Everything Else

Music? - Page 1

We have 3000+ members and therefore 3000+ different tastes when it comes to music. Here is a list of some of my current favourites [in no particular order, though] Please state yours!

- Dire Straits, Private Investigations
- Jim Reid, The Wild Geese/Norland Wind
- Papermoon, Dancing Again
- Richard Harris, Mac Arthur Park
- Randy Crawford, One Day I'll Fly Away
- Flimm & the BBs, Tricycle
- Maire Brennan, The Days of the Dancing
- Luke Kelly, The Sun is Burning [the perfect song for all of you who believe in 21/12/2012]
- Maria Bethania, Eu preciso de voce
- Constance Demby, Novus Magnificat
- Robin Laing, More than just a dram [from one of best albums I know, "The Angels' Share"]
- David Carradine, Around

• The Crimson Jazz Trio: King Crimson Songbook, Vols 1 & 2 (A former King Crimson drummer, Ian Wallace, deftly adapts King Crimson music to the jazz trio format. Surprisingly effective.)
  • Rush: Caravan/BU2B/Headlong Flight (Pre-album release singles from the heavy prog trio's upcoming "Clockwork Angels" disc.)
  • Susan McKeown: The River (my favorite Irish singer)
  • Idil Biret: Liszt's arrangements of Beethoven's symphonies for piano. Really great, if you like that sort of thing.
  • Bonnie Raitt: Slipstream (Her latest album is arguably her best. The cover of Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down the Line" is worth the price of admission by itself.)
  • Various recordings/transcriptions of Bach's BWV 1060. When I was a kid, the violin/oboe arrangement of this piece is what first turned me on to Bach. It still resonates.
  • Ensemble Organum: Chant Corse (Corsican liturgical music. Fascinatingly idiosyncratic.)
  • Garbage: Not Your Kind of People (New album, but reminds me of younger days.)
  • Duran Duran: Rio. (Don't judge.)
  • Cheap Trick: Rockford (I saw these guys play not too long ago, and I was surprised at the vitality of their newer stuff.)
  • Birdy: Supernominal Paraphernalia (Local power pop/guitar band from NYC area, never made it big, but influenced a bunch of folks. This is what a lot of clubs in NYC and Hoboken sounded like in the late 90s. Now defunct.)
  • Foo Fighters: Wasting Light (Heavy. Talented.)
  • Striggio's Mass in 40 Parts, with Hollingworth conducting.

I'm also looking for a good recording of Fauré's Requiem. I have the Montreal Symphony version with Te Kanawa, and I'm familiar with the Shaw and Rutter recordings, but I'm looking for something else. I recently heard a snippet of a recording that used a fairly small choir and sparse instrumentation, with a boy singing the soprano solo, rather than a female soprano. It was sublime, but I missed the recording credits.
I guess people will find it weird to find different types in the list, but what the heck :) Also in no particular order.

- Arch Enemy - Tyrants of the Rising Sun. Brilliant live set of one of the best death metal bands around now.
    - Portishead - Roseland NYC Live. Beth Gibbons is a goddess...
    - Pink Floyd - Echoes. Got my dad to blame for this one... :)
    - Obituary - Dead. Best. Show. Ever. I'd give my left testicle to have been there. :D
    - Vivaldi - Four Seasons, with Nigel Kennedy on solo violin.
    - Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale. If you're into (very) dark (very) psychedelic (very) heavy doom metal, check them out.
    - Massive Attack vs. The Mad Professor - No Protection.
    - Giacinto Scelsi - Uaxuctum! The version by the Kraków Radio-Television Orchestra, with Jürg Wyttenbach conducting. For those who love "modern" classical music... this is a masterpiece :)
    - Ministry - Psalm 69.

But there's so many more... :)

Screen shot 2012-05-27 at 5.18.47 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-05-27 at 5.18.47 PM.png [ 290.6 KiB | Viewed 1707 times ]

which I suppose is fairly accurate, but it doesn't count vinyl of course, and I have an old ipod mini which only holds a few albums which I throw on and change out randomly when the album starts to get stale. *edit: turns out itunes doesn't count ipod plays like my zune used to.

I also tend to listen to albums in their entirety.

I also recently discovered pandora. So far I've started it with kraftwerk, madeon, alan parsons project, and the beatles, and always get enjoyable results.

Anybody else still listen to a real radio? Mainly I listen to 91.7 WVXU, but also 92.9 WGTZ for music, or 97.7 WOXY for dancing music :)

-Metallica - Load & Reload (Yeah probably the most hated albums, but my favorite of Metallicas, Outlaw Torn is amazing)
    -Bear McCreary - Battlestar Galactica Season 2-4 Scores (Can't wait for the Walking Dead score)
    -Mark Snow - X-files Volume 1 Score (Can't wait for Volume 2)
    -Cliff Eidelman - Star Trek VI Score (Don't be put off by Star Trek being in the title, it's very un-Star Trek)
    -Sonic Mayhem - Quake II score (Great programming getting in the zone music)
    -Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses
    -Nine Inch Nails - Still
    -Megadeth - Th1rteen & The World Needs A Hero

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 :O3x0: 2x700mhz R16k/4GB
josehill wrote:
There are a handful of recordings that have been getting disproportionate play recently at Josehill Headquarters:

• The Crimson Jazz Trio: King Crimson Songbook, Vols 1 & 2 (A former King Crimson drummer, Ian Wallace, deftly adapts King Crimson music to the jazz trio format. Surprisingly effective.)

Really ? Wow. Detachable Penis is one of my favorite songs .....
hamei wrote:
Really ? Wow. Detachable Penis is one of my favorite songs .....

Umm...naturally? :lol:
This is what has been tickling my fancy lately~

Code:
Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears: Scandalous. Ballad of Jimmy Tanks (Saw them at Austin City Limits live)
Che: Sounds of Liberation. The Knife
Earth: The Bees Made Honey In the Lion's Skull. Miami Morning Coming Down II (Shine) (When I just want to listen to nothing)
Earth: Hibernaculum. Ouroboros is Broken (Another that's been burning out the platter in my hd)
Zero 7: When It Falls. When It Falls (Sia Furler has such a soothing voice)
Soundgarden: Superunknown. Spoonman (Ahh memories from my youth. Saw them live)
Type O Negative: Dead Again. Hail and Farewell to Britain (Another band that has a special place in my heart. RIP Pete Steele)
Jesu: Silver. Wolves
Mad Season: Above. River of Deceit
Massive Attack Vs. Mad Professor: No Protection. Radiation Ruling The Nation (Always appreciate a Massive Fan -> Alver)
Nine Inch Nails: With Teeth. Everyday is Exactly the Same
Pelican: What We All Come To Need: Strung Up from the Sky

He threw my best sharkskin suit out once. Right in a pile of dog waste ... :(
BWV 988 (Goldberg Variations) - performed by GLENN GOULD (both 1955 and 1981)
BWV 1080 (Die Kunst der Fuge)
Sitting in a room.....thinkin' shit up. :evil:

:O2: 400MHz R12k - :320: Dual 550MHz PIII - Apple G4 Cube dual 500MHz/GF6200 - Newton Messagepad 2100 - Apple PowerBook 2400c/G3@240 - DECstation5000/133 - Apple Workgroup Server 9150/120 G3@280 - Apple Macintosh IIfx - Apple Macintosh Color Classic (Mystic upgrade) - Sun Cobalt Cube 3 - Tadpole RDI UltraBook IIi - Digital HiNote Ultra II - HP 200LX
Martin Steen wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQdYokbp4E

Yes, I know they are posers.

Actually, ELP's "Pictures at an exhibition" [on the MFSL label; original recorded live on March 26, 1971 at Newcastle City Hall] is not so bad. In fact, MFSL had some of the best sounding vinyls there were [I have about 40 of them].
About 40% of Americans deny evolution. Sad.
From the sublime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmgAjkxq4Gc (Danny Gatton "Sleepwalk"). :mrgreen:

To the ridiculous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmgjiUTFs3w (Teisco Del Rey, "King of the Guitorgan"). :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
I really like these guys, I have both of their albums... witty lyrics* and laid back guitar on the upbeat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4RMnOdM ... e=youtu.be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monks_(UK_band )

vishnu wrote: From the sublime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmgAjkxq4Gc
wrong sublime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTCyZvb2Uzw

*e.g. "nice legs, shame about her face", et al
You eat Cadillacs; Lincolns too... Mercurys and Subarus.
Joe King Carrasco the Crowns.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
way exhausted these days, when i get back home i only want to hear either the "köln concert" or "jasmine" by jarret/haden.

Oskar45 wrote: - Maria Bethania, Eu preciso de voce

"en la fusa" vinicius de moraes con maria crueza, maria bethania y tomatito

PymbleSoftware wrote: Dick Dale and the Del Tones. "Misuru".

hamei sends me some crazy rock'n'roll and i get a 5min dream of being on vacation, surf's up

tux wrote: Louis Armstrong - Mack The Knife (Theme From Three Penny Opera)

unbeatable, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got...

tux wrote: Villa-Lobos - Bachiana brasileira #5 - Aria (Cantilena)

wish i had seen him conducting 30,000 kids in a stadium
fu wrote: "köln concert"

Sure. Was there in January '75. One of the greatest concerts I've ever attended [part1/ second half is simply gorgeous]. Have it on my iPod for listening on the road. Like his solo stuff more than others, though - his Scala concert was a bit of a let-down, however...
fu wrote: "jasmine"

Despite "I'm gonna laugh you right out of my life", the perfect love-making background. Also, his "The Melody At Night, With You" is rather suitable as well :-)
Oskar45 wrote: Sure. Was there in January '75.

ah! lucky you. i'm happy to discover a melody built with 5 notes, jarret creates a whole universe out of 5 notes :) . i prefer his american quartet and most of his solo works.

Oskar45 wrote: the perfect love-making background.

that's what jarret says/writes about it. the blissfull part in my case right now is that these 2 works make up the only thing that untrips me these days. i'm working on a difficult performance in an ancient theatre and i have to finalcut the score/soundtrack soon.

syb, check out karen, the girl next library

smj, i think you're gonna dig the bad plus

sky, cooked any grooves out of your studio?
I was hesitant to put anything along this thread because I hear so many music styles that I would not where start...

...anyway, and I don't know if anyone else mentioned the band along this thread, but when you talk about vintage pop/soft/symphonic rock you can't forget Supertramp!

Breakfast In America
Fools Overture
School
The Logical Song

...being four of my preferred songs! :)

And by the way, Roger Hodgson seems to be one of the very few musicians that can sound better into live recording than into studio recording. No matter if you hear CD or vynils... this guy can put your speakers under heavy stress and pretty much reset all your neural connections! No matter how many times you can upgrade your sound system, you'll always hear layers above layers of new sounds.

Alan Parsons, Jean Michel Jarre, Pink Floyd, Supertramp... you name it! :)