Everything Else

Music? - Page 6

I listen to a lot of music (there are a few genres I can't stand and won't touch, but not many,) but I'm particularly big into '60s-'70s classic rock (and '60s pop-rock, before "pop" split off to become its own boring, written-by-committee thing.) Everything from the Monkees to Chicago (the good , '60s-'70s Chicago, that is) to Deep Purple is pretty much my cup of tea. I'm also a fan of golden-age video game music (everything from the Ms. Pac-Man interstitials through the Super Nintendo and Yamaha FM synthesis on the Genesis and PC.) Modern J-pop/rock also gets something of a thumbs-up; I only really like a certain percentage of it, but I admire the rabidity and enthusiasm with which Japanese songwriters cannibalize and syncretize such a massive variety of source material. Lately I've even been getting into some late-'80s/early-'90s New Age stuff (found a stash of Narada Records tapes at the thrift store for dirt-cheap and needed something to listen to when driving,) though I find it to be more background music than listening music.

My truest love, however, is classic progressive rock of the '60s and '70s. Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis (again, the good , early-to-mid-'70s Genesis,) King Crimson, ELP, and so many other lesser-known groups (Starcastle - the best Yes cover band that never actually covered Yes!) Part of it's that, as with J-pop, I greatly admire people with a broad musical palate who freely incorporate any influence they want into their own unique watchagot stew of sounds, and prog is that in spades, with the added bonus that nobody feels that it's some sort of mortal sin to have any song that's longer than seven minutes and it's better to stay closer to four, so they get plenty of room to play with longer, more complex ideas and instrumental virtuosity. (Granted, some of them can take it too far the other way, but still.) There's also the fact that I just love the sounds of the Mellotron, Hammond B-3, and Minimoog, and they're genre standards in prog. This is the genre that my own efforts most often fall into, up to and including the 17-minute space-rock epic I finished last spring. (Currently working on the last piece of an album built around that...)

Mmm. Good stuff, that prog-rock.

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn wrote:
Lately I've even been getting into some late-'80s/early-'90s New Age stuff (found a stash of Narada Records tapes at the thrift store for dirt-cheap and needed something to listen to when driving,) though I find it to be more background music than listening
"New age music" nowadays is hopelessly "Old age music". Once upon a time I was very much into it, though. I agree, back then, most of that stuff was only suitable for background noise in warehouses. However, there were some exceptions - Richard Burmer, Steve Roach, Gabrielle Roth, Patrick O'Hearn. And, of course, Constance Demby's "Novus Magnificat" [1986], arguably the greatest New Age piece ever...

That's because it's no longer "Unfinished" or in progress:
http://ftp.do.id.uw.edu.pl/pub/music/Doctor%20Who.mp3

"New age music" nowadays is hopelessly "Old age music"...

agreed, we need some fresh air (probably more than ever)

through my speakers these days: "you must believe in spring" by bill evans
fu wrote:
agreed, we need some fresh air (probably more than ever)

Day doo ron ron, babe, day doo ron ron :D

Fresh Air e ? :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q1wzwAMMPU
Can't load it via my iPad,though :-(

we need some fresh air
Fresh Air e ? :-)

have another hit ! sweet sausalito sunshine ..

This catchy little tune has been in my head lately:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIgHDE1AhyU&list=PL9EE0FBE2EDA8D895&index=3

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Passwords are like underwear. You shouldn't leave them out where people can see them. You should change them regularly. And you shouldn't loan them out to strangers.