IRIX and Software

neko firefox 1.0.4 - Page 1

well, here it is :D
maybe one of the most wanted contribs for now.

it's in beta and i ask the nekoware gurus to review it. after that it can be moved to current.

ftp://ftp.nekochan.net/pub/downloads/Nekoware/beta/neko_firefox-104.tardist

I`m the poor owner of a
Code:
CPU: MIPS R4600 Processor Chip Revision: 2.0
FPU: MIPS R4600 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 2.0
1 133 MHZ IP22 Processor
Main memory size: 96 Mbytes
Instruction cache size: 16 Kbytes
Data cache size: 16 Kbytes
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version WD33C93B, revision D
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0
Disk drive: unit 2 on SCSI controller 0
On-board serial ports: 2
On-board bi-directional parallel port
Graphics board: Indy 8-bit
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Integral ISDN: Basic Rate Interface unit 0, revision 1.0
Iris Audio Processor: version A2 revision 4.1.0
Vino video: unit 0, revision 0, IndyCam connected

What I missed?
All Nekoware requires a MIPS4 processor - your Indy isn't supported. I've added a note to the downloads page to hopefully alleviate confusion in the future:

http://www.nekochan.net/downloads.php

All Rights Reserved.
Thanks foetz. A very welcome addition!
I'll give it a go shortly. I'm still trying to track down what all pushed my neko_mozilla unstable.
squeen wrote:
Thanks foetz. A very welcome addition!
I'll give it a go shortly. I'm still trying to track down what all pushed my neko_mozilla unstable.

try the 1.8b1 :D

respectively gtk2 and gtk1 versions
running .22 and .27

i have a little problem in downloading files with it
in fact when when i click something for download
the dwld manager starts, all fine, but nothing wil be
..i've tried change the default dir to dwld to,
but the "Desktop" option can't be changed

what i miss?
foetz,

Very nice work on neko_firefox. A clean little app. Nice touches include have http://www.nekochan.net as the default home page and the naive indigo magic desktop fonts in the toolbar. Thank you.

One nit (and I put it to all the nekoware maintainers)...foetz has embedded all the support libs (gtk1 etc.). This is both desirable (stablity/independance) and undesireable (size). I'm inclined to let it slide (like the general absence of build instructions) for this particuar critical/core app, but.....

What's best? The problem from my point of view is that it's awefully seductive to include as it, but breaks a couple of precedents <foetz you rascal!>.

BTW I'm still in a pickle with the neko_mozilla-1.8a5.
When I load just neko_mozilla and a few core packages -- STABLE
When I load all of nekoware -- UNSTABLE.
I don't want to go to 1.8b1 (thanks foetz!) until I can unravel this mystery.
It's slow debugging, since mean time between crashes is >1 hour of use.
I haven't had the chance to test neko_firefox but does this mean it's a static build with static gtk1 stuff or .so's?

The whole point of making libraries dynamic is to preserve memory and not getting stuck with several different versions of certain libraries. My vote to including all deps into the nekoware package is a firm no, unless it's a true static build. I've done this with xscreensaver's Extrusion saver, since a) this was the only of 97 savers which needed libgle and b) one complete glut dep on xscreensaver for a tiny app didn't made sense to me, so i linked a static libgle.a to it.

Added to that static builds are generally faster, so i recommend either full static builds of firefox or static builds of firefox + nekoware deps.

Absence of build instructions? Not good.
well, it's not a real static build. i just included the needed libs right into the main folder.
the firefox startup script takes external ones first so you won't get into trouble regarding
double installations.

further i know that i broke some nekoware rules and i told steve why. i don't want (can't) to explain this
deeper. i just ask you to respect it. it's the best i can do for now.

anyway i think we can enjoy a stable and fast neko-customized browser with a neat sized tardist.

Shared means we each have to install a buncha libs in order to run one app we want, getting into the typical dependency hell that drives me nuts on Linux.

Static means we have bloat on machines that we would probably prefer to avoid bloat on. I know that I like to keep my machine running as lean as possible.

Since this community is more of a DIY type community than a DIFM (do it for me) type community, maybe we should have compilation with shared libs be the default, and if the package maintainer/contributor is feeling jazzed up, he/she can contribute a static build as well. Then we can clearly store the two versions in different locations and point new-users/DIFM types to the static builds for ease-of-use, but those of us who can handle installing all the dependencies can have the most cutting edge releases.

But, then, who is really going to police this all anyway? I mean, if I build the latest version of FireFox with all features fully functional and its just perfect, but I only build it static, am I really going to get shat on or ignored just because I don't play by all the rules? We need all the help we can get... :?:

Anyway, just my thoughts... thanks Foetz for your contribution! I appreciate it.

for windoze it's not even 10, i'm just interested as to what makes up all the extra 20 or so meg, is it to do with dependencies by any chance or just how these tardist files work?

4 gig / 256MB / R5k 180
foetz wrote:
well, it's not a real static build. i just included the needed libs right into the main folder.
the firefox startup script takes external ones first so you won't get into trouble regarding
double installations.

I've included your firefox directly from your firts published binary (without any moddifications) on my latest release of SlimDesktop (V005C), and these was done in a very classical approach, just using as pre-reqs the nekoware libraries. The bad side for people conceirned with the space issue, is that the tardists are all in the same compressed file, so, you must download all at the same time if you have plains to use it.

Also, I like to add that this (SlimDesktop) is only a work that I'm making for myself, and releasing just in case that anyone else could find it useful, so, does not needs any kind of justifications if people founds it unuseful or repetitive... only that by those days your Mozilla/FireFox builds were only binaries, so, not tardists availables for lazy people like me.

Anyway, if you have plains to make tardist builds, then I'll remove the FireFox dist files from my SlimDesktop to save space for something else not available on NekoWare by now. What do you think?

foetz wrote:
further i know that i broke some nekoware rules and i told steve why. i don't want (can't) to explain this

What can be so tragic that can't be said on a friends community as Nekochan.Net, that only ports software by fun and love to the SGI platform? :roll:

I've thought that here we are out of conflicts as jealoussy, competence, license issues (while rispecting the GNU/GPL rules), and so on...

foetz wrote:
anyway i think we can enjoy a stable and fast neko-customized browser with a neat sized tardist.

Sure!; and that's my first motivation to remove the package from SlimDesktop to replace it for one of five candidates that I've found useful for my little package.

Could you please confirm if we'll get in advance tardists for Mozilla/FireFox, and others browser related matters?

I have not intentions to become myself on a potential Bill Gates, including a default browser on a package built for fun; specially if you have done the major part of the work compilating it! ;) :lol:

(My QEMU port is another history, since is my own compilation, published under permissions of his author)

So, my votes are: every NekoWare must be released as a tardist file! ;)

double installations.

Didn't intend to razz you foetz -- you know we all love what you do for the community. Looks like Neko put firefox in nekoware, and that's the end of the discussion as far as I'm concerned. Mostly I was just commenting on the included libs.

I'm running firefox on the Tezro. Smooth as silk. Thanks again!
Hey foetz, thanks for this build. :)
I believe there was an icon made for firefox already, but I couldn't find it, so I made this one. Maybe someone else will want to use it. I do wish iconsmith had more colors in its palette. :?

Right Click > Save
http://www.geocities.com/stehrani3d/firefox_icon.gz
ZoontF wrote:
Static means we have bloat on machines that we would probably prefer to avoid bloat on. I know that I like to keep my machine running as lean as possible.

Not an easy call but I find that with gnu stuff, bloarted static builds are otten smaller than shared libraries. The number of times I've got halfway into an install only to find some nitwit Lunie has forced inclusion of every library under the sun for what should be a simple text app .... well, anyway. Firefox and T-boid are kinda in a class of their own too. Lots of people who might not have much interest in the rest of the libraries are likely to want Phoenix and Thunderbird so a static or included-library build makes sense in those cases, wouldn't you say ?
DaJuice wrote: Hey foetz, thanks for this build. :)
I believe there was an icon made for firefox already, but I couldn't find it, so I made this one. Maybe someone else will want to use it. I do wish iconsmith had more colors in its palette. :?

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/v123/ ... x_icon.png <dead>

Right Click > Save
http://www.geocities.com/stehrani3d/firefox_icon.gz

Very nice!

The ones I have look like that:

The icon for thunderbird was made by someone else, I just changed the colors to make the ff one... The iconified pictures are what I'm trying to accomplish, but both ff & tb share the same WM name, so no can't do :cry:
ZoontF wrote: Seems to me the static/shared thing was discussed before in another thread. There was a vote, too, right? I don't think the outcome of the vote made it clear cut what we should do.

Shared means we each have to install a buncha libs in order to run one app we want, getting into the typical dependency hell that drives me nuts on Linux.

as i said it's NOT a static build. the only thing i did is to include the required libs (just about 2,5mb)
so all should be fine.
phrosty-boi wrote: sorry but i don't want to sound like a negative nancy, but how come its a 34 meg download?

for windoze it's not even 10, i'm just interested as to what makes up all the extra 20 or so meg, is it to do with dependencies by any chance or just how these tardist files work?

first the tardist format does not have the best compression and second the file size differs
between the platforms. i.e. the same code compiled could be let's say 10mb on a mac and
8mb on a x86.

if you want a smaller package grab my independant builds.
Also, I like to add that this (SlimDesktop) is only a work that I'm making for myself, and releasing just in case that anyone else could find it useful, so, does not needs any kind of justifications if people founds it unuseful or repetitive... only that by those days your Mozilla/FireFox builds were only binaries, so, not tardists availables for lazy people like me.

Anyway, if you have plains to make tardist builds, then I'll remove the FireFox dist files from my SlimDesktop to save space for something else not available on NekoWare by now. What do you think?

sorry, i won't release non-nekoware tardists of mozilla-family apps in the near future.

So, my votes are: every NekoWare must be released as a tardist file! ;)

the nekoware IS all tardist.
unixmuseum wrote: The icon for thunderbird was made by someone else, I just changed the colors to make the ff one... The iconified pictures are what I'm trying to accomplish, but both ff & tb share the same WM name, so no can't do :cry:

Changing the WM_NAME for one of the two applications should be a easy compile-time modification. However, legal/license issues may prevent someone from redistributing something modified like that, perhaps even moreso in Foetz's case.

As far as the other comments about how "proper" this build is, I say quit complaining and be happy you have anything at all. 32 MB is a fair download size compared to what you would find from freeware.sgi.com, and the Foetz builds are much newer and much faster. If we keep complaining, Foetz will grab his ball and bat and go home. Compiling Mozilla/FireFox is a huge pain. My last build of Mozilla took a full weekend of banging my head against my desk and monitor, and it was still slower than a similar Foetz build.