Apple

Apple powermac G4 - Page 2

Thanks, I find yours and for that matter everyones replies very useful.

I think I shall flash an ati card I have lying around, probably after I have upgraded the RAM.

Emachines PC 3.0GHz Dual Core (Intel)
Custom Built Ubuntu PC 1.207GHz (AMD)
Mac G4 1.25GHz
I do have another noob question, are the PCI slots just the same as in PCs?

Mac G4 1.25GHz
iirc yes

Looks like the one works on PPC Macs using Elgato Eye 2 or what ever it is. Some more research may be required for the tv tuner options...

I'll have to look into it, I'll see what I can find lying around and experiment, then if that doesn't work I'll have to have a look a purchasing a tv tuner, I would probably also need a new graphics card, the current one only has a 64 MB card, I'll post in the wanted section soon just to see what people have lying around, all the decent cards seem to be in china...

I have also found a copy of the owners manual.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
indyman007 wrote:
I would probably also need a new graphics card, the current one only has a 64 MB card, I'll post in the wanted section soon just to see what people have lying around, all the decent cards seem to be in china...

That model shipped with the Radeon 9000. Not a bad card for its era, and perfectly adequate for routine computer use, though obviously you would struggle a bit with frame rates on late generation PowerPC games. Check out the video card benchmarks section at http://lowendmac.com/video/agp/radeon-9000.html , and don't forget to verify that any new card you try is explicitly supported for hardware acceleration by whatever version of the OS you pick. Just because a card will work with a particular version of OS X does not necessarily mean that it will work in accelerated mode.
josehill wrote:
indyman007 wrote:
I would probably also need a new graphics card, the current one only has a 64 MB card, I'll post in the wanted section soon just to see what people have lying around, all the decent cards seem to be in china...

That model shipped with the Radeon 9000. Not a bad card for its era, and perfectly adequate for routine computer use, though obviously you would struggle a bit with frame rates on late generation PowerPC games. Check out the video card benchmarks section at http://lowendmac.com/video/agp/radeon-9000.html , and don't forget to verify that any new card you try is explicitly supported for hardware acceleration by whatever version of the OS you pick. Just because a card will work with a particular version of OS X does not necessarily mean that it will work in accelerated mode.

Ah, good point, I would've over looked that, glad that you raised it, but I think first things first, RAM, I need/would like 2GB, so I can run 10.4, at the moment it is said to be running 10.3.9, but from what I gather there are two types of RAM in regard to the bus speed, 133MHz or 167MHz, so I'll have to see, hopefully it will be the same as what I already have.

But after reading that page you posted, I don't think I will need to upgrade straight away, in one of my older PCs I have an Nvidia GeForce Mx440 (which as I understand it, was the entry level GPU), not the same but a 64MB card never the less, it seems to cope quite well with playing videos, the pc it is installed in is only a low spec machine, 1.2GHz, 1GB of ram and it runs Ubuntu, but on a good day i.e. one where I only run the web browser and no other applications it can even play a youtube video :D , I am not expecting the mac to be able to do that, but I would like to be able to watch DVDs and downloaded films.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
As a note, playing videos is more CPU intensive then GPU intensive. Having a nice GPU doesn't mean you can watch 1080p H.264 videos and the like.

I do appreciate all the advice a lot.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Hmm, I will have to do some work on the monitor, I have just been informed that the rear bracket is missing, does anyone have any pictures of the mounts without the rear piece of plastic.

If there are sufficient mounting points I might make up a nice aluminium bracket.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Can't help ya there, I never owned an ACD of any kind.

Edit: Well I guess that would have been a Studio display, not a cinema display, but I can't remember.

You can see the original mount and get an idea of what you'd need to fabricate in the instruction sheet for this after-market stand for the Acrylic Apple Cinema Display: http://www.ergomart.com/Docs/CDA2718_instructions.pdf

If that looks too complicated <or expensive>, this site has the Apple OEM replacement stand for $40 - but you could always use the part numbers they list to look for closer/cheaper alternatives: http://www.welovemacs.com/9225510.html

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
Its here, I have encountered a few 'niggles'.

When I go to shut it down, it just goes to sleep.

I also do not know the Super User password, is there a way to reset it?

It is os x 10.3

Mac G4 1.25GHz
'sudo su' enter your user passwd, then 'passwd' to change the root password.

If you don't know any account passwords: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274?viewlocale=en_US Scroll down to Resetting the original administrator account password :

So, it is finally up and running.

I just hope that it doesn't get too hot because of where I placed it.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
indyman007 wrote:
So, it is finally up and running.
Congratulations. You have to watch for an opportunity to obtain a newer revision of OS X and upgrade <or do a clean install if there aren't any apps installed you can't live without>. OS X 10.5 was the newest revision available last time I had an MDD. 10.5 ran well on that system, but 10.4 felt slightly more responsive <and took less time to boot as well>.
indyman007 wrote:
I just hope that it doesn't get too hot because of where I placed it.
Hard to tell from that photo, but it looks like it might not hurt to give it a little more breathing distance from the wall. I had the same model with dual 1.42GHz processors. That one ran on the warm side.

I noticed the previously mentioned missing "leg" for your Apple Display in one of your photos. A replacement, or did you find the original?

Yup, have just moved it a bit further away from the wall :) .

As for the Apple Display mounting, I am in the process of repairing it :) .

I will take a closer look on the weekend :) .

Any pointers?

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Right, well I have taken a look into matters, one of the RAM sticks or RAM socket is Kaput, I will try with some other ram I have.

I would also like to get my hands on a Pidgin release for 10.3 but I cannot seem to find one anywhere.

Any ideas?

Mac G4 1.25GHz