Nekochan Net

Nekochan.net operating costs? - Page 3

All Rights Reserved.
C'mon, just treat the Atom as a brother of the late and great and dead R8000. Both are in-order instruction pipeline designs :)

I myself use an EeePC 901 with Atom N270 and it's been a sturdy friend with Ubuntu and helped reviving Indy's and Origins at work.

i've found the atom is an awesome chip. the performance killed all my other pc's i had been using. of course i never stayed up to date with pc's because they change so fast. but, cheap, fast, portable - what a refreshing intel experience for me. with the atom i could save the real cash for an imac :)

you could also run osx on the atom and save much more :D

I carry around a Sony netbook with an N280, and it's actually enough for me to open and preview the photos from my Nikon D80 with Capture NX2. They are RAW files so they are usually big files.

foetz wrote:
skywriter wrote:
with the atom i could save the real cash for an imac :)

you could also run osx on the atom and save much more :D

i do run osx on it! that's how i got hooked on the imac, and other apple products :)

I just wanted to say thanks for running a fantastic and informative site. I really enjoy reading everyones posts and particularly enjoy looking though the Gallery of computing environments. I do have an idea for the little Atom board of yours though to keep it in the spirit of an SGI machine. You could try case modding an old SGI O2 such as this fellow did http://www.mashie.org/casemods/oenone01.html Thus breathing much need life back into a beautifully designed peace of hardware. Well the case any way :)
infedel wrote:
Quote:
You could try case modding an old SGI O2 such as this fellow did http://www.mashie.org/casemods/oenone01.html Thus breathing much need life back into a beautifully designed peace of hardware. Well the case any way :)

That was tasteful mod, at least it made me more impressed with the original O2-hardware design, seeing how much work it was to put some simple PC-hardware into it.

I've hosted a board off a business class connection at home, and it's not easy. Users are constantly bitching, back when Cali was doing their rolling brownouts, there was constant worry that the UPSs wouldn't handle it, a power supply would fail, etc etc...

Point is, I know how much of a pain in the ass it is, and I really appreciate it nekonoko . If this site didn't exist, I don't think I'd have any SGI equipment at all. Anytime you're down in Socal, shoot me a PM. Beers are on me! :)

Ah, it's not running on a D945GLF anymore - I moved to a D510MO in late January . The board is the same size physical size, but I don't think I'd want to mess with putting it in an SGI case. If I were to though, I think the Indy (Challenge S) would be a better form factor - you can actually stack things on top of it.

All Rights Reserved.
bigD wrote:
Point is, I know how much of a pain in the ass it is, and I really appreciate it nekonoko . If this site didn't exist, I don't think I'd have any SGI equipment at all. Anytime you're down in Socal, shoot me a PM. Beers are on me! :)

Thanks much, I really appreciate that!

All Rights Reserved.
Quote:
Ah, it's not running on a D945GLF anymore - I moved to a D510MO in late January. The board is the same size physical size, but I don't think I'd want to mess with putting it in an SGI case. If I were to though, I think the Indy (Challenge S) would be a better form factor - you can actually stack things on top of it.

Now that would be cool, a cluster of web servers all running a small Mini ITX board inside of a bunch of Challenge S cases. They would all have to run a near to silent as possible (to keep the noise and heat down). If I had one I might even consider doing the mod myself. :)
all gods little indy's cried today.

All Rights Reserved.
skywriter wrote:
all gods little indy's cried today.

Not sure why anyone would get upset about re-using an Indy case ? There's nothing special about it. The NeXT pizza box was exactly the same size, cast in magnesium and had cooling fins cast into the area under the power supply. For a little square box that was pretty cool.
nekonoko wrote:
Not to worry - I don't plan on modding any SGI machines. It was more a comment that the O2 case design isn't very practical for a headless server.

glad to hear that :D

Emachines PC 3.0GHz Dual Core (Intel)
Custom Built Ubuntu PC 1.207GHz (AMD)
Mac G4 1.25GHz
Nothing at the moment - they're powered down.

All Rights Reserved.
I also appreciate having this site around. It makes a good place to ask computer questions and discuss old hardware.

Admittedly, I mostly use it as a less profitable but far more pleasant place than ebay. Though, now that I have a real job, I am a lot less interested in reselling old hardware and more interested in keeping my excess junk to a minimum.

A little sad to see the O350s go, but quite understandable.