SGI: Computer Graphics

Compiling YafRay V0.0.7 On MIPSPRO - Page 4

squeen wrote:
Paul Graham wrote: Historically, languages designed for other people to use have been bad: Cobol, PL/I, Pascal, Ada, C++. The good languages have been those that were designed for their own creators: C, Perl, Smalltalk, Lisp.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. As you can guess, this has been on my mind a bit. Good gravy, I'm a dinosaur. :(

welcome to the club (wonder which list APL (my favorite) is on) :)

hardware examples:
Bad: VHDL
Good: Verilog
skywriter wrote: i can't even visit the site to download it. which means yafray is inaccessible to me at work.

Actually the official YafRay site has direct downloads - it's only Blender.org that seems to want to link to Bittorrent files instead.

http://www.yafray.org/index.php?s=2

Edit: Looks like Blender.org removed the Bittorrent links and now just links to YafRay.org ...
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
nekonoko wrote:
skywriter wrote: i can't even visit the site to download it. which means yafray is inaccessible to me at work.

Actually the official YafRay site has direct downloads - it's only Blender.org that seems to want to link to Bittorrent files instead.

http://www.yafray.org/index.php?s=2

Edit: Looks like Blender.org removed the Bittorrent links and now just links to YafRay.org ...

sheesh! what a labyrith the web has become...
skywriter wrote: welcome to the club

Here's one more:
Grocho Marx wrote: I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
squeen wrote: Are you saying the problem was supposed to be fixed in 7.4.x but was not? Or is it some sort of unintentional linking particular to the YafRay make?

The problem apparently wasn't fixed in 7.4.x because the static library libCio_pthreads.a is still being shipped with the devlib.
And linking this static with Yafray doesn't fall out of the sky, i had to learn scons for that :) But now i've sorta bluffed my way through it, i could even do -IPA builds and add -lfastm to the mix

Anyway neko_yafray-0.0.8.tardist is out, get it and test it :)
Much closer.

Fonts:

http://home.earthlink.net/~us5zahns/enl/ansifont.html

Downloaded the fonts, downloaded and compiled rxvt. I execute it from a xwsh winterm via:

Code:
rxvt -fn vga -tn vt100 -fg white -bg black -display localhost:0.0

If I run the ansi program on one of the provided ansi files it looks great. When I start up the application it looks bad, but different than before (perhaps it is just a really bad splash screen?).

The major problem now is that the function keys (F1, F2, F3, etc.) don't work in the rxvt terminal duhdraw. Anyone know if this is a setting I can modify? Would I have better luck with aterm?
dexter1 wrote:
squeen wrote: Are you saying the problem was supposed to be fixed in 7.4.x but was not? Or is it some sort of unintentional linking particular to the YafRay make?

The problem apparently wasn't fixed in 7.4.x because the static library libCio_pthreads.a is still being shipped with the devlib.
And linking this static with Yafray doesn't fall out of the sky, i had to learn scons for that :) But now i've sorta bluffed my way through it, i could even do -IPA builds and add -lfastm to the mix

Anyway neko_yafray-0.0.8.tardist is out, get it and test it :)

I installed it this evening. As soon as it starts to render under blender, blender dumps.

Any special instructins with this dist?

-k
kinaed wrote: I installed it this evening. As soon as it starts to render under blender, blender dumps.

Not that i know of. Does the big.xml file render correctly? Which blender version are you using? What error message do you get? I haven't tested this Yafray build with Blender, since i never used Blender before.
Could be that the libyafrayplugin.so and blender doesn't like eachother.
dexter1 wrote:
kinaed wrote: I installed it this evening. As soon as it starts to render under blender, blender dumps.

Not that i know of. Does the big.xml file render correctly? Which blender version are you using? What error message do you get? I haven't tested this Yafray build with Blender, since i never used Blender before.
Could be that the libyafrayplugin.so and blender doesn't like eachother.

I am using Blender 2.37a. If I run blender in debug mode, the only message I see at the console is :
Starting scene conversion.
Scene conversion done.
Loading plugins ...
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

No rendering is accomplished via the plugin method.

If I toggle the XML button, the render completes, but without any real-time feedback to the render window.

So, the problem is definately with the plugin, and not yafray itself (if I understand the releationship between the plugin and the executable correctly).

-k
kinaed wrote: I am using Blender 2.37a. If I run blender in debug mode, the only message I see at the console is :
Scene conversion done.
Loading plugins ...

Looks like the classic -D_PTHREADS ostreambuf bug. Those damn Yafray developers use -D_PTHREADS everywhere, even on places where it is definately not needed, which means i have to stub -lCio_pthreads all over the place. *Sigh*
I'll get on it and tomorrow (europe) i'll have that version ready.
dexter1 wrote:
kinaed wrote: I am using Blender 2.37a. If I run blender in debug mode, the only message I see at the console is :
Scene conversion done.
Loading plugins ...

Looks like the classic -D_PTHREADS ostreambuf bug. Those damn Yafray developers use -D_PTHREADS everywhere, even on places where it is definately not needed, which means i have to stub -lCio_pthreads all over the place. *Sigh*
I'll get on it and tomorrow (europe) i'll have that version ready.

Cool!

If you would like me to test it before you post it, let me know.

-k
Here are my times - sorry about the mixed format

Code: Select all

time yafray big.xml
Onyx350 R16K@1GHz
real 297.993
user 295.881
sys  0.554

354.180u 0.218s 5:56.34 99.4% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

time yafray -c 2 big.xml
Onyx350 R16K@1GHz
367.348u 0.863s 3:26.11 178.6% 0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w
Done: neko_yafray-0.0.8.tardist the 3rd

I have reverted back to the compile without the -D_PTHREADS -lCio_pthreads, since the blender binary needs those, because the libCio_pthreads.a can only be applied on executables and not DSO's, and i can't and won't be bothered to endeavour that :) Besides, it doesn't look like there's a big speed impact anyway so i went ahead and packaged it.

Oh and bad-assed blender only looks for yafray in /usr/local/lib :roll: so the tardist makes symbolic links. I know, UglyMutha, but it now works both standalone and as plugin.

Do

setenv PYTHONHOME /usr/nekoware/lib
setenv PYTHONPATH /usr/nekoware/lib/python2.3

before starting blender, otherwise it can't find the plugin

And now i'd reeeeealy like a different project now 8) I've seen too many glassobjects with blue cubes....
dexter1 wrote: And now i'd reeeeealy like a different project now 8) I've seen too many glassobjects with blue cubes....

hehe! how about smalltalk? or oberon!
dexter1 wrote: Done: neko_yafray-0.0.8.tardist the 3rd

I have reverted back to the compile without the -D_PTHREADS -lCio_pthreads, since the blender binary needs those, because the libCio_pthreads.a can only be applied on executables and not DSO's, and i can't and won't be bothered to endeavour that :) Besides, it doesn't look like there's a big speed impact anyway so i went ahead and packaged it.

Oh and bad-assed blender only looks for yafray in /usr/local/lib :roll: so the tardist makes symbolic links. I know, UglyMutha, but it now works both standalone and as plugin.

Do

setenv PYTHONHOME /usr/nekoware/lib
setenv PYTHONPATH /usr/nekoware/lib/python2.3

before starting blender, otherwise it can't find the plugin

And now i'd reeeeealy like a different project now 8) I've seen too many glassobjects with blue cubes....

And it works great!

The glass object and blue cube have never looked better through the plugin.

-k