SGI: Discussion

What do you use your SGI for? - Page 5

ivelegacy wrote: and what about your Irix applications ? What do you run on your Irix box ?

Lots of various CAD and 3D applications, NGINX etc. I use them like I would any UNIX computer, and I also like to test their security by setting up a throwaway image, hardening it, exposing it, and it alone on my network to the internet and seeing how long it lasts. Thus far the Indy has remained secure, and online, for about 6 weeks.
SGI:
:Fuel: R16000A@900MHz 3GB V10
L2 Controller
Non-SGI:
HP C8000
HP EliteBook 8560p [email protected] 16GB Youmu FreeBSD 10.1/Windows 8.1
IBM IntelliStation 265 Dual POWER3-II@450MHz Jigoku-Karasu ( Hell Raven )

Incoming/On bench for repair/not in service:
2x :O3x0: Origin 300
:A3502L:
For Sale: O2 DIMMS, Octane and O2 caddies, Octane2 maxed out.
All my SGI machines run IRIX. I've spent a fair bit of time quietening them down. On the O2, I replaced the PSU fan with a Nocturna one (a common mod) and it's now VERY quiet. My Fuel has also been almost completely re-fanned and is very quiet too. The fans of my Indigo2 have all been replaced, but I can't dial the PSU fan down too much as the thing just kicks out too much heat for me to risk it. Still a lot quiter than originally though!

I use my SGIs for all manner of pratting around in IRIX, scripting in Perl, playing music through XMMS, I've recently been using my Indigo2 to rip a bunch of vinyls. Other bits involve a few games such as ScummVM games, Quake 3 on my Fuel and such-forth. Ultimately, they're just good fun. I enjoy trying to compile old plugins for XMMS, or writing a script to selectively synchronise certain files/folders between my two main systems via a shared staging folder on my PC and such forth. It's just good old-fashioned fun!
Systems in use:
:Fuel: - Lithium : R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen : R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
Other systems in storage: :O2: x 2, :Indy: x 2
@TeamBlackFox
i have an original CD of Pro/E for UNIX, i have never used it, also i do not know anything about its license

which CAD do you use ?

here i have a copy of maya v5, which is not a CAD, but it is the only 3D application i know for Irix

the purpose of this thread is also to understand what i could eventually run on my Irix box as i really do not know anything about Irix's Applications.
Trippynet wrote: On the O2, I replaced the PSU fan with a Nocturna one (a common mod) and it's now VERY quiet

very cool ! can you tell me more ?

my O2+ is not exactly quiet, i mean it does a bit of noise, less noise if compared to my Octane2, which is extremely noisy !
Before we all jump back in here, I'd like to point out that this has been rather extensively answered already. Perhaps ivelegacy ought to make acquaintance with the search function.

Edit: On second thought (and some quick searching of my own) I may have jumped the shark, apologies if that was the case.
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
ivelegacy wrote: @TeamBlackFox
i have an original CD of Pro/E for UNIX, i have never used it, also i do not know anything about its license

which CAD do you use ?

here i have a copy of maya v5, which is not a CAD, but it is the only 3D application i know for Irix

the purpose of this thread is also to understand what i could eventually run on my Irix box as i really do not know anything about Irix's Applications.

Mostly the old AUTOCAD versions. Pro/E for UNIX is pretty neat from what I hear, I've used Pro/E on Windows before.

Again, I'm mostly a hobbyist. I have a FreeBSD laptop for real work.
SGI:
L2 Controller
Non-SGI:
HP C8000

duck wrote: Before

brain storming is not answered yet :lol:
@TeamBlackFox
if you want to try Pro/E for Unix, i can put it somewhere, but … you have to think about the license, i do not really know anything.
ivelegacy wrote: the purpose of this thread is also to understand what i could eventually run on my Irix box as i really do not know anything about Irix's Applications.

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Catalog_of ... X_software
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I've used SGI for years now, I did my C&G C/C++ cert on my Indy back in the late 90s and then used Maya (o2 R5000) as a hobby, now I use SMOKE for my new hobby of video editing (Octane2 + 02 + Indy).

Regardless of the money I keep spending, I have to remind myself .. IT'S A FSKING HOBBY!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :Octane2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: :540:
uunix wrote: now I use SMOKE for my new hobby of video editing (Octane2 + 02 + Indy).

By the way, do these old versions of smoke do 1080p video in some format? Rendering anything might be painful though... :-)
:Octane: halo , oct ane Image knightrider , d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond , soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.
uunix wrote: C&G C/C++

today i have installed MIPSProC with a license for C only (no fortran or C++)
i can do something now :D

Thank you, i didn't see this catalog list, and it's very interesting for me because there are a lot of Applications i don't know.

This thread is also good for me as "brain storming", which is also useful to meet people of real hobby usage =)
btw ivelegacy, the posts here do have an edit button. if you're the last one to post and wanna say something else just a few minutes later you can edit your previous one and add it
r-a-c.de
I'm still getting my feet wet with SGI, but my plan when I get ahold of a copy of Photoshop is to use my O2 as a scanning and light image-processing workstation for when I finally get my webcomic off the ground.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
commodorejohn wrote: I'm still getting my feet wet with SGI, but my plan when I get ahold of a copy of Photoshop is to use my O2 as a scanning and light image-processing workstation for when I finally get my webcomic off the ground.

What is this webcomic going to be about eh?
SGI:
L2 Controller
Non-SGI:
HP C8000

Boarding-house comedy with fantastic-realism elements. Think oldschool Bloom County meets, I dunno, Skin Horse . Or Thimble Theater with monster-people and clockwork robots.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/Jupiter-6/D-50/MT-32/SC-55k, Ensoniq SQ-80/Mirage, Yamaha DX7/V-50/FB-01, Korg DW-8000/03-RW/MS-20 Mini, E-mu Proteus MPS/Proteus/2, Rhodes Chroma Polaris

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup
duck wrote:
uunix wrote: now I use SMOKE for my new hobby of video editing (Octane2 + 02 + Indy).

By the way, do these old versions of smoke do 1080p video in some format? Rendering anything might be painful though... :-)

Not sure duck, I work at 720 at the moment. Give me 6 months and I may have a better answer.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
MyDungeon() << :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indy: MyLoft() << :540: :Octane: MyWork() << :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo:
that stuff has been used for movies so 1080 shouldn't be a problem
r-a-c.de
I use my O2 for music, light photo processing, irc, learning UNIX & shell scripting, and as a simple media server[1] when I’m not sitting in front of it. It’s a nice little machine that could still do more after it had been EOL’d.

[1] I store movies in a folder and share that via OutBox. Then I can stream to my MacBook by opening the url of a movie file in VLC. Crude but works!
:Fuel: rhaegar :MacBook: snow