IRIX and Software

Nekoware-mips3 - Page 1

Well I fired up my old Indigo last weekend after replacing a dead battery. Great machine - but it sure would be nice to have some basic Nekoware stuff (how spoiled I've become!). So I took advantage of the fact we have such a great resource of detailed compilation instructions, patches and complete distribution files and began to "respin" existing Nekoware packages as mips3.

The basic procedure is to do a 'keep *' on a mips4 nekoware package followed by a 'install neko_somepackage.opt.*' to get the goodies needed for a recompile (instructions, source, patches and dist files). All compilation was done on IRIX 6.5.22/MIPSpro 7.4.4m on an Indigo R4400.

It's only been a few days but I've already put together enough to become useful including basic utilities (Perl, Python, Ruby, etc.), fun stuff like dexter1's XMMS and GQMPEG, server goodies like Postfix, BIND9, OpenSSL/OpenSSH and more.

Everything should just work unless I missed stripping out a 'mach' dependency in one of the dist files (got bit by that at the outset). If these packages prove useful to someone, great - if not, hey, I've got some stuff to play with on my Indigo now ;)

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/downloads/index ... are-mips3/
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Amazing news Neko! ...and I think you'll increase very sensibly the usefulness for MIPS3 boxes! ...It is really great!, I'm sure I'll have good use for these new software collection at some point. Thanks! ;)
heh heh. Nekoware fork! :D
I was waiting for this! MIPS3 fork! Yeehaw!
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
Hakimoto wrote: I was waiting for this! MIPS3 fork! Yeehaw!

Supplement ! Supplement ! Fork sounds so .... divisive.
Excellent. Now I can fire up my Elan.

thegoldbug
thegoldbug
:ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :ChallengeXL: :OnyxR: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Fuel: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :320: :320: :320: :320: :Indy: x5 :Indy: x2 :1600SW: x5 :Indigo: x7
Vault L, 6-1200s, Fibre Hub, Dials, Boards, spares, 3 Sun Blade 2000s, Sun Fire V480, 2-Hero 2000 Robots, 5-Hero 1 Robots
Just picked one up for $10! Now if it comes with a keyboard and mouse I can install some Nekoware :D
My gear:
:O200: R10k 180mhz, 128mb, 36gb
:Indy: R5k 150SC, 128mb, 9g
:Indigo2: Teal, 256mb, 18GB, Extreme
hamei wrote:
Hakimoto wrote: I was waiting for this! MIPS3 fork! Yeehaw!

Supplement ! Supplement ! Fork sounds so .... divisive.

Ok, ok. :P

I was waiting for this! MIPS3 SUPPLEMENT! Yeehaw! :D
The Bandito wrote: In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...
What excellent timing! I'm supposed to be picking up an Indigo this weekend.
What a good idea!

I will probably get an Indy and an Indigo soon. And the box I'm working on quite everyday is a R4400 Indigo2. Do you plan to compile the latest version of rsync too?

I wish we'll have fun with all these boxes sleeping in many corners...

Regards.

Raphaël
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here .
BetXen" wrote: Do you plan to compile the latest version of rsync too?

It's all a matter of time - I've only been working on this a week now :) I just finished that one today.

If there are any other packages folks want to see sooner than later (provided they're already in standard Nekoware) let me know and I'll try to bump them higher in the priority chain.
All Rights Reserved.
Thanks a lot in advance...

Have a good day.

Raphaël
:Onyx2: : oxygen (4xR12k400) / :A3504L: :A3504L: : neon (16xI2 1.6, 9MB L2) / :O200: :O200: : beryllium (4xR12k270)
:Fuel: : nitrogen (R16k800) / :Octane2: : carbon (2xR14k600) / :Octane: : lithium (R10k400) / :Octane: : fluorine (2xR12k300) / spare 2xR12k360
:O2: : hydrogen (R10k195) / :O2: : sodium (R5k180) / :O2: : R5k180->200 MB and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: : helium (R10k195, HighImpact) / :Indigo2IMP: : boron (R4k250)/ :Indigo: : magnesium (R4k100) / :Indy: : aluminium (R5k180)
:4D70GT: 4D70GT : my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
See the hinv/gfxinfo posts here .
Great to Hear that you are giving us MIPS3 files!
My Indys and Indigo2 will be some much more usefull now.

Thanks a lot.

//deBug
Okay, still working on this - 119 packages and counting. Now that I have a lot of the libraries completed the applications are coming along pretty quickly.
All Rights Reserved.
Additional thanks here also Nekonoko. I can't wait to get my Indigo back out and get it up and running. :D
"EV-ERY-ONE!" --Stansfield
Today I wanted to try out firefox on my Indy, but wanted to use a mirror and could not find one.
So is mips3 SW only available via nekochan.net and not through a mirror?
---

it's a means to an end
Ga53n wrote: Today I wanted to try out firefox on my Indy, but wanted to use a mirror and could not find one.
So is mips3 SW only available via nekochan.net and not through a mirror?

That's correct - it's my personal project at this point.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: That's correct - it's my personal project at this point.

If you'd like nekosync to allow mirroring from this archive, then all that's needed is a descript.ion file with MD5 sums, and everything'll just work (using either the $mirror or $extra configuration directives, or the --mirror or --extra command-line options).

Having said that, if you'd prefer to protect your bandwidth and wait until the mirrors have a copy of the data, then that's completely understandable :)
sweet! nice set of software. I'm dusting off my poor indy right now

Thank you!
Great work neko!!

I just noticed them popping up on my mirror , which syncs from dexter1's twice a day.

SGI computers are getting more fun by the day :D
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?