IRIX and Software

Nekoware-mips3 - Page 2

Not a problem! Had to PM dexter1 the other day to get the mirror going; he doesn't drop by anymore unless you bug him :D
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Yeah I noticed. Consumed by the World of Warcraft.... (and private life)
:)
Shall I describe it to you? Or do you want me to get you a box?
Neko,
Sorry for the delay of my posts, I have started to a new job and I am sleeping at 11 p.m. :-) Of course I am still on my Indigo2 R4400 side !!

The truth is that I have downloaded all the packs for mips3 (since midnight commander, which is super - any GUI version of this great program ??) from the PC of my job to my 1GB usb stick !!

Today I noticed that you added perl ... etc. I will download them tommorow!

As my Indigo takes internet via "CCPROXY" of my old PC that has not a monitor (I am working it via VNC) and it is always on for emule, I would like to see:

a samba version with swat
and
a p2p client

Of course Geneatrixs' toolchest menu is completing day by day :-) probably his menu is upon your tardist distributions !!!

Codepages work well in Greek and of course English language. The speed of this Firefox version is enough good for a mips3 processor really.

Is it possible to have a shockwave or a flash plugin for Deer Park, to be able to view more complicated urls ?

Thank you very much and keep up the good work !!!
dir_marillion wrote: As my Indigo takes internet via "CCPROXY" of my old PC that has not a monitor (I am working it via VNC) and it is always on for emule, I would like to see:

a samba version with swat
and
a p2p client

Like I've said, if it isn't in nekoware-mips4 it's not going in nekoware-mips3 - I'm not going to do exclusive packages that don't have an equivalent in the the mips4 distro. This is just a 1:1 port project :)

If you want to see these things you'll need to post something in:

viewtopic.php?t=4348

... and once someone does a mips4 package I'll re-roll it as mips3 based on supplied patches.
All Rights Reserved.
thanks nekonoko for this great resource!

I could _really_ use a vncviewer on my I2 for those random times I need to hit a winbox.
It's listed in mips4 nekoware as neko_tightvnc-1.2.9.tardist with dependencies: libjpeg,zlib which are obviously already in the mips3 supplement.
nelsonbt wrote: thanks nekonoko for this great resource!

I could _really_ use a vncviewer on my I2 for those random times I need to hit a winbox.
It's listed in mips4 nekoware as neko_tightvnc-1.2.9.tardist with dependencies: libjpeg,zlib which are obviously already in the mips3 supplement.

Done, might take a little bit to hit the mirror - give it a try when you get a chance :)
All Rights Reserved.
works great on my I2-R4400 -- quite nice with a phobos fast ethernet card.
thanks nekonoko!

(checked, and the vncserver also works)
nelsonbt wrote: works great on my I2-R4400 -- quite nice with a phobos fast ethernet card.
thanks nekonoko!

(checked, and the vncserver also works)

Cool, I have one of those in my Indigo(1) R4400; makes a huge difference. I just bought a Set Engineering card to play with as I've heard they offer even more performance.

Glad to hear it's working!
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: Cool, I have one of those in my Indigo(1) R4400; makes a huge difference. I just bought a Set Engineering card to play with as I've heard they offer even more performance.

not really :-(
I have the Set Engineering in my r5k-180 Challenge S and it performs about as poor as the Phobos E100 (EISA) in an Indigo2 (~6.5 MB/s peak according to ttcp). And it does Half Duplex only.. :-(
It might keep up with the Phobos G100 but i'd trade it for a G130 in a second. The advantage of the Set Engineering is that you don't need extra drivers. Even the miniroot kernel already knows the board, so you can use it for network installs..
schleusel wrote:
nekonoko wrote: Cool, I have one of those in my Indigo(1) R4400; makes a huge difference. I just bought a Set Engineering card to play with as I've heard they offer even more performance.

not really :-(
I have the Set Engineering in my r5k-180 Challenge S and it performs about as poor as the Phobos E100 (EISA) in an Indigo2 (~6.5 MB/s peak according to ttcp). And it does Half Duplex only.. :-(
It might keep up with the Phobos G100 but i'd trade it for a G130 in a second. The advantage of the Set Engineering is that you don't need extra drivers. Even the miniroot kernel already knows the board, so you can use it for network installs..

Ah, okay then - in that case I'll just put it in an Indy and keep the G130 in the Indigo. It's doing full duplex pretty nicely at the moment :)
All Rights Reserved.
Hello to all that installed and used mips3 port for TightNVC.

Where may I change the config for running TightVNC as a server ? I mean where could I add a user and a password to be able to view Irix via a Laptop that runs RealVNC viewer ? Settings like screen also, where are they ?

Thanks but I installed it and it has not GUI or an html to setup my needs and I am not very familiar with unix enviroment... still learning
Hello world !

What I'd really really love to see ported to MIPS3 is ScummVM 0.9.0 (I think this is the latest)! I've been awaiting this for years ! BTW, a small package without the embedded games would also be more practical, but I don't want to be asking too much ! It's already a veryveryvery good job.

The Gimp and Inkscape would also be nice to use on my I2 ! PhotoShop and CorelDraw 3 are a bit rusty by today's standards ;)

BTW, does neko-mips4 work on an Indy R5000 ? I'm always a bit lost with the status of this arch wrt compatibility.

Thanks a lot to all maintainers for the work ! All of that is going to put several of my machines to a new life !
As a side note, I'd really be happy to contribute some of my unused mips3 horsepower to the compilation effort, but I have no MIPSPro license :( . If there is a way round that, just tell me...
Keyoke wrote:
Hello world !
Indy R5000 ? I'm always a bit lost with the status of this arch wrt compatibility.

Yes it runs also on r5k indys.

Quote:
Thanks a lot to all maintainers for the work ! All of that is going to put several of my machines to a new life !
As a side note, I'd really be happy to contribute some of my unused mips3 horsepower to the compilation effort, but I have no MIPSPro license :( . If there is a way round that, just tell me...

Maybe a search in google groups may help you ;)

regards
Joerg

Hello world !

What I'd really really love to see ported to MIPS3 is ScummVM 0.9.0 (I think this is the latest)! I've been awaiting this for years ! BTW, a small package without the embedded games would also be more practical, but I don't want to be asking too much ! It's already a veryveryvery good job.

I wasn't able to get ScummVM to compile using the supplied patches from the mips4 archive using MIPSpro 7.4.4/IRIX 6.5.22 so this one is a non-starter.

Quote:
The Gimp and Inkscape would also be nice to use on my I2 ! PhotoShop and CorelDraw 3 are a bit rusty by today's standards ;)

These are really, really heavy apps for mips3 machines so I've avoided touching them - they're going to be close to unusable. I did build CinePaint which uses GTK 1.x toolkit and hence quite a bit more lightweight. Personally I still think Photoshop 3 rocks :)

Quote:
BTW, does neko-mips4 work on an Indy R5000 ? I'm always a bit lost with the status of this arch wrt compatibility.

Yes, that will work fine with standard mips4 Nekoware.

Quote:

MIPSpro is a must - we need to get every ounce of performance possible on this architecture.

All Rights Reserved.
neko > well.... grmf ! too bad for ScummVM !!

I did have a look at the Gimp on the I2 (R4400 250 SI 384Mo iirc) a long time ago (can't even remember where I found it) and it was usable. Not with 700MB pictures but usable for web site imaging.

Well, I think that for the moment I'll be back on one of the R5K Indys for those apps. I don't want you to put priority on software most mips3 machines won't be able to run...

joerg > actually I already searched google... but he's not been my friend... although I've already been his the other way round a long time ago... if you don't understand those words, well.... I cant tell more here....

cheers !
Keyoke wrote:
I did have a look at the Gimp on the I2 (R4400 250 SI 384Mo iirc) a long time ago (can't even remember where I found it) and it was usable. Not with 700MB pictures but usable for web site imaging.

A long time ago GIMP didn't use GTK2 which is what kills the speed :) CinePaint is fork of the GIMP 1.x code base and hence still pretty speedy. Try that one; if your experience is from a long time ago anyway that will fit the bill.

All Rights Reserved.
yes it was like several years ago. SGI was maybe still SiliconGraphics at the time, you see :)

Yes I hate the trend to go to GTK for everything. It makes unix apps bloatware like their windows counterparts !!

But I guess I don't have the choice unless I rewrite everything...
Why do you compile Mips3 on Mips3? Aren't you supposed to be able to use cc -mips3 (or -mips1 or -mips2, or -mips4) on any architecture that supports a compiler that will compile it? (e.g. -mips3 on MIPSpro 7.3.1 on a R10k, or even -mips4 on an Onyx R4k (but you won't be able to try the binaries out there...)

Just seems that it would be a bit faster than dragging out the ol' Indigo R4k
Easier to have a clean build environment this way; won't get any stray static linked mips4 libraries in the mix. Plus I just don't have spare mips4 machines anymore; just my Fuel (which I do mips4 development on; would have all sorts of conflicts while creating a mips3 distro there) and my O300 which I'd rather not waste cycles on.

Besides, it's not the compile time that's a problem - the Indigo R4K does just fine. It's wrestling with the compile problems that the patches just don't address - I don't have much time to rediscover solutions to the same issues the original package creators also went through (and should have added in the release notes/patches!) :)

All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
Easier to have a clean build environment this way; won't get any stray static linked mips4 libraries in the mix. Plus I just don't have spare mips4 machines anymore; just my Fuel (which I do mips4 development on; would have all sorts of conflicts while creating a mips3 distro there) and my O300 which I'd rather not waste cycles on.

Besides, it's not the compile time that's a problem - the Indigo R4K does just fine. It's wrestling with the compile problems that the patches just don't address - I don't have much time to rediscover solutions to the issues the original package creators also went through (and should have added in the release notes/patches!) :)

I'm hundreed percent with you, Neko; nothing works so perfectly as just get the builds done on the same platform that you want to target... and again, I think you're 100% right: the one porting/developing can't have too much spare time to rediscover solutions to side-troubles! ;)

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop