sometime though, it sounds pretty good.

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
Yeah, most providers block key ports unless you have a business class connection, plus the cheap packages tend to use dynamic IPs. I may look into Comcast's business package sometime though, it sounds pretty good.

And to think I have fiber-to-the-home, with TV, telephone and unrestricted[*] 50Mbit (up and down, soon 100Mbit!) network for 60 or 65EUR/month. A fixed IP was a one time administrative fee of 25EUR ...

[*] Fair use policy, but no port blocks etc. Running your own outgoing SMTP server is still unwise because lots of site blacklist SMTP servers on a residential IP address.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
jan-jaap wrote:
And to think I have fiber-to-the-home, with TV, telephone and unrestricted[*] 50Mbit (up and down, soon 100Mbit!) network for 60 or 65EUR/month. A fixed IP was a one time administrative fee of 25EUR ....

FTTH is pretty common here, too. Residential is $22.50 a month but then, we have certain restrictions :) Business gets shafted to make up for it, our crappy 512 mbit connection that has been slower than molasses ever since the worst company in the country, China Crapicom, took it over, runs about a hundred $$ a month.

Mr Neko, I notice you do your own DNS. How does that work ? Can you just set up a dns server and the other dns servers will pick you up, or did you have to get integrated into the Greater Internet in some way ? I need to better understand dns, since that's the biggest tool they use to mess us up. I can say with some authority that putting a known-good dns server address in your setup doesn't help, they still manage to poison it. Thanks, Cisco.
hamei wrote:
jan-jaap wrote:
Mr Neko, I notice you do your own DNS. How does that work ? Can you just set up a dns server and the other dns servers will pick you up, or did you have to get integrated into the Greater Internet in some way ? I need to better understand dns, since that's the biggest tool they use to mess us up. I can say with some authority that putting a known-good dns server address in your setup doesn't help, they still manage to poison it. Thanks, Cisco.

During the downtime I was doing some snooping on my own to pinpoint the problem, and it looks like both nameservers are run locally by nekonoko on the webserver. So unless they continually update their list of known DNS servers, I wouldn't think they would catch on and poison it for such a small site.

If he were to switch over to one of the free DNS providers like dns.he.net (which is an amazing service, by the way) then I could imagine that various ISPs/state governments would tinker with the records that you're seeing.
You can set up your own forward DNS pretty easily, but the reverse DNS can be an issue if your ISP doesn't support a fall through to your DNS server (for example, 64.81.247.28 would reverse map to something like dsl081-247-028.sfo1.dsl.speakeasy.net instead of sachiko.nekochan.net).

And as jan-jaap mentioned, most MTAs would block SMTP originating from a residential class line. Business class subnets aren't normally blacklisted as they're expected to provide SMTP traffic.

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
kubatyszko wrote:
some other means of communication so that jan-jaap doesn't get into withdrawal ?

Hey, you're welcome - glad I spent all that time on the phone getting things running for you again.

That said, I may look into using Twitter for notifications again. But you have to realize this is my hobby, not a professionally paid for site with advertising and income and all the other neato stuff (currently runs me about $3000/yr out of pocket). Going on right off the bat about how I could do things better isn't very endearing.

We could go super-retro and have an IRIX UUCP link. All we'd need to do is find a way to encapsulate it over Skype computer:computer to eliminate phone long-distance charges (with a failover to local telephone calls).

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
SAQ wrote:
We could go super-retro and have an IRIX UUCP link. All we'd need to do is find a way to encapsulate it over Skype computer:computer to eliminate phone long-distance charges (with a failover to local telephone calls)

I assume you're going for comedic effect here. There is a defined mechanism for running uucp over TCP, it's probably in your /etc/services file. So in theory we could do it today, though I've never looked at the uucp implementation on IRIX. (I was ...!think!liable!smj for a year or so, using a Sun-3/140 and Telebit Trailblazer.)

It's a neat idea, but the configuration is enough of a bear that most folks need a really good reason to go through that level of pain.

Neko - thanks for everything you do. It is easy to take a site for granted... but then it goes down and you are thinking to yourself 'crap, I should have archived so many of those useful posts' because the first place our mind goes is not to network failure but to hardware failure, lightning strike, tornado, meteor... "When Nekochan went down, I thought I felt the earth rumbling from the explosion... but it was just my stomach getting ill..."

This is the coolest alternative computing enthusiast site out there. Or maybe all others are the alternative and this is the sole remaining mainstream computing site? ;^)

I hope penguin didn't wet his oats this time!

And now, this time without autocorrection:

I hope Pentium didn't wet his pants this time!

DECUS Member 368596
Thank you Neko for running this amazing site/forum!
:Indigo: || Apple PowerMacintosh G4 MDD || Sun Ultra 20 || Sun Ultra 10 || Sun Ultra 5 || Sun SparcStation IPX || INMOS B004 Transputer board
Damn, each time someone says "thank you" the server just crashes again! Stop it! :lol:
foetz wrote: yay it's back. was worried already :P

Me too. For a day or so it's just a case of "Aww shucks, I'm sure it'll be fixed soon". Once you're up to 3-4+ days though it's easy to become concerned. After all, if the forum, wiki and repositories were to disappear for good, it would be a crippling blow for our classic SGIs!

Nekonoko: Thank you for fixing and continuing to provide this great service :)
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2