Apple

Apple powermac G4 - Page 4

indyman007 wrote:
I am a bit curious as to what GFX card you are running :D ?
FWIW I ran a Mac Edition 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro in the MMD I had.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
recondas wrote:
indyman007 wrote:
I am a bit curious as to what GFX card you are running :D ?
FWIW I ran a Mac Edition 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro in the MMD I had.

Well, I have the 64MB card, the basic and to my surprise, it coped with YouTube, I was rather happy with it, but as previously stated video is more CPU intensive. It does struggle a bit with some of the 3-D stuff.

Plus your card is a little more costly. :P .

Emachines PC 3.0GHz Dual Core (Intel)
Custom Built Ubuntu PC 1.207GHz (AMD)
Mac G4 1.25GHz
indyman007 wrote:
IDE hard drives you say, odd mine comes up under ATA, I'll look into it, you may have just saved me quite a lot of money :) .

Yeah, standard parallel IDE hard drives - also known as PATA. The front bus supports ATA-66, the rear bus I believe is ATA-133, but it might be 100 - it's faster though.
Serial ATA drives will not work in this machine (unless you add a Mac compatible SATA controller).

Quote:
Do you use any aftermarket drives? Optical that is.

Yes. Shortly after I got the machine, I added a 48x Plextor Plexwriter to the lower optical bay. To make it fit, I simply removed the front of the drive's tray (it hits the rounded opening from the inside). It was not supported at the time under 10.2, so I hacked a .plist file to enable finder burning. Later versions of the OS (10.3+) support most/all third party drives no problem. I'm also now using a Sony dual layer DVD burner externally in a homemade Firewire box. That too works flawlessly, no special software required.

-Ian
RetroHacker wrote:
indyman007 wrote:
IDE hard drives you say, odd mine comes up under ATA, I'll look into it, you may have just saved me quite a lot of money :) .

Yeah, standard parallel IDE hard drives - also known as PATA. The front bus supports ATA-66, the rear bus I believe is ATA-133, but it might be 100 - it's faster though.
Serial ATA drives will not work in this machine (unless you add a Mac compatible SATA controller).

Quote:
Do you use any aftermarket drives? Optical that is.

Yes. Shortly after I got the machine, I added a 48x Plextor Plexwriter to the lower optical bay. To make it fit, I simply removed the front of the drive's tray (it hits the rounded opening from the inside). It was not supported at the time under 10.2, so I hacked a .plist file to enable finder burning. Later versions of the OS (10.3+) support most/all third party drives no problem. I'm also now using a Sony dual layer DVD burner externally in a homemade Firewire box. That too works flawlessly, no special software required.

-Ian

I was looking into getting a SATA controller and then a nice SATA drive :) , would this work? I don't really know how much SATA cards are these days, a lot?

I reckon Dual Layer is a must these days, I have seen a cheap LG one, I shall implement that :D .

Mac G4 1.25GHz
I honestly am unsure of the Mac compatibility of SATA cards. I've never tried to use one. When this machine was new, SATA was still off in the horizon. I do know that I've seen cards billed as "Mac Compatible", so I would imagine that you need one with a Mac ROM, just like you need a Mac SCSI card or a Mac IDE card. There is a chance that a common PC Silicon Image SATA card would work - but you would definitely be unable to boot from it if it did. Again, I've never tried it. If you have a friend with a PCI SATA card, you can try plugging it in and see what happens.

I did recently add two 1tb SATA drives to my machine, set up as a mirrored array. But I did it through Firewire. I bought a converter board from DatOptic - it supports two SATA disks and communicates through Firewire 800. I mounted both drives and the converter board in an old Compaq external SCSI case, and added a Firewire 800 card (cheap!) to the Mac to talk to it. It's very fast.

When adding a dual layer burner, if you add it internally, remember to get an parallel IDE one - fortunately they aren't too hard to find at the moment, but they might be getting scarce in the coming years.

-Ian
I have an old Quicksilver 2002 (no longer actively used) that's been converted to SATA. I went with a SeriTek/1VE2+2 which provides two internal and two external SATA ports and Mac firmware. It's fully bootable via SATA - I completely pulled the PATA disks aside from the optical drive.

All Rights Reserved.
RetroHacker wrote:
When adding a dual layer burner, if you add it internally, remember to get an parallel IDE one - fortunately they aren't too hard to find at the moment, but they might be getting scarce in the coming years.

-Ian

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Black-S ... 320&sr=8-1

That fit the bill??

:D Looks to be IDE, I was just checking, that price seemed a little to good, also I don't think the Bezel comes off :/.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
If the optical drive is to completely replace the original Superdrive, you might want to do a little research before purchase to make sure the new one will boot an install CD/DVD.

recondas wrote:
If the optical drive is to completely replace the original Superdrive, you might want to do a little research before purchase to make sure the new one will boot an install CD/DVD.

It's just so I can burn DL DVDs :) .

This may sound a bit dumb but, are all superdrives bootable?

I held the option key during boot and only the HDD came up as a boot device, does the Super Drive still come up even if empty?

Mac G4 1.25GHz
It only appears if there is a bootable cd in it.

That fit the bill??

:D Looks to be IDE, I was just checking, that price seemed a little to good, also I don't think the Bezel comes off :/.

Looks like it should. I looked up the model number, it says it's IDE. Amazon's site sucks for useful information about products...

The bezel doesn't need to come off - just the end of the tray. I've yet to see an optical drive where the end of the tray *doesn't* come off. Just open the tray, and flip the drive over. Look at the bottom back of the tray's faceplate - they're clipped onto the tray with a two clips usually, one on each side. Just disengage the clips and slide it off.

I would install it in the lower bay and leave the original Superdrive - historically, Macs had a problem booting from non-apple drives. Personally, I've been able to boot from my external Firewire DVD drive just fine.

-Ian
indyman007 wrote:
This may sound a bit dumb but, are all superdrives bootable?I
Not all are - the OEM Superdrives have Apple specific firmware <or at least the PPC era Pioneer ones do>.

recondas wrote:
indyman007 wrote:
This may sound a bit dumb but, are all superdrives bootable?I
Not all are - the OEM Superdrives had Apple specific firmware.

Also remember that in the general sense, "Superdrive" is just what Apple calls it's most capable disc burner/drive at the time. Back in the early Mac days, Apple called the 1.44mb floppy drive a Superdrive. Their first DVD burner was a Superdrive. Since then, they just call whatever DVD burner they're currently shipping "Superdrive". Outside the Mac world, everybody remembers "Superdrive" to mean the old Imation LS-120 floppy drive that also wrote to those 120mb SuperDisks.

A generic DVD burner is not a "superdrive". A DVD burner with Apple firmware is, however.

Now, all that aside, my old Superdrive won't play DVD+R discs, so to boot a burned disc on +R or +R DL media, I have to use the external DVD burner. It's not Apple at all, but it boots. The only sure fire way to see if a drive is bootable is to just try it.

-Ian
RetroHacker wrote:
indyman007 wrote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Black-S ... 320&sr=8-1

That fit the bill??

Looks like it should. I looked up the model number, it says it's IDE. Amazon's site sucks for useful information about products...

The bezel doesn't need to come off - just the end of the tray. I've yet to see an optical drive where the end of the tray *doesn't* come off. Just open the tray, and flip the drive over. Look at the bottom back of the tray's faceplate - they're clipped onto the tray with a two clips usually, one on each side. Just disengage the clips and slide it off.

I would install it in the lower bay and leave the original Superdrive - historically, Macs had a problem booting from non-apple drives. Personally, I've been able to boot from my external Firewire DVD drive just fine.

-Ian

I am not going to touch the original one :D , I'll was intending to put it in the lower bay :) , all the stuff that was put in by Apple stays.

Amazon is a tool at times, I'll get one ordered soon aswell.

If the end of the tray doesn't come off, I am quite competent with a hacksaw.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Problems with usb 2.0 card. Sleeping will not work correctly anymore.

:Indigo2IMP: r4400-200 Extreme
:Indy: r5k-180 XZ
ginopilotino wrote:
Problems with usb 2.0 card. Sleeping will not work correctly anymore.

How do you mean?

My sleep mode doesn't seem to work anyway.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
In mine it works. But when i put in a usb pci card and I use it, my pm doesn't stop anymore.

ginopilotino wrote:
In mine it works. But when i put in a usb pci card and I use it, my pm doesn't stop anymore.

PM?

Mac G4 1.25GHz
PowerMac :D

Sleep is flakey on these machines anyway - or, at least, it was in 10.2. The first peripheral I ever bought for my Mac was a USB floppy drive. After it was connected, the machine would crash every time it went into sleep. At this time, the floppy drive was the *only* piece of third party hardware connected, and the machine was under warranty. I called Apple, and explained the problem - their solution? Just plug in the floppy drive when I wanted to use it.

I disabled sleep and have never re-enabled it.

-Ian