SGI: Computer Graphics

Compiling YafRay V0.0.7 On MIPSPRO - Page 1

I keep seeing adobe photoshop (like 3 or 4) and illustrator software for IRIX on ebay... i'm wondering if these programs will run on the latest hardware like the Octane 2? Is this software 64bit or 32?
Because IRIX is designed in such a way that old apps will still run on new OSses, your chances are pretty good that it will work. I've played with illustrator on a O2 with 6.5.19 and although it was a o32 app (i think) it ran fine
dexter1 wrote:
Because IRIX is designed in such a way that old apps will still run on new OSses, your chances are pretty good that it will work. I've played with illustrator on a O2 with 6.5.19 and although it was a o32 app (i think) it ran fine

Runs on an Octane at 6.5.21, but kinda peculiar interface. Looks like an o-l-d Mac ... no, I take that back. It's pre-Mac. An Apple II maybe :-)

PhotoShop is a little newer in appearance. It runs on 6.5.21 also. I have heard of problems with the Display Postscript on the newer Irixes tho.
Illustrator will only run on IRIX up to 6.5.22 since it requires Display postscript, which SGI removed in 6.5.23.
I'm running 6.5.25. As far as I can tell all the drawing tools still work, you just can't use type :( I haven't "stress tested" it though.

*edit*

Looks like the same is true for Photoshop.

Oddly enough, FrameMaker seems unaffected.
photoshop runs with 6.5.26.
displays an error cause of the postscript issue but works fine.
just text can't be used.

I keep seeing adobe photoshop (like 3 or 4) and illustrator software for IRIX on ebay... i'm wondering if these programs will run on the latest hardware like the Octane 2? Is this software 64bit or 32?

The problem with buying these on ebay is that you won't be able to get a licence from Adobe to install these on your machine. As far as I know Adobe does not support either program on Irix anymore.

If you really want to run those you need to buy a machine with it already installed.

Maybe someone else on this list knows a contact at Adobe to get a new licence?
mefull wrote:
Thaidog wrote:

The problem with buying these on ebay is that you won't be able to get a licence from Adobe to install these on your machine. As far as I know Adobe does not support either program on Irix anymore.

If you really want to run those you need to buy a machine with it already installed.

adobe won't sell new lics.

Too bad because the application is fine, it's Photoshop allright... Now, comparing it to Photoshop 8, you notice that Photoshop8 is a bloated pig... BUT, Photoshop8 psd open fine in IRIX Photoshop 3.01 and vice versa... That is cool, backwards compatibility 5 releases back, it's pretty rare!
The redneck-O2 for instance was done on IRIX Photoshop, to the exception of the text that had to be done in 8...
unixmuseum wrote:
As sgi removed Display Postscript (WHY!?!?! Because Linux doesn't use it???), Photoshop can't deal very well with EPS and text... This SUX SUX SUX!
Too bad because the application is fine, it's Photoshop allright... Now, comparing it to Photoshop 8, you notice that Photoshop8 is a bloated pig... BUT, Photoshop8 psd open fine in IRIX Photoshop 3.01 and vice versa... That is cool, backwards compatibility 5 releases back, it's pretty rare!
The redneck-O2 for instance was done on IRIX Photoshop, to the exception of the text that had to be done in 8...

I've not tried, but... what about an independent repackaged DIsplay PostScript tardist with some kind of "rules override", or something else... :roll:

Could work to get Photoshop/Illustrator working on IRIX 6.5.22~6.5.26? :roll:

I only use GIMP, and only a few times at month, but no reason to lack support on the other side...

EDITED: ...Or it is right on the IRIX kernel, or 'Motif', or 'X', etc...? :roll:

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
Diego wrote:
I've not tried, but... what about an independent repackaged DIsplay PostScript tardist with some kind of "rules override", or something else... :roll:

I only use GIMP, and only a few times at month, but no reason to lack support on the other side...

EDITED: ...Or it is right on the IRIX kernel, or 'Motif', or 'X', etc...? :roll:

I was wondering the same thing... dps_eoe is the package, but has been removed from the latest (6.5.22 or 23 was it?) and marked incompatible... I would think there might be a way of putting it back, but I'm too chicken to try...
unixmuseum wrote:
Diego wrote:

I was wondering the same thing... dps_eoe is the package, but has been removed from the latest (6.5.22 or 23 was it?) and marked incompatible... I would think there might be a way of putting it back, but I'm too chicken to try...

If I have 5 minutes I'll give it a try, doing a new tardist to get renewed the dependencies checking on my own way! ;)

The problem could be if it has to do IPC with some other parts... :roll:

Octane / Dual Head

http://twitter.com/GeekTronixShop
There was some buzz awhile back about an IRIX-LITE being considered by some of the software guys inside SGI. The idea was to reduce the license fees SGI has to pay anually and per-copy of IRIX. (Not everyone needs BRU, DPS, etc, etc). This would also help reduce the price of IRIX.

Apparently the IRIX-LITE project was never finished, but some of the cost saving measures were indeed rolled into IRIX. (No more Postscript support, new/diferent fonts...)

License issues are a big mess for a long-running piece of software, especially when the licensor wants to increase the fees. The same sort of thing is holding back a few games that are being ported to Mac OS X... GameSpy is used in many existing PC games for game server tracking, but the parent company has just increased the Mac SDK and licenese fees exponentially.
foetz wrote:
mefull wrote:
Thaidog wrote:

adobe won't sell new lics.

So they don't just have serial number installers like the mac and pc versions?
Thaidog wrote:
So they don't just have serial number installers like the mac and pc versions?

Because Adobe doesn't WANT you to have it. They want to make you buy a new Windows peecee and buy their latest PhotoShop and Illustrator CS.

Since neither one is really much better than version 3, the only method they have to make you do that is force. Hence, no licenses.

Google is your friend. If they refuse to license or sell that product then it's pretty damned hard to prove any damages. And 'piracy' is a civil affair, not a criminal one. If they won't even accept your money then I fail to see how anyone has even a moral obligation to avoid using that particular software.
...mmmhhh
Anyone has completed succesfully the build of YafRay V0.0.7 on IRIX? ...I got the package already compiled, but on the 'make install' phase I get:

Code: Select all

make install
Making install in src
Making install in yafraycore
/bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /usr/local/lib
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=install /usr/freeware/bin/install -c  libyafraycore.la /usr/local/lib/libyafraycore.la
/usr/freeware/bin/install -c .libs/libyafraycore /usr/local/lib/libyafraycore
/usr/freeware/bin/install -c .libs/libyafraycore.lai /usr/local/lib/libyafraycore.la
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Libraries have been installed in:
/usr/local/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
- add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH' environment variable
during execution
- use the `-Wl,-rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Making install in lights
/bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /usr/local/lib/yafray
/bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=install /usr/freeware/bin/install -c  libpathlight.la /usr/local/lib/yafray/libpathlight.la
libtool: install: warning: relinking `libpathlight.la'
(cd /WareRoot/YafRay-0.07/YafRay/yafray-0.0.7/src/lights; /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=relink g++ -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -Wall -D_PTHREADS -I../yafraycore -g -O2 -o libpathlight.la -rpath /usr/local/lib/yafray -no-undefined -module -export-dynamic -avoid-version pathlight.lo pathtools.lo ../yafraycore/libyafraycore.la )
g++ -shared -nostdlib /usr/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.3/crtbegin.o  .libs/pathlight.o .libs/pathtools.o  -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lyafraycore -L/usr/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.3 -L/usr/bin -L/usr/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.3/../../.. -lstdc++ -lm -L/usr/lib32/mips3 -L/usr/lib32 -lgcc /usr/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.5/3.3/crtend.o  -Wl,-soname -Wl,libpathlight `test -n "" && echo -Wl,-set_version -Wl,` -Wl,-update_registry -Wl,.libs/so_locations -o .libs/libpathlight
ld32: FATAL   9  : I/O error (-lyafraycore): No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 32 exit status
libtool: install: error: relink `libpathlight.la' with the above command before installing it
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
*** Error code 1 (bu21)
last time i compiled yafray was with 0.0.6 and gcc 3.3 on MIPS. yes the performance was pretty poor. yes the binay was huge. yes the experience was digusting. but it did work. sometimes that's all the counts anymore. too bad. I would have too say that this source (at the time) relied on too many GNU-ism's like libtool to make it worth using a different compiler.
skywriter wrote: last time i compiled yafray was with 0.0.6 and gcc 3.3 on MIPS. yes the performance was pretty poor. yes the binay was huge. yes the experience was digusting. but it did work. sometimes that's all the counts anymore. too bad. I would have too say that this source (at the time) relied on too many GNU-ism's like libtool to make it worth using a different compiler.

Hello Ben;

it compiles fine, even with MIPSPRO; is on the install process where it fails. Anyway I've rescued manually all the decisory files, to arrange those on the classic YafRay dir structure, as follows:

cd usr/local
ls
bin  etc  lib

cd bin
ls
lt-yafray  yafray

cd ..
cd etc
ls
gram.yafray

cd ..
cd lib
ls
libyafraycore       libyafrayplugin     yafray
libyafraycore.la    libyafrayplugin.la

cd yafray
ls
libarealight          libhemilight          libsoftlight
libbasicblocks        libmixblocks          libspherelight
libbasicshaders       libpathlight          libspotlight
libblendershader      libphotonlight        libsunlight
libglobalphotonlight  libpointlight         libsunsky
libhdri               libshaderback

And an 'ldd' shows that it is linked as follows:

ldd yafray
libyafraycore  => /usr/local/lib/libyafraycore
libz.so  => /usr/lib32/libz.so
libpthread.so  => /usr/lib32/libpthread.so
libdl.so  => /usr/lib32/libdl.so
libm.so  => /usr/lib32/libm.so
libc.so.1  => /usr/lib32/libc.so.1

...But on execution complains with:

./yafray
2853:./yafray: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/local/lib/libyafraycore: _ZN6yafray9context_tC1Ev
2853:./yafray: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/local/lib/libyafraycore: _ZN6yafray9context_tD1Ev
2853:./yafray: rld: Fatal Error: this executable has unresolvable symbols
weird.... but free!
skywriter wrote: weird.... but free!

heheh! :lol:
...Seems that the only way to debug it is doing a trace for those unresolvable symbols ( _ZN6yafray9context_tC1Ev ... _ZN6yafray9context_tD1Ev ) but I have not too much time by now, and this build is only strictly fro my spare time! ;)