Nekochan Net

Nekochan.net operating costs? - Page 1

If you don't mind providing the info, Neko, what's it cost to run this site for a year?

Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI
If I were to put a number on it, probably around $2000 per year. The SDSL package I use allows self hosted servers and is pretty expensive at $280 per month, but I do use it for other things too. Power costs are fairly significant for the O350s as well.

If you're just looking to start a web site and aren't as hardcore about running your own hardware at home, I'm sure you can do it for much less at a hosting facility.

All Rights Reserved.
thanks for dealing.
nekonoko wrote:
If I were to put a number on it, probably around $2000 per year. The SDSL package I use allows self hosted servers and is pretty expensive at $280 per month, but I do use it for other things too. Power costs are fairly significant for the O350s as well.

If you're just looking to start a web site and aren't as hardcore about running your own hardware at home, I'm sure you can do it for much less at a hosting facility.

Holy smokes, a decent ISP seems expensive in the states. I guess it goes up a bit when you want a fixed IP and run a lot of traffic, but still.

Yeah, I tried to lower my costs a little this past summer by going with a cheaper ADSL package that still supported servers (business class), but the wiring in my apartment wasn't up to the task. Had to cancel it and go back to the ancient SDSL package I've been using since 2001.

All Rights Reserved.
Pontus wrote:
Holy smokes, a decent ISP seems expensive in the states. I guess it goes up a bit when you want a fixed IP and run a lot of traffic, but still.

Most people are pretty satisfied with a 15MBps dl connection for ~$500/yr. Neko isn't most people. I'd say the cost goes up more than a bit!
My kitten avatar = me when I saw the operational costs for this place.

Labor of love if ever there was one.

Oh, and I forgot to say thank you! It's is a great site you run.

Hi Neko!!!
First of all, thank you!!!! :mrgreen:

How much bandwidth demand this site?

http://unixverse.blogspot.com
Pontus wrote:
nekonoko wrote:

Yeah if you want unblocked ports ISPs charge ridiculous money here, it's such a scam really. The ISPs do this under the guise of "helping customers" by "blocking possible spam senders" and "blocking trojans" but really it's just to make more money.

I definitely admire running Nekochan on SGI hardware, though, and my gratitude goes to Neko for footing the bill for it!

Either the ISP's are idiots and believe this (don't laugh, if you've ever talked to their tech support it's actually possible) or they think we are stewpid enough to believe that spam magically arrives via ports 20/21 and 80. Meanwhile, a pacbell mail account I never used, not even once, managed to get spammed. Frequently. I wonder how that could happen ?
hamei wrote:
D-EJ915 wrote:
I wonder how that could happen ?

SPAM:ers do brute force tryouts on random addresses. Many ISP:s still have the courtesy setting of sending a return mail "there is no one here with that mailaddress" when you send to an unused mailaddress so it's easy enough for the spamers to know when they got a hit (no return).

Many ISP:s still have the courtesy setting of sending a return mail "there is no one here with that mailaddress" when you send to an unused mailaddress so it's easy enough for the spamers to know when they got a hit (no return).

So how do they discover the user name ?
Just to satisfy curiousity; Comcast does -not- block 80, 20, or 21. Only port they block is 25, and I can understand stifling SMTP traffic.
:O3000: :1600SW: :Indigo2IMP: :0300:

"Remember, if they can't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
Neko, you need a tip like major.

And thanks for putting up with me.
-- I'm a PeeCee and I can kick your ass . --
Slow PeeCee - i7 940 OC 4.1GHz, 20GB DDR3 OC 1.8GHz, 2x1TB WD RAID0, ATI 5870 1GB, 3008WFP
Dev PeeCee - IBM Intellistation A Pro - Dual Opteron 290 2.8GHz, 8GB ECC DDR, 500GB SATA, 8400GS, 2x1800FP
Slow PeeCee Cluster - 30x Opteron 275, 60.5GB RAM, 2.2TB, 2x1.5TB

There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand Ternary. Those who don't. Those who could give a shit less.
I really like this site.
I've been following Neko's SGI activities for years (before he put the forums up, possibly 2001 or 2002). I recall his original site when all he had was the Iris Indigo. I had just gotten my first Indigo2 at the time and was amazed with the amount of information Neko had accumulated on SGI's.
Over the years I have had quite the education from Neko and the other forum members.
This truly is the premier site for all things SGI!
Thanks Neko!
Alex
Thanks for the support. My enthusiasm for the site is at an all-time low right now, but I'll keep plugging away at it. Hopefully it will become fun again in the future.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Thanks for the support. My enthusiasm for the site is at an all-time low right now, but I'll keep plugging away at it. Hopefully it will become fun again in the future.

I would suggest putting Martin's planetarium up on the ol' Tez and just watch it for w ahile. Zoom in on individual planets, twist them around, I dunno. I could play with that program for hours ... Maybe I can twist Martin's arm to put together an Earth-specific version. Different visuals, change rotation speed, map the sun and clouds onto the surface. That's such a nifty program, totally Irixian in character.

Or you could play graveyard shift, which is always a kick :P