Everything Else

Music? - Page 2

fu wrote: hamei sends me some crazy rock'n'roll and i get a 5min dream of being on vacation ...

Hank on there, Sloopy, there's more where that came from :P
I was browsing the bands/songs suggested above, and I discovered I ignored most part of them for years and they are indeed sublime... very nice, time to renew my playlist. Thank you guys. Really.

EDIT: "sublime" as in adjective, but also as in band... :)
Okay, it seems that "Sublime" and "The Monks" won another fan here after all, so I'm open to hear more along the lines of this music genre! :) ...where to follow?
Generatrix wrote: I'm open to hear more along the lines of this music genre! ...where to follow?
Alan Parsons, Jean Michel Jarre, Pink Floyd, Supertramp

Art of Noise, Kraftwerk, Frank Zappa...
"The Monks" won another fan here

The Clash, Queen, Styx, etc.. Monks are kind of interesting. It's a seemingly mainstream sound, yet there's nobody else that sounds like it.

They are described as a "70s british punk band" which almost makes sense, but it's nothing like the oi/skinhead movement... almost inspired by The Clash.. I can get the rest of the album uploaded, or just share it elsewhere for you.

Sublime
my little sister is the ska/"modern punk" expert.. and she's not around for me to ask.. I'd say, try The Mighty Mighty Bosstones , Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish , Tim Armstrong, 7Minds . I also recommend Red Hot Chili Peppers (saw them play a few weeks ago, fantastic show!) and Yellowcard (with trademark electric violin, the entire "Paper Walls" album is very good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIfDslLY7O0
In the Pit
When I'm in the pit
I'm going to punch and kick
When I'm in the pit
Don't you know, I'm going to fuck up shit

Got my wife-beater on
Steel Toe Doc Martins on my feet yeah
Run around in a little circle
I'm wondering who to beat
And you know it's really cool
'Cause I played football in high school
Gonna push some little girls tonight
Look out now... there's gonna be a fight

When I'm in the pit
I'm going to punch and kick
When I'm in the pit
Don't you know, I'm going to fuck up shit
Google: Don't Be Evil. Apple: Don't Be Greedy. Microsoft: Don't Be Stupid.
Hello there!

guardian452 wrote: my little sister is the ska/"modern punk" expert.. and she's not around for me to ask.. I'd say, try

Forget Frank Zappa, Queen, Red Hot Chili Peppers, because they are already since years into my collections! :)
...but I'll need to check all the rest! :P

About the subject The Monks... oh well... I guess I'll need some kind of lobotomy to remove from my brain "I Can Do Anything You Like" and "Space Fruit" among other songs... how the heck they were shielded from me for so many years? Tanked music before the tanked-anything age? :D

Never had too much interest for punk/ska movement, and now I hear them and I like a good chunk of their music. Good! I want more! Maybe along the rest of the weekend, maybe not... we'll see. Time to sleep a bit!

Keep adding. All the best,
Diego
GeneratriX wrote: ...where to follow?

just get lost in music dieguito

off the top of my head during the coffee-brake:

- i gotta go now
- master percussionist making beats and exchanging phrases w/ acoustic & electric players alike
fu wrote: just get lost in music dieguito

Hey, the history of my life! :P
...hello there, Fu! Nice to talk with you again. Well, let's share some latin music too:

Fabulosos Cadillacs - (HD)(Live)(Hola y Chau DVD)(Full Concert)(Argentina 2000)720p

Manu Chao - (HD)(Live)(Baionarena DVD)(France 2008)(Full Concert)720p

Soda Stereo - El Último Concierto [Completo]

...there is a lot more, but you can't go wrong with this! :)
All the best,
Diego
better watch out! I'm in a zappa funk lately!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Oo2zzwQCg
371- 528 - 818 - ?
guardian452 wrote: better watch out! I'm in a zappa funk lately!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Oo2zzwQCg

One of his most Pop of albums. I got over this one, and overnight sensation when I was 14. 4/4 time? Really? Hardly one of Franks best.
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
I'm a newb. but part of our "warm up" soundtrack was st. alfonzos... when I was in high school... and you say pop like it's a bad thing! I'm a drummer. I like 4/4 time. and 3/4 and 7/8. none of this 17/19 stuff...
guardian452 wrote: I like 4/4 time. and 3/4 and 7/8. none of this 17/19 stuff...

C'mon, man. Most of Yes' biggest dance hits were in 13/8!
Isn't 13/8 the same as just alternating 4/4 and 7/8 ? Can you provide a recording? ;)
On rotation at home, in the car or at work at the moment:

Frank Zappa.......always.

But also:

Alice Cooper
After Forever
Ambeon
Avantasia
Ayreon
Billy Cobham
Black Sabbath
Blue Man Group
Blues Brothers
Chad Wackerman
Deep Purple
Derek Sherinian
Dragonforce
Ed Mann
Edguy
Focus
Frank Zappa (the return of the son of....)
Gavin Harrison
Helloween
Ike Willis
Kaipa
Kamelot
King Diamond
Llongo
Megadeth
Michael Kiske
Ozric Tentacles
Planet X
ReVamp
Rush
Saga
Spastic Ink
Therion
Tone Norum
UK
Van Halen (the Hagar era)
If I can't fix it I can fix it so it can't be fixed.
:O2000: :O2000: +MXE/IO6G :Onyx: [RE2] :Fuel: :O200: :Octane: x3 :Octane2: :O2: x2 :1600SW: x3 :Indigo2IMP: x2 :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: :Indy: x5 :320: x2, 2xSparcStation 20 and a horde of PC's
Why is Frank Zappa always so popular inside the geek or nerd circles? I like Frank Zappa too, but I mention it because it is not the first time his name arises (and many times, in fact!) including other places with a rather geeky or nerdy population! That without punishment of geek/nerd kind of persons, where I consider myself right at middle of both, or something... :P
skywriter wrote: One of his most Pop of albums. I got over this one, and overnight sensation when I was 14. 4/4 time? Really? Hardly one of Franks best.

It's a good one but other excellent performances comes to mind.

Manx Need Women (ZINY)
Sinister Footwear 2nd mvt (MAJNH)
Approximate (YCDTOSA 4)

or

Clownz On Velvet (Apocrypha)
Whipping Post (Apocrypha)
The Purple Lagoon (ZINY)

or....well there's just so insanely much music from this man that blows the mind.
:O2000: :O2000: +MXE/IO6G :Onyx: [RE2] :Fuel: :O200: :Octane: x3 :Octane2: :O2: x2 :1600SW: x3 :Indigo2IMP: x2 :Indigo2: x2 :Indigo: :Indy: x5 :320: x2, 2xSparcStation 20 and a horde of PC's
Weasels ripped my flesh.

Is there really anything more to say on the subject?
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596
GeneratriX wrote: Why is Frank Zappa always so popular inside the geek or nerd circles? I like Frank Zappa too, but I mention it because it is not the first time his name arises (and many times, in fact!) including other places with a rather geeky or nerdy population! That without punishment of geek/nerd kind of persons, where I consider myself right at middle of both, or something... :P

Well, I'm a musician and most (musician) friends of mine hold FZ in high regard. Why? Because his extremely vast catalog includes everything you could possibly wish for in musical excellence. If you also happen to like humour in music, how could you ever go wrong with FZ?
tesla wrote: Well, I'm a musician and most (musician) friends of mine hold FZ in high regard. Why? Because his extremely vast catalog includes everything you could possibly wish for in musical excellence. If you also happen to like humour in music, how could you ever go wrong with FZ?

Yes, I think pretty much the same. I need to refresh my mind for the older albums, anyway, since I've not heared some of them since my very best LP age, and I also ignored some of them! Good point. I need to complete the puzzle! :)
Our bass drum tech / PA sound guy was big into FZ. He talks like FZ with the same accent and everything. "great googly-moogly!"