Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks

Starting with 3D Modeling (Softimage|3D, Maya, Blender) - Page 1

I thought, if I already own a SGI, I should try to learn 3D modeling.
So I got Softimage 4.0, Maya 6.5 and Blender 2.48 up and running...any suggestions how to start or find good tutorials?
I've already gotten slightly accustomed to Blender, Maya is also logical in some parts and Softimage is...tiresome IMO.
That said, up to now I've just messed around with some objects (I'm also not a very good drawer, but I'll manage) but I noticed that in Maya and Blender there are way more shortcuts than in Softimage, where everything is just clicking buttons...or am I doing something wrong?

I'm thankful for any suggestions how to learn the basics of modeling and some help with the programs in general.

HP 2133 <- Nel
I'm in just about the same spot now. I have Maya 6.5 and blender working, and I've started to work and learn the ins and outs of each.
Many years ago, I did a lot of modeling in older maya and softimage, but I'm a bit rusty.

I find maya is a much more intuitive, professional feeling product, and thus the work flow is nice. Blender is almost as capable, and some would argue the
interface is actually more powerful once you know what your doing.

With maya, it included a huge directory of docs, and a html server that runs on the local machine and serves the docs up. So I've just been working
through the included documentation, learning the specifics and capabilities of the interface/tools. The basics are all the same between programs.
With a firm foundation of how the modeling works, its just as simple as learning the interface and functions.

As for blender, there are a lot of step by step tutorials available online. I did a bit of work with this wheel building tutorial, so I could catch the basics of the
interface. Now that I have maya though, I've given up on blender for now heh.

hope that helps a little!
You're probably better off sticking with Maya, since it's the most capable of the apps you mentioned, and your Maya skills will carry over into the "real world" if you want to seek a job in 3D.

Softimage was a great package in its day, and it does have a good number of keyboard shortcuts (I think they're called "Supra keys"), like holding down "o" and dragging in a viewport orbits the camera, and holding down "p" and dragging dollies in and out. You just have to get to know the program. If you'd like a convenient introduction to Softimage|3D, check out this page . But Maya definitely has more built-in functionality, like particle systems and cloth simulation.

Blender is just a jumbled mess, and if you've already got Maya there's no reason to spend any time on it.
blender has a huge learning curve that the developers have a 'cult of denial' in place to prevent the smallest possibility that it will ever change for the better. to their credit; the UI, once mastered, compensates the toiler with increased productivity. assuming that is a benefit, then blender can be worth learning.

I once learned enough blender commands to feel somewhat self congratulatory at one point. but it's the kind of feeling one gets on having arrived at the first of many one peaks one encounters climbing any mountain worth noting.

if you have anything approaching a professional interest in 3d animation et. al. then footing the bill for an investment in professional software should not be an obstacle. i don't believe there is a great enough number of homeless 3d animators out there that the cost of suitable software should be more than a superficial argument.

as always, you get what you pay for, and in the case of blender you get a lot for the initial outlay, but it will more than make itself a burden with the cost of learning this quirky and much loved program.

if you're just noodling around, which a vast number of interested people certainly are doing, then give it as much time as you think worthy. however, quit while you're ahead. don't bow to the peer pressure of 'zero cost bigots' . and insist on recognizing the opportunity costs of time invested in even the cheapest of alternatives.

They do seem to be making some strides in that direction recently; the interface has been re-factored quite a bit in the new alphas:

All Rights Reserved.
Problem is 2.5 not yet ported to irix.

While ago, I had to do CAD modeling and I started with Pro/Engineer and the learning curve was really fast. I wish I could get it for my O2...

that career path? How does one get into the field?

thanks
Too bad you don't have Houdini (or a license for it rather), before SESI dropped IRIX platform support one could generate “Apprentice” (fully functional, non-commercial) licenses for version 5.5 and above. Houdini is my favourite 3D animation software, particularly for IRIX (it were always very stable versions, if not the most of the supported platforms).

I got started by teaching myself 3D Studio on the PC back in the 90's, then spent a year creating a 3D animated short film. The film won some awards at festivals and was my ticket to jobs in Los Angeles - I worked in TV and video games for a few years, then transitioned to movies.

Basically, it comes down to getting the software, teaching yourself 3D, creating enough good work to produce a demo reel, and applying to as many jobs as you can. You might want to focus on one particular skill, like modeling or animating, since large studios tend to look for people who are strong in one or two areas. Working at a big studio feels very much like being on a "movie assembly line" - they don't need generalists, they need experts in particular tasks. A quick check of the job listings with studios in your area will tell you what skills are in demand.
nekonoko wrote:
skywriter wrote:
blender has a huge learning curve that the developers have a 'cult of denial' in place to prevent the smallest possibility that it will ever change for the better.

They do seem to be making some strides in that direction recently; the interface has been re-factored quite a bit in the new alphas:

so, i looked at 2.5 (on windows), and honestly it didn't seem to be anything more than just another rearrangement of "buttons panels", to use the technical term. maybe that's considered progressive these days.

In a world run by MBA's ? Yes.

Pilot, if you want to work in 3d and don't mind having actual constraints on your imagination, there's always CAD work. Mechanical design is not such a bad career for the lower classes.
Quote:
Mechanical design is not such a bad career for the lower classes.

Haha, not sure how to take that one. Are you implying "lower" because its not being
an "MBA"? Definitely how our society looks at it!
get to know the whole picture. whatever the software, you'll be working with the basics (light & volume). learning methods vary according to each ones abilities but nothing that a decent amount of faith + dedication can't fix.

ajerimez wrote:
"movie assembly line" - they don't need generalists, they need experts in particular tasks...

this is the 1st step and is relatively simple. at this point you'll be merely working under someone else's directions. yes, you gotta know the tool inside-out so that you can push buttons really fast.

from there on -and if you're thinking of creating things yourself- you should hit a pause on which software(s) to get accustomed to and start studying art.

forget all easy/magic chewing gums, moviemaking is a collaborative process. art and craft cannot be replaced by buttons.

sky's first post in this thread is pure quality. hamei's suggestion for a CAD career path will get you much more sane working hours/shifts.

(aj, i thought that you were studying law or something?)
pilot345 wrote:
Are you implying "lower" because its not being an "MBA"? Definitely how our society looks at it!

You gottit. Until people in the US grow up and quit playing Yuppie, there's not much future for people who actually produce things of value. We got rhythm, tho.
Biggest difference in doing traditional 3d-modelling and CAD work is, that in CAD you have to have some knowledge how things really work, as the things you are doing also have to work in real life. Where as in 3d-modelling you are only creating an illusion of something working. I would also claim that CAD-design work needs a proper education, while the 3d-modelling stuff can be learned by just doing the stuff.

While I agree, that it is good to focus in one area of work, I also believe that it is good to start as generalist. That way you know more about the whole work process and in general are much easier person to work with.
fu wrote:
(aj, i thought that you were studying law or something?)

Yes, I just graduated from law school and am now cramming for the New York bar exam.

But in a previous life I was a computer animator at Activision, Rhythm & Hues, and Sony Imageworks. In general, the larger the studio, the less creative control any individual artist will have. My most satisfying experiences were on games rather than movies or TV, and larger studios don't necessarily pay more than small studios.
ajerimez wrote:
Yes, I just graduated from law school and am now cramming for the New York bar exam..

Ah, Law. The last resort of the desperate scoundrel ! At least you didn't go for an MBA.

Congratulations on passing, btw. Next time I take an ambulance ride I'll keep an eye out for ya :P
Others have mentioned having a solid demo reel, but really it is the KEY to finding good 3D work. Go to imdb.com and look at the credits; all the 3D content creators have websites, which you can find by googling their names, where you can view their demos and samples of their work in the industry. For example Heather McAuliff has things from her work on Battlestar Galactica that never made it on the air:

http://www.heatherrmcauliff.com/

I would also agree that there's no point learning Blender if you want to go pro. Maya is where it's at... 8-)
vishnu wrote:

I would also agree that there's no point learning Blender if you want to go pro. Maya is where it's at... 8-)

Right on! I still use Maya 6.5 under IRIX on my well matured Onyx2s
Last version i have is 2008, not willing to move on until I've done some serious work.

Anyhow.. a draft test render from my last Sgi Maya project.

:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000