SGI: Hardware

Any experience with IPS SOG-capable displays ? - Page 1

My BENQ is slowly nearing its end of life, there's a high chance my tweaking of Octane's VFO broke something internally, and what happens is:
after a while of use, I get ripped font (not only edges on the screen, as if it was going a tad out of sync,
this happens on my Octane, Fuel and a MAC (over 3 different ports - DSUB, DVI, HDMI respectively), so it's definitely monitor issue.
I'm considering replacing it with a new one, and it turns out that many new models gave up on supporting SOG (chearper iiyama's for example only support separate sync),
and I see no point buying sync splitter.

Has anybody had any recent buying experience with IPS or at least LED panels that worked well with SGI ?

Cheers.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *
I have one Dell Ultrasharp U2410 IPS screen I use with some of my machines. I have used it with my Octane2, Indigo2 and my Indy. Of course it handles my Fuel, O2 and VW320 well too.

Lot's of inputs. Hdmi, Display port, D-sub, 2x Dvi, component and composite.

-----------------
Old polygon wrangler
I also have the Dell U2410. It's a very good monitor: plenty of entries, factory calibration with certificate (checked with my color sensor: close to perfect), 16:10 factor (and not this awful 16:9), and so on.

I can only recommend it.

:Octane2: R12k 360 V6, 2Go, HD (173Go, 34Go)
:Octane: R10k 400 MXE, 1280Mo / 2xR10k 300 SSE,...
:O2: R10k 195, 512Mo / R5k 180, 512Mo / R5k 180->200 motherboard and PM only
:Indigo2IMP: R10k 195, HighImpact, 160Mo/ R?k 125, Extreme, 160Mo
:O200: :O200: twin O200, 4xR12k 270, 2Go, HD (4x18Go)
:4D70G: 4D70GT... my very first one (now property of musée bolo and the foundation mémoires informatiques )
I'm using a DellU2412M with great results with Octane and Fuel. VGA + DVI + DisplayPort for cheap...

http://unixverse.blogspot.com
Wasn't there a list of capable monitors somewhere? Ah.. http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Monitors

I have a LG L245W that sort of works, best I could do was to make it get the sync right some of the time. Re-applying the video mode gives you another shot at getting it right... My HP ZR24W does NOT like my Octane, it refuses to see a signal, and I have a sneaking suspicion it requires a valid DDC2 signal.

I think I'll settle on Dell 2410 - I can't resist lots of ports (I need DSUB,DVI,HDMI at the very least).

I'm using a DellU2412M with great results with Octane and Fuel. VGA + DVI + DisplayPort for cheap...

Titox could you please post the VOF you're using for that monitor? I've got one and I'd love to try it out with my Octane... :D
I'm using the VFO that comes with Irix 6.5.30 on my V6. Nothing special except the 13W3 to VGA adapter built by myself:
Attachment:
File comment: 13W3->VGA adapter.
DSC_4099.JPG
DSC_4099.JPG [ 141.76 KiB | Viewed 278 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: V6 1920x1200x60 desktop.
image4.jpg
image4.jpg [ 939.3 KiB | Viewed 278 times ]

duck wrote:
Wasn't there a list of capable monitors somewhere? Ah.. http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/Monitors

Hmm, no BenQ monitors on that list. Yet my two BenQ monitors claim to support SOG ("Composite SYNC on green" as the specifications state). I have requested an account and will update the list if my reqest gets approved. :-)

Wow... :shock:

I've been trying to get it to work through the DVI connector(s) on my DCD and so far I've got nuthin' but 1920 by 1200 of blank screen... :lol:
vishnu wrote:
Wow... :shock: I've been trying to get it to work through the DVI connector(s) on my DCD and so far I've got nuthin' but 1920 by 1200 of blank screen... :lol:
Titox used an analog connection, so it might be possible that the VGA and DVI ports don't support the same range of timing inputs.

If you can use another system to capture capture the EDID info from the monitor you'll have everything needed to make a monitor-specific custom VFO . I use SwitchResX (OS X) to obtain EDID info, but there are similar apps for other platforms, the EDID Wiki mentions PowerStrip for Windows and read-edid for linux .

Yep that's kind of been on my todo list for a while now. :shock:

We should probably pull all that information together and create a step-by-step process for building custom VOFs and put it in the Wiki...
vishnu wrote:
We should probably pull all that information together and create a step-by-step process for building custom VOFs and put it in the Wiki...

Post or PM your EDID info I'll build a format for you..... just in case the wiki article takes a while.

Titox wrote:

Do you have any experience with HDMI -> DisplayPort adapters ?

I'm considering 2412 as an alternative to 2410 (in case I can't find it), and my MBP and RaspberryPI need HDMI, so adapter would be my only chance (DVI will be taken by Fuel).

tingo wrote:
Hmm, no BenQ monitors on that list. Yet my two BenQ monitors claim to support SOG ("Composite SYNC on green" as the specifications state). I have requested an account and will update the list if my reqest gets approved. :-)

I have E2200HD , VFO here: http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16725900&p=7344708#p7344708

Works via DVI on Fuel, and DSUB on Octane,O2 and Indy.

Thing is - I *suspect*, that my BENQ panel broke because of my extensive VFO experiments, but I have no evidence that this is true.

Thanks

Thing is - I *suspect*, that my BENQ panel broke because of my extensive VFO experiments, but I have no evidence that this is true.

Probably no need to feel guilty ... I have not had great sucess with Benq longevity.

recondas wrote:
..... just in case the wiki article takes a while.

The V0ice of Experience :P
kubatyszko wrote:
Do you have any experience with HDMI -> DisplayPort adapters ?

I'm considering 2412 as an alternative to 2410 (in case I can't find it), and my MBP and RaspberryPI need HDMI, so adapter would be my only chance (DVI will be taken by Fuel).

Only used DP->HDMI converters -with good results- to connect a workstation to a 55 inches TV, but that's the opposite of your needs.

PS: I bought the monitor in Amazon, cheapper than the Dell online store (-100€!!!!)

kubatyszko wrote:
I'm considering 2412 as an alternative to 2410 (in case I can't find it) ...

There's a ton on Taobao, from ~ $200 to ~ 300 USD. U2412M, is that the one of which you speak ? There are P2412's also.
U2412M. P2412 are cheap HD monitors (1080px).

recondas wrote:
vishnu wrote:

Post or PM your EDID info I'll build a format for you..... just in case the wiki article takes a while.

..... or plug your EDID info into this VFC source file template:
Code:
/*
Template for creating a VFC source file from data captured by one of the EDID utilities (such as SwitchResX).

To use the template completely replace the bracketed comments with the requested data; as an example:
HorizontalBackPorch     = <Back Porch value from Horizontal field of EDID> pixels;
HorizontalBackPorch     = 148 pixels;

When complete, save the template using the descriptive format name used, appended with a ".vfs" file extension.
*/

General {
FormatName = "<Descriptive Format name (must include Quotation marks)>";

FieldsPerFrame          = 1;
FramesPerSecond         = <Scan Rate from Vertical field of EDID>;
TotalLinesPerFrame      = <Total from Vertical field of EDID>;
TotalPixelsPerLine      = <Total from Horizontal field of EDID>;
ActiveLinesPerFrame     = <Active value from Vertical field of EDID>;
ActivePixelsPerLine     = <Active value from Horizontal field of EDID>;

}
Active Line {
HorizontalBackPorch     = <Back Porch value from Horizontal field of EDID> pixels;
HorizontalSync          = <Sync Width from Horizontal field of EDID> pixels;
HorizontalFrontPorch    = <Front Porch value from Horizontal field of EDID> pixels;
}
Field
{
Vertical Sync =
{
{
Length = 1.0H;
Low = 0.0 usec;
}
repeat <Sync Width from Vertical field of EDID>
{
Length = 1.0H;
}
}
Initial Low;
Vertical Back Porch =
{
{
Length = 1.0H;
High = HorizontalSync;
}
repeat <Back Porch from Vertical field of EDID - 2 (subtract 2 from the EDID value)>
{
Length = 1.0H;
Low = 0.0 usec;
High = HorizontalSync;
}
}
Initial High;
Active =
{
repeat <Active value from Vertical field of EDID>
{
Length = 1.0H;
Low = 0.0 usec;
High = HorizontalSync;
}
}
Vertical Front Porch =
{
repeat <Front Porch from Vertical field of EDID>
{
Length = 1.0H;
Low = 0.0 usec;
High = HorizontalSync;
}
}
}
#if 0
postprocess
{
dump edge;
}
#endif

As an example, here's the SwitchResX EDID info for a Dell 2407WFP:
Code:
Monitor Description blocks:
---------------------------
Descriptor #0 - Timing definition:
Mode = 1920 x 1200 @ 59.950Hz
Pixel Clock............. 154.00 MHz      Non-Interlaced

Horizontal      Vertical
Active.................. 1920 pixels      1200 lines
Front Porch.............   48 pixels         3 lines
Sync Width..............   32 pixels         6 lines
Back Porch..............   80 pixels        26 lines
Blanking................  160 pixels        35 lines
Total................... 2080 pixels      1235 lines
Scan Rate...............  74.038 kHz       59.950 Hz

Image Size..............  519 mm       324 mm
Border..................    0 pixels         0 lines

Sync: Digital separate with
* Negative vertical polarity
* Positive horizontal polarity
and here's that data inserted into the template:
Code:
/*
1920x1200 Format for Dell 2407WFP monitor - created by recondas using EDID information obtained from the monitor's firmware.
*/

General {
FormatName = "1920x1200_59.95-recondas-Dell_2407WFP";

FieldsPerFrame          = 1;
FramesPerSecond         = 59.95;
TotalLinesPerFrame      = 1235;
TotalPixelsPerLine      = 2080;
ActiveLinesPerFrame     = 1200;
ActivePixelsPerLine     = 1920;

}
Active Line {
HorizontalBackPorch     = 80 pixels;