SGI: Discussion

What do you use your SGI for? - Page 6

toasty wrote: I use my O2 for music, light photo processing, irc, learning UNIX & shell scripting, and as a simple media server[1] when I’m not sitting in front of it. It’s a nice little machine that could still do more after it had been EOL’d.

[1] I store movies in a folder and share that via OutBox. Then I can stream to my MacBook by opening the url of a movie file in VLC. Crude but works!

that sounds nice, versatile and reasonable usage :-)
r-a-c.de
duck wrote: Before we all jump back in here, I'd like to point out that this has been rather extensively answered already. Perhaps ivelegacy ought to make acquaintance with the search function.

Edit: On second thought (and some quick searching of my own) I may have jumped the shark, apologies if that was the case.

Did you mean this thread? http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=152
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
miod wrote:
duck wrote: Before we all jump back in here, I'd like to point out that this has been rather extensively answered already. Perhaps ivelegacy ought to make acquaintance with the search function.

Edit: On second thought (and some quick searching of my own) I may have jumped the shark, apologies if that was the case.

Did you mean this thread? http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=152

indeed that's the one i remember, too. seems like time for a merge

Edit by josehill: I merged the topics. It took a while for me to figure out how to do it with the new version of phpBB. I wanted to be sure I didn't mess up an important, historic thread.
r-a-c.de
My SGI's are like recreational drugs to me: I use them to unwind after a busy day at work, but there's the danger of addiction. :mrgreen:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. ( IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report )
i wish i have MATLAB for Irix, it's simply marvelous :mrgreen:
have fun
@josehill
I merged the topics. It took a while for me to figure out how to do it with the new version of phpBB. I wanted to be sure I didn't mess up an important, historic thread.

thank you, i haven't seen the existing thread
have fun
uunix wrote:
duck wrote: By the way, do these old versions of smoke do 1080p video in some format? Rendering anything might be painful though... :-)

Not sure duck, I work at 720 at the moment. Give me 6 months and I may have a better answer.

foetz wrote: that stuff has been used for movies so 1080 shouldn't be a problem

Sounds promising, what kind of intermediate format could you feed these programs? I suspect they won't eat mov/h264.

Hmm, while the admins are stitching threads, this post perhaps ougt to be rebased. I feel bad for polluting that old thread now...
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
Edit by josehill: I merged the topics. It took a while for me to figure out how to do it with the new version of phpBB. I wanted to be sure I didn't mess up an important, historic thread.

thanks jose :-)

duck wrote: Sounds promising, what kind of intermediate format could you feed these programs? I suspect they won't eat mov/h264

the uncompressed frames or a few similar movie formats of course. no point in using heavily compressed material as source, leave that to the adobe and alike botch :P
r-a-c.de
I'm using one of my indy for my Nintendo Ultra64 dev setup, fantastic stuff. It's usefull because you can hook the output of the Ultra64 board to the composite inof the machine, so you don't need a second screen.

It's not mips related, but I also use my VW230 for a Nintendo Dolphin dev kit setup (DDH).
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
arhiman57 wrote: I'm using one of my indy for my Nintendo Ultra64 dev setup, fantastic stuff. It's usefull because you can hook the output of the Ultra64 board to the composite inof the machine, so you don't need a second screen.

that's rare :D
do you code or also create gfx stuff? or both? :shock:
r-a-c.de
I'd like to see a shot of that in action.

Those kinds of capabilities were why I drooled over the Indy when I was a starving student.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * HP C8000 * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
skywriter wrote: when does a perfectly good adjective like 'low voltage' get replaced by techno-colloquial slang-verb garbage like 'undervolt'?

skywriter wrote: i know what they mean. they're not words knowledgeable engineers I know use.

When Apollo 13 had its mishap, the astronauts described it as an "undervolt"

astronaut: "We've had a MAIN B BUS UNDERVOLT."
Houston: "Roger. MAIN B UNDERVOLT."
...one and a half minutes later...
astronaut: "We got a MAIN BUS A UNDERVOLT now, too, showing."
Houston: "MAIN A UNDERVOLT."

Apparently the term "undervolt" has been used by NASA since 1970.
that's rare :D
do you code or also create gfx stuff? or both? :shock:

Unfortunately I'm not a good coder.... At the base I'm a small Nintendo game collector, especially the Nintendo 64, so SGI was cleary a target for me after 1995. I only acquired my first SGI in 2007 when I started to work.... Now I'm more focusing on old console development setup than pure gaming, like Ultra64 dev board, Dolphin setup, Gameboy advance. i really like to have complete fonctionnal setup, searching old documentation, compiling early history of the system etc... But it's really difficult to find hardware and software for these beast :D

Here some screenshot of my ultra64 board (you can see in console the specs of the u64 board and in the capture area a 3D demo of the U64 SDK, with the output of the console connected to the video in of the indy). More to come later.

And the VW230 Nintendo Gamecube (Dolphin setup)

Regards
Mathieu
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:
where have you found the N64 kit for Indy ?
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
There's a video on you tube of a guy got given a shitload of N64 development gear. It's a cool watch.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
seen now on ebay, sold on 2012 (@ 550 USD)

Nintendo Ultra 64 Dev Kit. SGI Indy Development Machine plus Orginial SDK
Item Sold

containing:
Silicon Graphics INDY R5000 Dev Workstation with
Ultra 64 Development Board (Vers 2.0 1995)
Full RAM, 2 HDD, 8 Bits Graphics Card...
plus September-August 2000 Original SDK with
Nintendo 64 OS/SGI Version 2.0L
Nintendo 64 OS/PC Version 2.0L
N64 Online Manuals 5.2
Developers Toolkit 5.2
N64 Developer Documents 5.2

so i can now imagine how this kit was composed
Some prowling the streets, looking for sweets from their Candyman , I'm Looking for a new IP30/Octane2
My machine got the Xbow damaged, so I swapped for a second hand Rigol-DG1032Z WaveGen/DDS@30Mhz
IP30 purposes : linux (kernel development), Irix Scientific Apps { Ansys, Catia, Pro/E, FiberSIM, AutoDYNþ }
Other Projects : { Cerberus , Woody Box , 68K-board, SWI_DBG }, discontinued Console hacks { GB , PSX1 }
Wanted Equipments : { U1732C LCR meter by Keysight, alternatives are the welcome }
Fun!
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred , 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy , 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze , 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce , Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...
Hello,

I found the board on ebay two years ago for 49€ :D

I 'don't have the complete doc set and cd. I'm also missing a big part, the small pcb to connect the output of the board to the N64 joypad, so many demo are not usable. It's the biggest problem, if you don't find a complete package (maybe one time per year on ebay at maximum) you can take ages to find all missing parts....

So I have used a spare R4400 175mhz/128mb/XL24 Indy, installed Irix 5.3 and all the U64 software I was able to find at the moment to make this board working.
I'm using my Octane for a few things - it's my goto for testing something in a UNIX environment (second is Solaris), a web server (custom built PHP and httpd), and an FTP server.
"Apollo was astonished, Dionysus thought me mad."
:Octane: :Octane: :O2:
Hello there.

I would like to reiterate the question that started this post 12 years ago. What can be the reason for one to use at home, or work for that mater, an SGI/IRIX machine? I would like to mention that 15-20 years ago I used one of those magic Indigo2 boxes for CAD design and ware way much faster than any contemporary Windows boxes. How, living with the nostalgia of those times, I think to buy one Fuel workstation. The main question still stands:
what will be the use of this SGI/IRIX machine.

Cheers,
Marius