Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware

MaXX Desktop DR3 - Page 1

We have released a preview of MaXX Desktop DR3 for testing.

http://forum.maxxdesktop.com/comments.p ... ussionID=8

The install process is is even easier now. It's now simply a script which downloads and installs MaXX. No ldconfig, no making symlinks.

RHEL/CentOS x86, Debian/Ubuntu x86 are supported distribution. x86_64 support will shortly follow,

Feel free to post questions/comments here, on our forums http://forum.maxxdesktop.com/ or visit #maxx on freenode.

Cheers
Awesome job guys! I can't wait to try out the 64bit version to get some of that old 4DWM feeling back...
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
Please test! We desperately need more testers, more people to help and lurk on the IRC channel.
zizban wrote: Please test! We desperately need more testers, more people to help and lurk on the IRC channel.

If it ran on Solaris ....
I'll get myself an Ubuntu x86 VM (having MacOS as main OS atm).

Test results will follow soon. - I find that MaXX Desktop very important.
:Octane2: 2xR12000 400MHz, 4GB RAM, V12
SGI - the legend will never die!!
hamei wrote:
zizban wrote: Please test! We desperately need more testers, more people to help and lurk on the IRC channel.

If it ran on Solaris ....

Unfortunately, it won't, probably for a long time, if ever,because of the license restrictions from SGI. This is also the same reason why it won't be on FreeBSD, either.
W O W ! ! ! :shock:

This is awesome!

I just installed the MaXX inside a Parallels Ubuntu 9.04 on my MacBook.
The shell-script installation ran flawessly and now the windowmanager can be selected inside login screen.

First impression: It's such a strange feeling to have "IRIX" on my laptop :shock:

But very nice!!

Thank you very much everyone who's involved in developing it!!
You can make the Toolchest's font like Irix's by editing the Xdefaults in your home directory and commenting out anything that says xft. I believe its three lines...maybe four. Log out and in and there you go.

I'm not sure this is a bug or feature. I think it's a bug. Eric may think differently :D
Hi guys!

Glad to hear that you enjoy DR3... yet this is just a preview! The installer is not really there yet, but we are worked very hard on making MaXX Desktop an easy drop-in replacement/complement to existing Desktops on Linux.

fm, iconcatalog, confiuration panels and admin-task are in the work...

MaXX will become with your help even better, faster, and easier to install...

The SGI Desktop is back!

Eric Masson,
Founder/Lead developper for The MaXX Interactive Desktop on Linux

twitter: http://twitter.com/maxxdesktop
web: http://maxxdesktop.com
trac: http://dev.maxxdesktop.com/trac/maxxdesktop
forums: http://forum.maxxdesktop.com
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 1GB RAM DUAL HEAD
Indigo2 Max IMPACT R10K 195Mhz, 512MB RAM
Octane2 R14K 600MHz 2GB RAM V10 Pro
SGI 1400 Quad Xeon III 766Mhz 2GB Quad Voodo5 SLI
MacBook (MacBook3,1 ) OS X
MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,3)
Hackintosh Q6700 @3.21GHz (saw as MacPro2,1) in G5 PowerMac casing with 9800-GTX2 SLI
Hackintosh [email protected], Dual GTX285
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
Hackintosh OSX Server 10.3 ]Dual Quad Xeon 5420, FX1700
Here is a screenshot of DR3, showing Nedit and Irssi running in a winterm. Yes, I'm alone in the #maxx channel. :(
zizban wrote: Unfortunately, it won't, probably for a long time, if ever,because of the license restrictions from SGI.

In a way that's annoying but in another way ... if they see enough value in the Irix desktop to restrict its use, then perhaps they also see some value in Irix. It's not impossible that some sort of very limited support for Irix fixes could be attempted. n-3, even ?

I know, rose-colored glasses ... but the glass is half-full, right ?
You do never know. At least they're willing to license some of it.

By the way, if anyone want to test DR3 on something like Slackware, Gentoo, Arch and report back, feel free. More distributions could be supported but there is simply a lack of manpower to test.

DR3 should work on any RHEL clone, such as Oracle Unbreakable Linux and Scientific Linux, if any of you happen to use these.
this may sound silly somehow(?), but:

considering the fact, that inside the Linux kernel is - thanks to SGI's commitment - a lot of IRIX code. So with MaXX Desktop, IRIX lives on even on the desktop...

And now that there is the EFI bios, one could think about creating a linux distro that brings up the console that we are use to on SGI workstations while booting.

"NekoIRIX 7.0" :idea:
sorry for my oversight, but from where do i download it ? i only found the DR2 release link.
-----------------
Image Image Image
cybercow wrote: sorry for my oversight, but from where do i download it ? i only found the DR2 release link.

http://dev.maxxdesktop.com/trac/maxxdes ... tion_Guide
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
Follow the instructions in this page:

http://dev.maxxdesktop.com/trac/maxxdes ... tion_Guide

It was easy as pie last time I tried (on a fedora system at least).
"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a
pyramid with thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"
@GeneratriX

As for the correspondence... I like the idea a lot, but MaXX really try to follow the IRIX SGI Desktop guidelines and best-practices. I am targeting first IRIX to Linux migrations (that is where my real value and business is).

Finally, I like the idea of offering some kind of KDE'ish menu generating tool based on the Linux installation underneath.

Feel free to log a request for feature on dev.maxxdesktop.com/trac/maxxdesktop

I would love to get more real hardcore IRIX guys on MaXX's site... See that as a logical continuation of IRIX legacy,but with a modern twist to it!

Take care!
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480
maxxi.desktop wrote: @GeneratriX

As for the correspondence... I like the idea a lot, but MaXX really try to follow the IRIX SGI Desktop guidelines and best-practices. I am targeting first IRIX to Linux migrations (that is where my real value and business is).

Of course, that's what I've tried to express; but maybe I've not phrased well. I've tried to mean that I enjoy a lot the fact that you could not tell if you are logged into a MIPS/IRIX box or into MaXX Desktop... both virtually behave the same!

maxxi.desktop wrote: Finally, I like the idea of offering some kind of KDE'ish menu generating tool based on the Linux installation underneath.

Feel free to log a request for feature on dev.maxxdesktop.com/trac/maxxdesktop

Well, I've already registered myself a couple hours ago... I'll add my ticket once approved my account. Thanks in advance for your excellent work with MaXX! All the best,
Diego
maxxi.desktop wrote: I would love to get more real hardcore IRIX guys on MaXX's site... See that as a logical continuation of IRIX legacy,but with a modern twist to it !

I wish it ran on Linux-mips ... there's a couple netbooks out there that could make a lifelong fantasy come true (close as it ever will, anyhow.)
Of course, that's what I've tried to express; but maybe I've not phrased well. I've tried to mean that I enjoy a lot the fact that you could not tell if you are logged into a MIPS/IRIX box or into MaXX Desktop... both virtually behave the same!

That is the idea... 8-)

Well, I've already registered myself a couple hours ago... I'll add my ticket once approved my account. Thanks in advance for your excellent work with MaXX!

Thanks for the feedbacks!

Eric

P.S How you guys do that title thing 'bob wrote:' in the quote box ?
Linux i7 @3.2GHz, GTX480