Apple

Apple powermac G4 - Page 6

Boot from hd with tiger, insert leopard dvd, set next boot on dvd, restart, install, next next next :D

:Indigo2IMP: r4400-200 Extreme
:Indy: r5k-180 XZ
Have tried, have failed. :)

Emachines PC 3.0GHz Dual Core (Intel)
Custom Built Ubuntu PC 1.207GHz (AMD)
Mac G4 1.25GHz
Get another copy on the stupid animal :D

:Indigo2IMP: r4400-200 Extreme
:Indy: r5k-180 XZ
Still an on going problem :D .

Mac G4 1.25GHz
I forget, did you try a new dvd rom?

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Sorry, I meant DVD-Rom DRIVE not Disc.

Mac G4 1.25GHz
indyman007 wrote:
Oh, no, I only have the one for the mac.

It is just an IDE drive, you can swap it out for the one in your PC and try it. The drive was bad on my PMG4 when I got it too (these systems are getting old if you forgot).

Mac G4 1.25GHz
Nice, but isn't nice that you can get after all. i would recommend to upgrade processors to Dual 1.8 Sonnet (7447A). It will compare with Dual 2.5 GHz G5 (970FX) with this upgrade. Also i recommend to get NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS flashed and blocked to AGP4x. It is fast and has a h.264 hardware decoding. Next is SATA-I for the booting. With Solid State Drives it will boot and loads programs much faster. Faster than Velociraptors. Why SSD?? SSD is faster, not much eat from PSU, cold, and doesn't have noise. For the storage i would recommend SATA-II Controller with large disks. Next is AirPort. Standart AirPort is kinda slow... Recently in my researches i have found wifi cards that works with built-in AirPort drivers. I've installed Linksys WPC600N PCMCIA Card over Startech's PCMCIA Controller with TI1520 chipset and in result i have dual-band AirPort (2.4GHz & 5GHz) in PowerPC system.

The best thing about the SSD though is that the machine makes NO noise at all :shock: and power consumption will often drop below 3 watts (that's for the whole machine) when running on the battery, more often it is at 6 or 7 watts when playing games though. Before, it was about double, maybe 6-10 watts.

Both of my first gens (5gb and 10gb) will charge over firewire but when connected to my laptops firewire port, they are not seen by the computer. The same goes for one of my third gens. One will dock and I can mess with it (It also says "format: Windows" in the About screen) but the other is not detected (it does not specify the format in the About screen).
I do have a second gen however and it is seen and works with my laptop no problem.
My suspicion is that the firmware on these three are just so old that it predates when Apple made the iPod available for the PC and because of such, the iPod itself is deliberately preventing me from seeing it and using it. My only idea on how to fix this is to plug them all into a mac and use iTunes running on it to restore and update the firmware to something newer and that is compatible with the PC. Is this correct?

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.
Predates ipod for mac? What?

Firewire was on the Macs first, and ipod for windows came last.

For your third generation iPod, have you tried to see if it is viewable/syncable using USB?
oops. I meant the PC...
Ah, so my first gens are essentially useless until I plug them into my G5.
I tried the 3G on both USB and firewire. Both give the same result.

No "Format: Windows" on the 3G means it's got the HFS+ Mac firmware on it - you were right on that.

What you need to do is plug it into a Windows PC with iTunes and run a "Restore" to get the FAT-aware firmware. If it's not recognized by iTunes, there's something deeper wrong with it.

I'm not sure it's possible to get the Mac iTunes to restore a FAT firmware or vice versa.

Hey Pentium, Feel free to toss it my way, I'm in need of an old junker ipod :)

When you moving to vancouver?

Make no assumptions...