Nekochan Net

PayPal Donation Link Added (plugin requires Prosilver theme) - Page 3

Pete do you mind me asking who you're buying your Megapath circuit from? How many IP addresses do you get with that? I assume you need at least three, one for each of the two nameservers and one for the site itself? I'm CTO for the website soyouvebeendumped.com and we've always run it out of various ISP's datacenters, and it's always been a nightmare, I'd dearly love to run it from my basement the way you've always run this happy little insane asylum... :mrgreen:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
nekonoko wrote: I won't let it go away completely no matter what - I'd definitely pass it on to you and foetz if it came to that. Thanks much!

Thanks Neko, I think we're all thankful both for the current site, and the fact that it'd also hopefully continue even in the unfortunate event of you stepping aside.

Should funds dry up in the future, let us know when the Donate button is made available again. I want a nice, purple name to match my Indigo2 :)
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
Although I haven't been active here for quite a few years, this site has a lot of information that can only be found here. I couldn't help but donate, since I still commonly find some useful posts here.
:Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :Octane: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: I'm CTO for the website soyouvebeendumped.com

seriously? :P
r-a-c.de
vishnu wrote: Pete do you mind me asking who you're buying your Megapath circuit from? How many IP addresses do you get with that? I assume you need at least three, one for each of the two nameservers and one for the site itself? I'm CTO for the website soyouvebeendumped.com and we've always run it out of various ISP's datacenters, and it's always been a nightmare, I'd dearly love to run it from my basement the way you've always run this happy little insane asylum... :mrgreen:

Dunno about Pete, but my T1 is ultimately Megapath (it's actually via DSL Extreme via COVAD). I get 16 IPs, though three are reserved including one for the T1 router. I use Netsol as the nameserver for Floodgap, though I used to run it locally. I imagine the business DSL/business Ethernet deals are similar.

That said, if I didn't have a need for home monitoring, I'd probably buy a slice and run it off of that.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
ClassicHasClass wrote: Dunno about Pete, but my T1 is ultimately Megapath (it's actually via DSL Extreme via COVAD). I get 16 IPs, though three are reserved including one for the T1 router. I use Netsol as the nameserver for Floodgap, though I used to run it locally. I imagine the business DSL/business Ethernet deals are similar.

That said, if I didn't have a need for home monitoring, I'd probably buy a slice and run it off of that.

Yep, sounds almost exactly like my setup. It used to be Speakeasy when I first got it, but Megapath bought them.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Dammit, I want to be purple too! :D

Glad you got what you needed, Pete. I guess I'll just have to pay closer attention in future...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
I'll open it up again in a few months - a grand total of $900.00 came in over two days, and I was worried PayPal would freeze the account due to the rapid payments. I'd like to see if I could put up some kind of meter in the future that would cut it off once a certain goal/threshold has been reached.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: I'll open it up again in a few months - a grand total of $900.00 came in over two days, and I was worried PayPal would freeze the account due to the rapid payments. I'd like to see if I could put up some kind of meter in the future that would cut it off once a certain goal/threshold has been reached.

It's good to know there's still people willing to keep it all going. I can't contribute myself at this point, but I just might in the future.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:
smj wrote: Dammit, I want to be purple too! :D

<aol mode> me, too ! </aol mode>

But look at it this way, sm ... we can be the green blue of the tree, against which all those purple ornaments shine so bright :P
the bourgeousie is ultimately a repressive institution, and I hate it ...
nekonoko wrote: I'll open it up again in a few months - a grand total of $900.00 came in over two days, and I was worried PayPal would freeze the account due to the rapid payments. I'd like to see if I could put up some kind of meter in the future that would cut it off once a certain goal/threshold has been reached.

Wow, that's some impressive generosity overall there once you add it all up, and in such a short space of time too!
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30
I am also somewhat gutted I missed the boat on the donating.. kept thinking.. I'll do it when I get home!! I think next time you open up the donations you may have a situation akin to the January Sales here in the UK..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
uunix wrote: ... next time you open up the donations you may have a situation akin to the January Sales here in the UK..

In that case I demand to be added to the mailing list for the advance notice "door buster" specials that US pre- during- and post-holiday sales are now littered with!
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L: - :A3502L: :1600SW: +MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun , DG AViiON , NeXT :Cube:
Out of curiosity, do you have any figures on what level of bandwidth the forum takes?
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
I doubt it's much, but I don't have any stats
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote: I doubt it's much, but I don't have any stats

hamei, you can post those videos now!
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Hu,

seems i missed out on supporting the site :( I'm not here every day, hope i don't miss it next time. I'm really glad for all the effort and work put into nekochan, without it most of my machines won't be running :)
:Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :O2: :O200: :Octane2: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx2R: :1600SW: :1600SW:
I want to donate. What's going on with this??
Nekonoko has closed the Paypal Donation action for now, since he gathered sufficient funds to maintain the site. If needed in the future he will accept donations again. Stay tuned.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
I saw the donations opened up last night and reached the goal quickly. I'm really pleased that nekochan.net forums and wiki haven't fallen into the silicon dustbin like some other SGI oriented web resources.

I hope the community continues to support the site and it's able to stay vibrant and free of ads. I wouldn't mention the ads except I was searching a forum for another community and (at least without logging in) the search feature had a video advertisement (Progressive Insurance) captcha that you had to watch to get the code to enter (and it had sound).

Thank you Peter for putting up with this unruly gang of enthusiasts. I hope we're more enjoyable than annoying.