Nekochan Net

Nekochan.net operating costs? - Page 4

While we're talking casemods ... there's a fair number of O2000 desksides around missing their internals, not really so exciting as computers and not all that historical. I bet a newer Origin (O300, O350) or even a pair of same would fit into one of those very nicely ...
hamei wrote:
While we're talking casemods ... there's a fair number of O2000 desksides around missing their internals, not really so exciting as computers and not all that historical. I bet a newer Origin (O300, O350) or even a pair of same would fit into one of those very nicely ...

I wonder if a nodeboard can take a Dual Opteron setup? Nah.

Octane 2xR12K-300, 1.5GB, 36GB 10K, 73GB 10K, V8
Indigo2 195MHz, 1GB, 36GB, SI
MisterDNA wrote:
hamei wrote:

I wonder if a nodeboard can take a Dual Opteron setup? Nah.

Not sure the power density would work out in your favor there... I've never seen a PC shoved into an O2K case... that could be pretty interesting if a bit blasphemous ;)

A peecee would rattle around in there like the clapper in the Liberty bell :P

An ir3 and an o300 or o350 tho .....
hamei wrote:

O2000/Onyx2 deskside is only 20" deep including skins; they're actually rather small. O300/O350 is about 27" deep :)

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
hamei wrote:

O2000/Onyx2 deskside is only 20" deep including skins; they're actually rather small. O300/O350 is about 27" deep :)

Is the O2000 smaller than a Crimson ? In a Crimson there's is enough height to stand the O300 vertically ... not that I'd ever do that, of course :D
Yes, a Crimson is much deeper than an O2000.

All Rights Reserved.
Hamei, I've got a Crimson chassis that needs a new home if you feel like being adventurous...

I had the tape measure out right after I read your first post about that, zulu :) The trouble is, how the heck would I get it here ? It sure won't fit in carry-on :(

You might consider it tho ... one or two O300 mainboards and the guts from an X-brick in a Crimson chassis ?

nekonoko wrote:
hamei wrote:

Just threw the tape measure across an O300 .... the front part of the case is disks and air, the board itself is 17.5" deep .... hmmm .... Crimson or O2000 deskside, which is better ?
Neko, first I want to say I appreciate what you have here, and the dedication to this site. It is awesome and I certainly can say this is where I have read posts from some great minds.

I haven't gotten on in quite awhile myself as life has taken so much time- and it gets so easy to just use appliance-tized stuff. The true marks of craftsmen is ones that take basic materials and chisel them into new uses. I think the problem today is people get taken in by the new stuff, with all it's glitter but then are fickle to jump the next one before they have really fully driven it to it's limits.
(all about consumerism).

Like iPhones and iMacs - I bought both within months of introduction and less than year later they are replaced by later and greater for less... And of course the value falls as well.

This forum/board really has allowed users and explorers to fully exploit hardware that has been super expensive and obsoleted to be reutilized. Collectors like me to trade knowledge and acquire as well.

So excellent kudos to you neko, and I give thanks to your generosity to the computer world.

Amiga 4000 060 & PPC with toaster/flyer
Mac Intel imac 24inch (dual 3 G), Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002 w Dual 1.8G (LEOPARD)
G4 GigE Dual 500 (TIGER/OS9), imac G3 (PANTHER)

Sun Ultra 60, SunBlade 2000 Dual 1G (SOLARIS 10)

PC Gateway DualCore, and other lowly PC's (laptops)
Qube3, RaQ4's,Audiotron,Magnia