IRIX and Software

Nekoware-mips3 - Page 3

GeneratriX wrote:
I'm hundreed percent with you, Neko; nothing works so perfectly as just get the builds done on the same platform that you want to target

Yep, learned that the hard way ... neko_gcc comes to mind :D

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
GeneratriX wrote:
I'm hundreed percent with you, Neko; nothing works so perfectly as just get the builds done on the same platform that you want to target

Yep, learned that the hard way ... neko_gcc comes to mind :D

Well, me too... :oops: ...None of the cross-compilings that I've attempted worked enough successfully to justify the amount of extra headaches/time of doing the things in such way.

I'm not saying that it is not possible to do; but at least for me, it is plainly an unuseful practice, given the extra amount of time needed to arrange a give box to get those nice&clean cross-builds.
Greetz to Pleasanton! ;)
Diego

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
I'll add to that... I just tried tightvnc and scummvm on my Indy R5K and...
PANIC: KERNEL FAULT
PC: 0x88126f18 ep: 0xffffc880
EXC code:16, `Read Address Error '

and so on...

It's got 128MB and 6.5.22m...

grmf.
Keyoke wrote:
I'll add to that... I just tried tightvnc and scummvm on my Indy R5K and...
PANIC: KERNEL FAULT
PC: 0x88126f18 ep: 0xffffc880
EXC code:16, `Read Address Error '

and so on...

It's got 128MB and 6.5.22m...

grmf.

A kernel panic is probably due to some hardware problem rather than software; that's pretty severe.

All Rights Reserved.
Or a system misconfiguration. I've had problems since I upgraded to 6.5.22m.

My 3rd or 4th attempt has just finished. I hope it's going to be better now...
I noticed that the mips3 build of firefox was still the ancient alpha 2 release. Is there any chance we could get a mips3 build of the same firefox 1.5.0.6 which was recently release for mips4? Thanks in advance.
jackwhowarth wrote: I noticed that the mips3 build of firefox was still the ancient alpha 2 release. Is there any chance we could get a mips3 build of the same firefox 1.5.0.6 which was recently release for mips4? Thanks in advance.

neko_firefox-mips3 is version 1.5 (release), not an alpha. It identifies itself as "Deer Park" as the MOZILLA_OFFICIAL 1 flag is not set, but this is the same situation as 1.5.0.6.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
I was confuised that the DeerPark alpha 2 page came up as the default home page. I don't quite see why you bother setting the offical mozilla flag to zero. Distributions like RedHat heavily patch mozilla and firefox and I don't believe they bother doing that.
jackwhowarth wrote: I was confuised that the DeerPark alpha 2 page came up as the default home page. I don't quite see why you bother setting the offical mozilla flag to zero. Distributions like RedHat heavily patch mozilla and firefox and I don't believe they bother doing that.

I didn't set it to zero - it's just not set to anything.
All Rights Reserved.
neko_firefox-1.5.0.7-mips3.tardist is now available in nekoware-mips3/beta - has official branding this time around.
All Rights Reserved.
I have installed all of your packages on my indy. The new openssh/ssl works as expected and chkconfig is now turned off but it looks like neko_ntpd is turn on :)

regards
Joerg
Hello Neko,
What is happening with the porting of your Irix 6.5 mips3 packages ? Have you changed the downloaded directory ?

If you start building packages the first priority should be the samba and a config tool (like swat) for it and maybe the spreadsheet "Gnumeric" and a word processor like abiword. Thanks
I just don't have time to do anything with the mips3 Nekoware at the moment (perhaps this summer). Maybe someone else will pick it up.

There's already a Samba in nekoware-mips3; if you can't get swat working just configure it manually - it's not that hard.
All Rights Reserved.
Is it difficult for a mips4 package to be converted to work with mips3 processors ?
They have to be recompiled and repackaged which is time consuming.
All Rights Reserved.
Ok, the good point is that we have an Internet Browser (FireFox) for our mips3 on Irix 6.5, but we are still far from mips4 dists.

Is it possible to bring to the light some more packages for mips3, when you find some time Neko ?
I am just curious why IRIX used the following directory layout decisions. Anybody know the reasoning behind it?
- Having system admin binaries in /etc/. This makes it a little awkward when you want to grep for something in the configuration files. Is it to ensure that they are always accessible even when only root is mounted? [EDIT: Just remembed, many are symlinks, so mount issues can't be the reason]
- Having root's home directory as "/". As you use editors, and in some cases install applications (e.g. adobe), you tend
to get silly .<something> file and log files left in "/". Why not use "/root"?
- Why are home directories in /usr/people as a default - it makes things like like a "find /usr -name <something>" search through even more directories and files than it should have to, compared with a "/home" layout (e.g. when searching to locate a binary or library that you have forgotten the path to).

Perhaps I got too used to Linux... but these are some places where I think Linux makes more sense than IRIX.
Will anything break by changing root's homedir to "/root", or users to use "/home"?
kramlq wrote:
- Having root's home directory as "/". As you use editors, and in some cases install applications (e.g. adobe), you tend
to get silly .<something> file and log files left in "/". Why not use "/root"?
- Why are home directories in /usr/people as a default - it makes things like like a "find /usr -name <something>" search through even more directories and files than it should have to, compared with a "/home" layout (e.g. when searching to locate a binary or library that you have forgotten the path to).

Perhaps I got too used to Linux... but these are some places where I think Linux makes more sense than IRIX.
Will anything break by changing root's homedir to "/root", or users to use "/home"?

Root's home in "/" and user's home directories in /usr/nnn are (new-)old-UNIX-standard ['80s]. Pretty much every UNIX will use some variant of this until the mid '90s and the rise of GNU (with the exception of Sun, since they were so network/nfs based home directories are/were in /export/home. Root's home is still / in SunOS4 and Solaris, though).

Having a separate home for root does keep things looking nice, I'll admit, but you really shouldn't be doing that much as root anyway. That said, between basic administration, software install, and patches I build up a fair number of files owned by root.
There shouldn't be an issue with changing root's home, just make sure it's on the root filesystem just in case.

The bigger issue with IRIX is that in the mid '90s SGI broke with UNIX tradition and put required binaries in the /usr tree. Granted, disks are big enough to where it isn't that big of an issue, but it still was bad form.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)
i changed from / to /root several times and the system survived it every time.
so i guess it's just a matter of taste.

anyhow you have to know which files to move :D