Nekochan Net

Nekochan.net operating costs? - Page 2

Yeah, it's more that some forum members have become nekonoko-hostile rather than IRIX, but point taken - there's still fun stuff to do on IRIX hardware.

I've been trying to post up on the blog some of the stuff that's slipped through the cracks during the summer when temperatures precluded powering on hardware. Probably missed some though.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Yeah, it's more that some forum members have become nekonoko-hostile rather than IRIX, but point taken - there's still fun stuff to do on IRIX hardware.

I've been trying to post up on the blog some of the stuff that's slipped through the cracks during the summer when temperatures precluded powering on hardware. Probably missed some though.

I wanted to post a few comments on the blog yesterday and tried to register with MT4 but the "Captcha" doesn't display on my Mac?!? (Not meaning to turn this into a trouble shoot post)

Is it a Safari prob? I'm on 4.0.3 (10.6.1)

I think you need to pull apart one of your big-irons Neko and give it re-install...That'll get your enthusiasm going!

Thanks for the site though, is one of the few I log onto everyday!

-Jacques
No SGI box currently...Snif!
JacquesT wrote: Is it a Safari prob? I'm on 4.0.3 (10.6.1)

No, the captcha works but it's really, really slow to come up. You just need to wait for it - can take a minute or more. Perl is excruciatingly slow under IRIX; I've been considering moving from Movable Type to WordPress for this reason.

On the plus side though it probably keeps a lot of the spammers away - they just get impatient ;)
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: No, the captcha works but it's really, really slow to come up. You just need to wait for it - can take a minute or more. Perl is excruciatingly slow under IRIX; I've been considering moving from Movable Type to WordPress for this reason.

I really like WordPress, although for reasonably high traffic levels, you might find you need a caching plugin, of which there are several simple to install choices.
Is that the cheapest SDSL plan? Is a SDSL plan really required when it comes to bandwidth? And you have to pay extra for a static IP too, right?
Originally Posted by Tommie
Please delete your post. It is an insult to all the hard work society has put into making you an intelligent being.

Like somebody at AMD said about a decade ago: Benchmarking is like sex. Everybody brags about it, everybody loves doing it and nobody can agree on performance.
ritchan wrote: Is that the cheapest SDSL plan? Is a SDSL plan really required when it comes to bandwidth? And you have to pay extra for a static IP too, right?

You're not paying for it, so why does it matter?
All Rights Reserved.
ritchan wrote: Is that the cheapest SDSL plan? Is a SDSL plan really required when it comes to bandwidth? And you have to pay extra for a static IP too, right?

That is a decent price in my area for good SDSL - virtually all SDSL connectivity has been lumped into business class connections, which usually means a starting point of $125-$200.00 for very low bandwidth (like ISDN speeds).
configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.
Just to throw in my two cents on Internet prices.

I upgraded my compays Internet line just two month ago, I am not sure if it is SDSL or what other technology.
Currently I pay EUR 549 for a 10 Mbit synchronus line. This includes 5 static IPs, of which I still have two to spare, but I dare to use the company line for anything else.

p. s. Thanks for this great site Neko, I really apprechiate it, even when I currently do not own any SGIs at the moment.
---

it's a means to an end
As new SGI guy only had a Indigo2 in the past I finally got my Origin200 running and without this site I
would not make it.

I have quite a few Suns(E450, E250, Blade 2500, 1500 and u10's and a SS20 as firewall 2x50 MHz ) and now my Origin so I understand what you mean with powercost, but its -20 now in Sweden so
I don't mind :)

cheers

/michael
--
No Microsoft product was used in any way to write or send this text.
If you use a Microsoft product to read it, you're doing so at your own
risk.
nekonoko wrote: Power costs are fairly significant for the O350s as well.

I've resolved this part at least - got a faster web server and lower power costs in one go :)
All Rights Reserved.
hamei wrote:
Money ? You guys actually have to pay money for Windows ? That's disgusting !

Old MacDonald had a farm,
Ee-i-ee-i-o,
And on his farm he had a duck,
Ee-i-ee-i-o,
With a quack-quack here,
And a quack-quack there,
Here a quack, there a quack ,

Everywhere a quack-quack...
hamei wrote:
zmttoxics wrote:
I just put Win7Pro on my gaming rig. I find its a bit of an improvement over XP (and a major one over Vista). That isn't saying much, but it makes me feel the money was worth it.

Money ? You guys actually have to pay money for Windows ? That's disgusting !

Did I mention my disgusting amount of PC games and that I don't like to pirate software?

I got four copies of win 7 pro for free through MSDNAA and one of 7 ultimate through the bookstore for $7.99. Why do you need to pirate software when they practically give it away? Though windows 7 is probably the first ms OS that is well worth the money.

Is that the same Atom you were using as an hackintosh? Is it a 230 or a 330?

I have a Atom330 here, and it's on 24H duty and it's fairly stable, but it likes to simply freeze once a week... Then again it's running M$ Win7... like playing with matches around a can of fuel.

You're just doing it wrong, here's a 24x7 330 (D945GCLF2). Running Open Solaris (snv_101b)
Code:
tiny:~$ uptime
7:10am  up 60 days  7:21,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.00, 0.00

And Windows 7 (Build 7100) on a Core2Duo (work machine)
Code:
C:\>uptime
\\SEVEN has been up for: 30 day(s), 15 hour(s), 6 minute(s), 33 second(s)

Speaking of Fuel, I have one with a bad memory controller (only works with one bank) and it's up for 76 days.

:O3000: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: <--challenge S
japes wrote:
Speaking of Fuel, I have one with a bad memory controller (only works with one bank) and it's up for 76 days.

Are you sure the memcontrol is bad ? I had a bank get disabled during some fiasco a while back (death of a power supply iirc) And an < enableall > brought them back.

Would hate to screw up your uptime rating tho :D
I have a V480 in a test cluster with a bad dimm on one of the cpu boards, its been on for a solid year though. :)

Are you sure the memcontrol is bad ? I had a bank get disabled during some fiasco a while back (death of a power supply iirc) And an < enableall > brought them back.

Would hate to screw up your uptime rating tho :D

As I recall it won't actually pass diagnostics if you boot up the diagnostics, don't remember the failure though.

If I install a second pair of memory (1gb kit) the second bank will disable during POST. If you enable it everything seems to work, I ran a bunch of programs, even used a test program to allocate most of the memory in the machine. As soon as another POST cycle happens the memory bank will disable again. I just use it with a single bank, 1gb. It holds the counter down here at work just fine. I was actually going to trade this one for some Origin 3k parts about 6 months ago but dropped the ball.

A bit off topic now though aren't we?

So that Atom server must be a bit quieter than the 2-node O350, and come summer the reduced heat/power should be nice I imagine.

:O3000: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: <--challenge S
japes wrote:
So that Atom server must be a bit quieter than the 2-node O350, and come summer the reduced heat/power should be nice I imagine.

No more dull roar from the spare bedroom; it's eerily quiet around here :)

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:

I dunno, neko .... the colors on the front page seem to be a bit off now. Maybe you need to adjust the gamma on that Atom ?
hamei wrote:
nekonoko wrote:

I dunno, neko .... the colors on the front page seem to be a bit off now. Maybe you need to adjust the gamma on that Atom ?

Did you also notice that :)

/michael

risk.