Apple

Apple powermac G4 - Page 3

indyman007 wrote:
Right, well I have taken a look into matters, one of the RAM sticks or RAM socket is Kaput, I will try with some other ram I have.

I would also like to get my hands on a Pidgin release for 10.3 but I cannot seem to find one anywhere.

Any ideas?

Good luck.
http://trac.adium.im/wiki/PreviousReleases
Hmm, will have to look into that, at first glance it doesn't like the MSN protocol.

Emachines PC 3.0GHz Dual Core (Intel)
Custom Built Ubuntu PC 1.207GHz (AMD)
Mac G4 1.25GHz
10.3 is a problem for newer software these days. You should be running 10.4 or even 10.5. I managed to find the dmg for MacPorts for Panther which should have pidgin in it, but it looks like Panther is unsupported officially by MacPorts so you may run into problems.

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macp ... anther.dmg

If anyone is interested.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Where's the best place to find a cheap copy of OS X 10.5? I've just bought a 1.42GHz G4 Emac to replace an even older G3 Imac I have set up in the corner of my kitchen to browse while cooking :)
It's coming with 10.4 installed (no media), but I'd rather have an up to date legit version as I plan to reinstall and partition it with Debian PPC as well.

More Ram has been ordered, but only 2x 512MB, so it wis 256MB shy of 2Gb :)

It also seems to be running a bit on the warm side, so I was wondering, could I adapt something like this to fit into the G4?

Mac G4 1.25GHz
indyman007 wrote:
Heres a bit of an update.

More Ram has been ordered, but only 2x 512MB, so it wis 256MB shy of 2Gb :)

It also seems to be running a bit on the warm side, so I was wondering, could I adapt something like this to fit into the G4?

Someone did a water cooling mod on an older G4.

http://www.applefritter.com/node/3299
I saw that one, just wanted mine to fit within the case, I am very new to water cooling, my mac just seems to run a little on the warm side and I was looking for a solution :) , I'll see if it can be adapted to fit within the mac.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Might be hard to use what you want, you have to find some way to mount it and mount the heat sink onto the cpu. To me, it looks like too much work just to get it right. By what I can see in the inside of a G4 MDD. If you move your hard drives to the secondary hard drive bay. You might get away with mounting a fan to the heatsink of the cpu and if you have the extra cash, a pci slot fan might help out abit.
Any idea how to make mdd less noisy? No way to buy verax kit anymore.

:Indigo2IMP: r4400-200 Extreme
:Indy: r5k-180 XZ
ginopilotino wrote:
Any idea how to make mdd less noisy? No way to buy verax kit anymore.

Buy a G5. :D

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Noise from fans. Mostly the two delta on psu. But even the big one near cpu is really noisy sometimes.

Somewhere on the internet, I their is a website , that someone changed his with some fans that he bought cheap. OR. You can mod a ATX power supply, put you will lose the 25v needed for the ADC on the video card.
Yes, I know, it's on xlr8yourmac.

Nice machine! That's very similar to my main computer - I use a MDD Dual 1.42ghz G4. It started out as a dual 1ghz, but I upgraded the processor module. I've had it since new, and it's been a wonderful machine.

Some notes about it:

It's going to be noisy. It was like that when it was new - it never bothered me, so I never looked into fixing it. One thing I did notice was that after I upgraded the CPU, it got somewhat quieter. The new CPU came with the copper heatsink, which allows it to run cooler, thus running the large fan less.

It gets hot. This is normal. Just allow enough room behind the machine for it to vent and you'll be fine - mine is about eight inches from the wall. You can make it run cooler by installing the copper heat-piped heat sink that came with the dual 1.42's. Use good quality thermal goo as well.

You can fit four IDE hard drives in it, and two optical drives. The bus that controls the rear hard drives is faster than the one that controls the front hard drives, so put your OS drive there. Any standard IDE type optical drive works fine - but you'll have to remove the tray's faceplate (not the whole drive faceplate) otherwise the tray hits the inside of the case when it tries to open. The "superdrive" DVD burner that shipped with my machine is a Pioneer A04. It's a good drive, but it's slow, and won't read DVD+R discs.

The machine tops out at 2 gig of RAM. It takes regular PC2700 DDR RAM (333mhz), although it is a bit picky about which it'll take. Run the Apple Hardware Test (disc available for download from Apple, get the one for your model of Mac), and test the RAM after upgrading. Just because it shows up doesn't mean it won't cause hangs if it's incompatible. I have found that Kingston RAM was crap for these machines. It supports 1gig sticks just fine, provided you get compatible ones. If you plug more than 2 gig of RAM in, it only sees the first 2 gig - the memory controller can't address more.

The PCI slots are standard 64bit PCI-X, although MacOS is picky about which cards it'll work with when it comes to drive controllers. You need a Mac compatible SCSI, SATA, etc. card. PCI USB and Firewire cards seem pretty universal though.

Similarly, upgrading the graphics card is going to be hard. It's AGP, but you need an AGP card with a Mac ROM on it. Standard PC cards won't work - but some can be re-flashed. The stock card has been more than enough for anything I've needed though. I had to buy an ADC-VGA adapter to use the second monitor. The one I bought was made by Dr. Botts, (I think it was the only one available at the time). It works fine, I'm using two 17" CRT monitors.

The USB ports are 1.1. Standard PCI USB2.0 cards work just fine.

Mine has been humming along now pretty much 24/7 since I bought it new. It's been upgraded a lot, I have four internal hard drives, two internal optical drives, 2gig of RAM, SCSI card, Firewire 800 card, USB2 card, and a whole mess of Firewire hard drives and stuff.

Two weeks ago, it died for the first time, in a brownout. I found one faulty capacitor in the power supply and replaced it, and it came right back to life.

-Ian
Regarding USB 2.0 cards, I heard that only those with NEC chips work?
Some good notes there, I reckon I'll look into upgrading the heat sink, I quite like the 1.25GHz processor, I like to compare my other older PCs to it. As for ram I picked up some the other day, £30 for 1Gb, damn that was expensive, but it was all that was needed, I am a bit curious as to what GFX card you are running :D ?

IDE hard drives you say, odd mine comes up under ATA, I'll look into it, you may have just saved me quite a lot of money :) .

Do you use any aftermarket drives? Optical that is.

And just a bit of speculation, reckon USB 3.0 will work when it arrives? :D

Mac G4 1.25GHz
indyman007 wrote:
And just a bit of speculation, reckon USB 3.0 will work when in arrives? :D

It looks like they USB3 cards are all going to be PCIe, so no. Besides, that old G4 wouldn't be fast enough to take advantage of it.

And just a bit of speculation, reckon USB 3.0 will work when in arrives? :D

It looks like they USB3 cards are all going to be PCIe, so no. Besides, that old G4 wouldn't be fast enough to take advantage of it.

Ah well, guess I'll have to ditch the P4 then :cry: , it has been a good desktop :P .

Hopefully Apple will incorporate USB 3.0 fairly quickly :) .

Mac G4 1.25GHz