IRIX and Software

neko firefox 1.0.4 - Page 2

Yup - it is well worth to replace the link on the mozilla ports site:
http://www.mozilla.org/ports/
which only (mis-) leads to a page of sgi that simply points back to where one came from :-(

btw., what´s the difference between the builds from foetz´ contrib dir and the newkoware build? Icons?

Walther
foetz wrote: sorry, i won't release non-nekoware tardists of mozilla-family apps in the near future.

Well; as I've stated before, I've released FireFox as a tardist inside SlimDesktop because up to the date of launch, FF was not available as tardist.

Now; if you are carrying up all the work by yourself, then there is no need to make a parallel tardist for FireFox inside SlimDesktop.

In fact, it takes some time for me that I'll need for my own projects. Under any light, I'll leave FireFox out of SlimDesktop starting from the next release in advance.

foetz wrote: the nekoware IS all tardist.

Sorry; then I've referred more properly to those "FoetzWare" days, where the whole Mozilla's family was always in binary format, and never in tardist... anyway, I don't know if you are even releasing non-tardist versions as in the past.
Diego wrote:
foetz wrote: the nekoware IS all tardist.

Sorry; then I've referred more properly to those "FoetzWare" days, where the whole Mozilla's family was always in binary format, and never in tardist... anyway, I don't know if you are even releasing non-tardist versions as in the past.

why do you think so? i just stopped the weekly cvs builds cause of 3 nasty bugs the mozilla
guys didn't solve so far.
as soon as it's done there will be as much builds as there were in the past :D
edefault wrote: btw., what´s the difference between the builds from foetz´ contrib dir and the newkoware build? Icons?

Walther

nearly nothing. i just rebuild the app using /usr/nekoware as prefix and add the needed deps to
the tardist. the neko_firefox also got nekochan as the default homepage and a few things like that.
the app itself is the same. if you just wanna have the current version grab my tar.bz2 builds as always...
foetz wrote: why do you think so? i just stopped the weekly cvs builds cause of 3 nasty bugs the mozilla

Sorry Foetz; my excuses for these missunderstanding, I've was just too bussy on my own things here on latest weeks, not awared at all about this.

Then you'll release again binaries after solved those three bugs by the Mozilla's team, right? ...In fact my only conceirn was more precisely about the prosperity of your new tardist releases, on wich I'm more interested.

I'm hardly using binaries or hand made installs on my systems; so, I have a compulsive obsession to convert any non-tardist distribution to a tardist one! ...So, I'll be happy enough while you can put your latest version of any of those browsers to be downloaded as tardist, no matter if there is a binary version on the 'contrib' folder too ;)

Thanks in advance by your good work.
Best regards,
sorry to sound like a wet blanket, but i've downloaded and installed firefox 1.04 nekoware onto my O2, it works perfectly, but it's really really slow

this is what my O2 is running:
R5k 180Mhz
256mb ram

is the O2 what would be causing it to be slow or is there some way to get better performance from firefox on my machine?
Octane
9 gig / 512MB / ESSI / R10k 250
O2
4 gig / 256MB / R5k 180
phrosty-boi wrote: R5k 180Mhz
256mb ram

now its about time for the R5200@300 CPU module...
gives +67% speed and an option for 233% with RM7000@600MHz
(eventually 400% if RM7900@900MHz works - fingers crossed!)

don´t forget that there are pretty lame web servers out there...

Walther
edefault wrote: lame web servers out there...

...and as if to punish me for my arrogance, some Debian Woody variant (called Xandros) offered me to upgrade to FF1.04 lately (I had FF1.0 previously installed by myself - and it was much faster than the mozilla monster that originally came with the distro). I gladly accepted, but to my disappointment it is now incredible slow. Where to unlock the brake?

Walther
phrosty-boi wrote:

this is what my O2 is running:
R5k 180Mhz
256mb ram

is the O2 what would be causing it to be slow or is there some way to get better performance from firefox on my machine?

Not likely with R5k 180 as Walther also stated.

But if you cannot change CPU you may change browser :twisted: - caution - with some trade offs.

I found usefull alternative for older boxes in Dillo, g-lenerz has precompiled version on http://sgistuff.g-lenerz.de/downloads/index.html , no support for frames and/or any fancy stuff but lighting fast on older R4k and R5k systems. Nekochan is not having frames, ebay and google either, for what more you may use browser nowadys. :wink:

Would be cool to have nekoware build, source is on http://www.dillo.org/ .

With bit of touch of Fotez's magic could be maybe even faster but anyway it's well usable for very basic fast surfing.

z

PS. this message is contributed via Dillo 0.8.3 on IP22
Diego wrote:
foetz wrote: why do you think so? i just stopped the weekly cvs builds cause of 3 nasty bugs the mozilla

Sorry Foetz; my excuses for these missunderstanding, I've was just too bussy on my own things here on latest weeks, not awared at all about this.

Then you'll release again binaries after solved those three bugs by the Mozilla's team, right?

sure, but i'm up to date with the releases. the bug just prevents me from building the weekly
cvs versions.
just have a look into my folder.
foetz wrote: sure, but i'm up to date with the releases. the bug just prevents me from building the weekly
cvs versions.

This is cool; I'll wait anyway for the next tardist, since I'm up to date by now. Also, I have arranged the new release (V0.06) of SlimDesktop to upload soon to the FTP account of Neko; and starting with this release in advance the Mozilla FireFox tardist is not included anymore on my combined package. So, I'll let the whole task for you! :D

Thanks in advance by your excellent work! ;)
Diego wrote:
foetz wrote: sure, but i'm up to date with the releases. the bug just prevents me from building the weekly
cvs versions.

This is cool; I'll wait anyway for the next tardist,

this might be ff1.1 but i can't promise.

since I'm up to date by now. Also, I have arranged the new release (V0.06) of SlimDesktop to upload soon to the FTP account of Neko

great!

; and starting with this release in advance the Mozilla FireFox tardist is not included anymore on my combined package. So, I'll let the whole task for you! :D

hehe

Thanks in advance by your excellent work! ;)

likewise! it's always nice to have a coder in the neighbourhood :lol:
foetz wrote: likewise! it's always nice to have a coder in the neighbourhood :lol:

Thanks Foetz.
BTW: What do you think about my issue with the build of YafRay V0.07? Seems pretty weird...

Compiling YafRay V0.0.7 On MIPSPRO
Diego wrote: BTW: What do you think about my issue with the build of YafRay V0.07? Seems pretty weird...

looks like there's an -L entry missing in the install routine.
foetz wrote:
Diego wrote: BTW: What do you think about my issue with the build of YafRay V0.07? Seems pretty weird...

Weird, I've browsed the Makefile, and ./configure was adding correctly a line for -lyafraycore. But regardles of this, I've noticed that was linked against some MIPS3 standard libraries instead of MIPS4. I'll check deeper later. Thanks by your point of view! ;)
Diego wrote:
foetz wrote:

Weird, I've browsed the Makefile, and ./configure was adding correctly a line for -lyafraycore. But regardles of this, I've noticed that was linked against some MIPS3 standard libraries instead of MIPS4. I'll check deeper later. Thanks by your point of view! ;)

no problem, but i haven't done much :D
foetz wrote: no problem, but i haven't done much :D

Oh, I can't say by now what was wrong with YafRay there, but I'll check once backuped those 18Gigs that I need to stock now... :(
Thanks in anyway; sorry by this little "steal" of your thread! ;)
Salutti!
http://www.nekochan.net/downloads/contrib/foetz/postgresql_803.tar.bz2
http://www.nekochan.net/downloads/contrib/foetz/thunderbird_11a1-gtk1.tar.bz2

Oh, I can't say by now what was wrong with YafRay there, but I'll check once backuped those 18Gigs that I need to stock now... :(
Thanks in anyway; sorry by this little "steal" of your thread! ;)

no prob.

Salutti!

pizza :lol: :lol:
foetz wrote:
Diego wrote: Salutti!

pizza :lol: :lol:

...La pizza è buona, migliore se con buoni vino e cantimpalo de Calabria! ...Saluti per la Germania! 8)