Everything Else

Alcohol Preferences - Page 3

ah alcohol.
Since i had nothing to say about 'non-computer related hobbies' i will try it here. ;)

I don't like beer very much. I shouldn't say that because i'm from bavaria and beer is a staple food by law here... :roll:
But Guiness is ok for me. I drink some sort from regional brewerys, too. And sometimes even an 'Augustiner'.

Most of the time i drink cocktails, wine, liqeur and 'other stuff'. :D
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if PacMan affected
us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching
pills and listening to repetitive music!
Beer:
Leffe
Trappist (actually not a brand but a type of beer)

Whiskey:
Grants
Chivas Regal

Wine:
Blue Nun

Rum:
Bacardi Limon

Snaps:
Norwegian Aquavit

Cognac:
Xanté

Brandy:
Napoleon

Grogg:
Bacardi Limon + Coke
1 part Pastis + 5 parts water (really special kind of booze)
Nihilus wrote: Beer:
Trappist (actually not a brand but a type of beer)

you mean the strong one :D

i am shocked, a swede who didnt mention ABSOLUT VODKA!
how can you not mention the "nordic honey" that is Absolut?
i think other than Volvo and Scania it's your country's main export. :P
Intel-OUTSIDE wrote:
i am shocked, a swede who didnt mention ABSOLUT VODKA!
how can you not mention the "nordic honey" that is Absolut?

Maybe he's on a diet :lol: :P
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better"
NO ALCOHOL, thank you.
Thomas W. wrote: .

Could you do something about that avatar please ? Every time I see one of your posts I lose a half hour of productivity, just oogling and ... dreamin', I'm always dreamin' ...........
hamei wrote: ...just oogling and ... dreamin', I'm always dreamin' ...........

I know :lol: :wink:
definately Long Island Iced Teas....with a pinch of Tequila. Otherwise, just give me vodka intraveniously. :lol:
...a well-blended Mojito ...!
Highland Park, Macallan, Cragganmore...
Stolnichaya Elite...
Brunello, Barolo, Rioja...

:D

/oskar
Curious: the first recorded successful pregnancy brought forth a murderer...
Ahoy!

Lager, Guinness and Jack Daniels for me.

Too much alcohol these days, but, its probably linux related...
Gin & tonic == magic. :wink:
while (!asleep()) sheep++;
An alcohol thread I have yet to post on? egads time to remedy that problem :D

praetorius wrote: Otherwise, just give me vodka intraveniously. :lol:

I think I would have to agree about the vodka. I find a bottle of Stolichnaya or Finlandia always does the trick, Grey Goose and Belve are waaaaay overated and overpriced.

Stolichnaya that has been sitting in the freezer for a few hours with a Labatt Blue (god bless Canadian beer) chaser will put some hair on your chest. Finlandia goes down smooth when mixed with Squirt, "tastes like... victory" is the only way I can describe it.

fu wrote: ...a well-blended Mojito ...!

"This guy knew his stuff. Made me a Mojito. I don't think its a gay drink. Mojito..."
fatal_error wrote: Too much alcohol these days, but, its probably linux related...

Yes, I can relate to that - waiting for compilation runs even in IRIX to finish makes thirsty... :wink:

/oskar
Curious: the first recorded successful pregnancy brought forth a murderer...
VenomousPinecone wrote:
fu wrote: ...a well-blended Mojito ...!

"This guy knew his stuff. Made me a Mojito. I don't think its a gay drink. Mojito..."

LOL

nowaitaminute, where's that quote from? SouthPark or Family Guy?

[hysteria cuased by guerilla warfare on semiotics]
fu wrote: nowaitaminute, where's that quote from? SouthPark or Family Guy?

Family Guy, the "Brian the Bachelor" episode, the one that makes light of reality teevee shows.

Speaking of semiotics, ever read Pattern Recognition by Gibson?
VenomousPinecone wrote: ...Family Guy, the "Brian the Bachelor" episode, the one that makes light of reality teevee shows.

damn right!

visual memory gap: fixed

VenomousPinecone wrote: Speaking of semiotics, ever read Pattern Recognition by Gibson?

yup! like a month ago, i used to enjoy Gibson's prose, though i'm not sure about his latest works...

if u ever wanna dig in semiotics, i reckon j. baudrillard's works published in the states by semiotext(e)

boy this is an alcohol thread:::>second favourite is vodka with a twist:

Cosmopolitan Classic
fu wrote: yup! like a month ago, i used to enjoy Gibson's prose, though i'm not sure about his latest works...

if u ever wanna dig in semiotics, i reckon j. baudrillard's works published in the states by semiotext(e)

Hah! now I am curious, which of his latest work did you not enjoy? Idoru? ATP?

I think I will check out the Badrillard fellows work when I take some time off from work.

Speaking of alcohol.... anyone ever had a JaegerBomber? Its RedBull and Jaegermeister, tastes like cold, nasty cough syrup but the effect is delightful.
more info on gibson and semiotics please!

Anyway, back to getting plastered:
Beer:
Stella, Guinness, Samuel Adams winter packs, Blue Moon

Wine:
The really good cheap stuff from australia. Can't beat the reds.

Liquor:
A good Gin & Tonic is hard to beat. Bombay Sapphire or Hendrick's(damn good, and not too expensive)
Used to be a fan of the Jaeger, until too many bad episodes cause instant gagging(!)
And my new fave: Absinthe. Yeah, really. And the good stuff, most stuff out there is crap. For an interesting and (somewhat) educated discussion of this stuff: http://www.wormwoodsociety.org is the nekochan of absintheurs.
The Jade's are pretty good, planning on picking up a bottle of the Eduoard over new year's.

merry times!
Ninety-nine percent of who you are is invisible and untouchable.
-R. Buckminster Fuller
epitaxial bandgap wrote: And my new fave: Absinthe. Yeah, really. And the good stuff, most stuff out there is crap. For an interesting and (somewhat) educated discussion of this stuff: http://www.wormwoodsociety.org is the nekochan of absintheurs.
The Jade's are pretty good, planning on picking up a bottle of the Eduoard over new year's.

merry times!

Nice link, the FAQ is very enlightening!

I guess the most important thing any American could ask after reading the FAQ is... "Is it legal in Canada?" :D

]more info on gibson and semiotics please!

American born author, who now lives in Canada. Father of Cyberpunk and the coiner of many a phrase, including "cyberspace". Most of the books he has written are bleak, semi-future, and very dystopian. Lots of archetypal anti-heroes (not a bad thing) and interesting plot twists.

Start with Neuromancer (his first book) and steadily work your way to Pattern Recognition, his latest book. I am currently re-reading PR which deals heavily in semiotics, in particular social commentary on viral marketing and brand saturation in a consumer driven world.

Dropping this into google returns a better defintion than I can come up with, in particular the second definition listed applies heavily to PR.

Code: Select all

define:semiotics

The quick and dirty is: the study of signs and symbols, what they mean and how they are used.

think Dan Brown....