SGI: Discussion

What do you use your SGI for? - Page 8

In the electrical pulse power world that I inhabit by profession we routinely make use of the term "overvolt." We never use "undervolt" because if the charge voltage stops short of our intended target it's never a disaster the way an overvolt always is... :shock:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
Recently with a help from another forum member, I obtained a very nice Wacom tablet(Intuos, A4 sized). Now a friend of mine uses my Octane to practice in drawing on a tablet. Drawings are made in Alias StudioPaint 9.5.

My portrait:
Her self-portrait:
a couple of other drawings:
^^^ phenomenal!
:Onyx2: :Fuel: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O3x0:
clearly not painting for the first time :P
r-a-c.de
ah, now studiopaint is the one software i miss from the IRIX days. very nicely done painterly feeling.

it is a bit of a forgetful one though. make sure you backup the work done with it/save multiple versions. it sometimes just fails to load in old projects. you can always access the layers separately in the filesystem and reimport but it can be a bit of a bummer.
GIJoe wrote: it is a bit of a forgetful one though. make sure you backup the work done with it/save multiple versions. it sometimes just fails to load in old projects. you can always access the layers separately in the filesystem and reimport but it can be a bit of a bummer.

that's a folder issue. just like alias itself it "expects" its special folder structure to be there from where you start it
r-a-c.de
Working together with a friend of mine on making her portrait in 3D. And no - in reality she doesn't have a nose piercing or that weird haircut.

:Octane2: :320:
^^^Not to be too shallow or anything but Russian women are just so spankin' hot... :twisted:

Okay, that was pretty shallow. :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
vishnu wrote: Not to be too shallow or anything but Russian women are just so spankin' hot...

Happy to see that somebody out there is still able to put some life into the 'graphics' part of the name. Just a little sad that I have to use a cobbled together vanilla PeeCee instead of redbox to do my Virtual Worlds stuff. Oh well.
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
vishnu wrote: ^^^Not to be too shallow or anything but Russian women are just so spankin' hot... :twisted:

Okay, that was pretty shallow. :lol:

ermmm :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
jimmer wrote: Virtual Worlds

Never attempt to win by force what can be won by deception: well done, man, it really looks like tumbling down the rabbit hole into the Wonderland :D

oh well, my personal idea of the Wonderland is a garden with no boundary and populated by an uncountable amount of rabbit girls, from everywhere in the world, thin, tall, short, (no one is fat), in different hair colour, red, blonde and brunette!
hey oh? Swimming pool & Racing bicycle.
Hi all!

Not a recent work (I graduated in 2009), but I used my SGI Visual Workstation 320 to create my graduation film at the university.

Parental advisory explicit content! :D
:320: 2x1GHz PIII, 1GB RAM, 300GB 10K Hitachi HDD, 1600SW, Medea VideoRAID, Windows 2000 :1600SW:
That was great, thanks!
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
BLAiSE wrote: Hi all!

Not a recent work (I graduated in 2009), but I used my SGI Visual Workstation 320 to create my graduation film at the university.

Parental advisory explicit content! :D

Now that was bloody brilliant work :D

I myself used to work for an animation studio but decided to join the fibre brigade and start my own ISP.
However I still on and off after hours work on an an animation project I started round 2010 :)
Need to post pictures
MAYA, nut-
:Octane2: :Octane2: Octane 2 R14k 600 V12 4GB, Octane2 R14K 600 V10 1GB ,
:Onyx2: :Onyx2: Onyx2 IR3 4GB Quad R14K 500 DIVO, Onyx2 IR Quad R12K 400 2GB,
:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB
Doing room planning with Maya is like hunting squirrel with a howitzer, but who cares? :D
:Octane2: :320:
Like your room, it's small though :o

Just thinking out loud, would it be easy to make pictures of furniture and create textures that way?
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :O200: :O2000: :Onyx2:
Okay .. so I've been working on a project involving character animation and mo-cap (ipisoft) So basically a short animated piece in my spare time..
Time that I really don't have too much of these days :)

Character rigging texturing and partial animations blend-shapes, finer details such as hands ears etc all done by hand on an onyx2/octane2 v12.
Though rendering in mental ray with final gather turned out to be a pain on even a R14K quad based system. Still its pretty much fun.. Might end up
resorting to using maxwell render for the eye-candy shtuff. Stil using my serial-based Wacom UD-1218-R in photoshop/gimp

Its fantastic to see people still use their Sgi gear for animation/CAD work!
MAYA, nut-
:Octane2: :Octane2: Octane 2 R14k 600 V12 4GB, Octane2 R14K 600 V10 1GB ,
:Onyx2: :Onyx2: Onyx2 IR3 4GB Quad R14K 500 DIVO, Onyx2 IR Quad R12K 400 2GB,
:Indigo2: SGI Indigo 2 R8K75 TEAL Extreme 256MB,
:Indigo2IMP: SGI Indigo 2 R10K 195 Solid Impact 256MB, MAX Impact Pending
Apple G5 Quad, NV Quadro 4500 + 7800GT, 12GB RAM
Sun Blade 1000 Dual 900 XVR 1000 4GB
Sun Blade 2000 Dual 1200 XVR 1200 8GB
Cool, Sabrina with an Amiga shirt. :)
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
Heh, nice :D
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01/SY22, Korg DW-8000/MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/M1/03-RW, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris
Ryan Fox wrote: Its fantastic to see people still use their Sgi gear for animation/CAD work!

I think lot of "old" software are capable to do serious work.
I worked in a studio around 1999 and we used Softimage|Toonz 4.x and Softimage|3D 3.x animation software (the same ones what I used for create my own film). We were official Softimage beta-testers and we used mostly sgi servers, sgi o2's and sgi NT workstations for creating animation series for UK producers. (Toonz was the very same animation software what Studio Ghibli used at the same time in Japan for animated movies, and the first traditional animation software on IRIX - even the NT port of the program used the gui of the IRIX version :) and it was capable of interactive work in mixed IRIX / NT environment.
The system and the software was almost flawless so I can't imagine at the time, what will be the next step, because with Toonz you were capable to do everything what was needed for traditional animation work. The software had all the features what we needed, it was well written optimized code, the workflow was fast and efficient on those 200-300MHz computers.
So they fucked up the whole thing, just as the XSI. (Although this was an independent coder division in Italy). Toonz 5.0 was a totally new ware with pure Windows only codebase, new user interface and full Flash support. It was slow (even with 1000 MHz processors), buggy, it had lost a lot of features (they added them one-by-one, slowly in the following ten years). This was my first encounter with the new era: the 21th century software development.

People have to use these computers with these well written, optimized and reliable software. With just collecting them, we cannot save them. We have to use them, without it they will become only rusty boxes and fading memories.

Keep it up with your animation short. Sabrina looks great!
:320: 2x1GHz PIII, 1GB RAM, 300GB 10K Hitachi HDD, 1600SW, Medea VideoRAID, Windows 2000 :1600SW: