Nekochan Net

A delicate request - Page 3

hamei wrote:
Oskar45 wrote: According to various polls, about 85+% of Chinese do believe in God.

You believe that?
Oh, you really have contradictory poll results? How interesting. In any case you've obviously completely missed the point of my previous post. Let me help you. What I was trying to suggest is that China - whether it believes in God or not - most certainly slavishly worships quite the *same* stoopid religions or braindead ignorant stinking crap that you, as usual, accuse US and Europe do worship. Read John 8:7 and you will know what I meant...
If man would have been created out of the rib of a woman - how different would the world be?
Oskar45 wrote: What I was trying to suggest is that China - whether it believes in God or not - most certainly slavishly worships quite the *same* stoopid religions ...

... he says, sitting in his rocking chair half the globe away with no knowledge whatsoever of Chinese people, Chinese culture, or Chinese history. But hey, he's got a poll !
Oskar45 wrote: they have their roots in the 1870's

thanks for clearing that up oskar, browsing a synopsis online can be as useful as a fish shopping for a pair of shoes. i'm aware of creation sciences, but the title of "intelligent design" brought out an allergy in me since most things today are labeled "easy" "intelligent" "creative" etc. still, why would anyone blab over a typical set of theology based on christianity and try to mix+match a "scientific" clockwork approach, is beyond me.

ps: i got your current sig allrighty, i was just following up on hamei's reference about vices

mgt sums it up nicely as faith is the common denominator in every type of religion. besides a few efforts to explain genesis/cosmos or any other existential part, the main function of religion was to provide some sort of behavioural cookbook. now we have ultrabright-ready-in-10-seconds cultures coming out of a tv set. nouveau-riche kewl, evolution y'all!

mgtremaine wrote: Obviously I can only speak for the slice of society I see from where I'm standing. Your quote of "No different..bible but a hell of a lot more popular nowadays" is not true. Most people in America have no economic ideas or even knowledge, but 70% say they are Christian and 40%+ say creationism is true. That's a problem.

i'd take that a bit further w/ a few thoughts

-unless the main interest in this thread is statistical, i wouldn't worry too much about it. polls are being cooked daily and they provide yet another distraction for a "we smart, them dumb" placebo.

-when most people (whatever their initial stance on religion is) base their erections /lives on financial indices/services of invisible hands, then we have a major problem. we've been there (elevate money into a religious pedestal) before, didn't work out.
hamei wrote:
Oskar45 wrote: What I was trying to suggest is that China - whether it believes in God or not - most certainly slavishly worships quite the *same* stoopid religions ...

... he says, sitting in his rocking chair half the globe away with no knowledge whatsoever of Chinese people, Chinese culture, or Chinese history. But hey, he's got a poll !

Who is "he"?
If man would have been created out of the rib of a woman - how different would the world be?
Oskar45 wrote: Who is "he"?
He who? :mrgreen:

I'll throw in my two cents: I think the reason religion is important to most people is because they cannot tolerate the thought that the universe is a random statistical fluctuation, to which there is no point...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...
vishnu wrote:
Oskar45 wrote: Who is "he"?
He who? :mrgreen:

I'll throw in my two cents: I think the reason religion is important to most people is because they cannot tolerate the thought that the universe is a random statistical fluctuation, to which there is no point...

As evidenced by how many "chosen people" there are ;)

-Mike
mgtremaine wrote: As evidenced by how many "chosen people" there are ;)

-Mike
And who are these "chosen people"?
Oskar45 wrote:
mgtremaine wrote: As evidenced by how many "chosen people" there are ;)

-Mike
And who are these "chosen people"?

Well let's see what the wiki oracle says...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chosen_people

Huh, the Rastafarians didn't see that coming.

-Mike
I got to see the inside of this huge scam a "holy man" was running ... He said I should start my own religion for the tax breaks... maybe something to do with the worship of cats, anime, and retro technology... I wonder what I'l call it ;) :lol:

Nonsense...? Really...? Best tax scheme ever just ask Ron L H.. ;)

I think the flying spaghetti monster has already been discussed here...

R.
死の神はりんごだけ食べる

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

Twitter @PymbleSoftware
Current Apps (iOS) -> https://itunes.apple.com/au/artist/pymb ... d553990081
(Android) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deve ... +Ltd&hl=en
(Onyx2) Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
(0300s) Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
PymbleSoftware wrote: I think the flying spaghetti monster has already been discussed here...

You might not believe in It, but that's no reason not to use capital letters, blasphemer!
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
miod wrote:
PymbleSoftware wrote: I think the flying spaghetti monster has already been discussed here...

You might not believe in It, but that's no reason not to use capital letters, blasphemer!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Now this is a deep dark secret, so everybody keep it quiet :)
It turns out that when reset, the WD33C93 defaults to a SCSI ID of 0, and it was simpler to leave it that way... -- Dave Olson, in comp.sys.sgi

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2: (2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum : almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted : GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)
PymbleSoftware wrote: He said I should start my own religion [...]
While it wasn't translated from German into English, Adolf Holl [internationally renowned author of "Jesus in Bad Company"] had written a book named "Wie gründe ich eine Religion?" [something like "How do I found a religion?", in English] - it would help you for sure :-)
miod wrote:

Maybe he believes in false monsters...
fu wrote: i'm aware of creation sciences, but the title of "intelligent design" brought out an allergy in me since most things today are labeled "easy" "intelligent" "creative" etc.
Actually, while today "Intelligent Design" is considered a more modern movement, arguments against it can already be found in certain documents discovered in the Nag Hammadi library: this creation was not good, not in the least, and it was the result of a cosmic catastrophe, brought into being by an inferior and ignorant deity who erroneously imagined he was God Almighty [what a lovely paradox!]. Consult Mohammed Ali.
I feel a demiurge coming on...
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:
Oskar45 wrote: Actually, while today "Intelligent Design" is considered a more modern movement, arguments against it can already be found in certain documents discovered in the Nag Hammadi library: this creation was not good, not in the least, and it was the result of a cosmic catastrophe, brought into being by an inferior and ignorant deity who erroneously imagined he was God Almighty [what a lovely paradox!]. Consult Mohammed Ali.

Now that make sense. I've always known the only deity worth worshipping was the Holy Pumpkin. The Flying Spaghetti Monster, despite holy^Wserious credentials, is no match for the Holy Pumpkin.
:Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo: R4000 :Indigo2: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R4400 :Indigo2: R8000 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indy: R4000PC :Indy: R4000SC :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000SC :O2: R5000 :O2: RM7000 :Octane: 2xR10000 :Octane: R12000 :O200: 2xR12000 :O200: - :O200: 2x2xR10000 :Fuel: R16000 :O3x0: 4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI , Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...
I only have an undergrad in physics so I can't claim any expertise, but the Weak Anthropic Principle seems to me to answer a lot about what we're arguing about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle But regardless of how we got here, I think the Doomsday Argument makes a fairly accurate prediction of how we'll depart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_argument
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:
miod wrote: I've always known the only deity worth worshipping was the Holy Pumpkin.
HP, of course! And the oil pressed out of its seeds is the perfect anointment for salads :-)
371- 528 - 818 - ?
What I don't understand: since the OT is full of contradictions, how do fundamentalists [who take the Bible as the inspired words of God] decide the only correct way?
371- 528 - 818 - ?
Oskar45 wrote: What I don't understand: since the OT is full of contradictions, how do fundamentalists [who take the Bible as the inspired words of God] decide the only correct way?

Within the context of this thread is this to be construed as trolling?
"Brakes??? What Brakes???"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)